Heavy/Scratch: Calyx

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Treadshot A1, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

EDIT: Available here, for $6: http://www.shapeways.com/model/216142/calyx.html?gid=ug25757

So, following on from Petal, i designed a new gun transformer. Meant to be Petal's partner, Calyx stands ~30 mm tall, and converts from robot to triple barreled gun form and back again!

Bio: Calyx is a mass produced drone unit. Gang moulded with each Petal unit are always two Calyxes, who serve as helpers and weaponry. Calyx and her twin sister provide an extra 4 guns in robot mode, which become 6 dangerous barrels in gun mode. Unlike Petal, who takes his job very seriously, Calyx units couldn't care less for the job at hand, only for the Petal unit they are assigned to. The perfect foil, Petal's loyal nature is balanced out by Calyx's violent nature. Once annoyed, Calyx will never let a target go, not until they have been destroyed beyond repair. And twin femmes with 6 guns between them are not something you ever want to mess with. Never. But outside the battlefield, Calyx units revert to a calmer state, serving Petal. And anyone knows, two Calyxes get the chores done twice as fast. :D *

*my highly feminist English teacher will definitely hate this bio... :lol 

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Note: Calyx's ball joints use a 1mm stem. For safety, i applied a layer of superglue to them (WSF is porous so the glue doesn't make the ball any thicker).

EDIT: For scale purposes:

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    inception :D 

3. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    now for the DROSTE effect ;)  make a targetmaster for the targetsmaster's targetmaster :p 

4. Treadshot A1

Heh, never watched inception. :D 

Anyways, I don't think I'll be making a partner for Calyx. She's too small to warrant an even smaller partner.

5. fakebusker83

fakebusker83 Radicon

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You brought up concerns of breakage with the 1mm stem. Has there been occasion where it actually broke? How effective is the superglue in reinforcing it?

And Calyx is absolutely adorable...though some curved lines might help bring out her feminity, i.e. on the face.

And how does she do chores with barrels for hands? :lol 

6. Treadshot A1

Not yet. Just apply superglue and it's sturdy. I wouldnt hand it to a kid, just like any other Shapeways print, though. ;) 

Also, Calyx wasn't originally designed as a femme. But someone mentioned in Petal's thread I should make a highly masculine femme to juxtapose Petal's tendency to be mistaken for a girl. So I thought, "What would piss off my English teacher more than a femme fatale who's reduced to house chores?". :lol 

And by chores I meant executing Decepticons. :D 

7. fakebusker83

fakebusker83 Radicon

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  8. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Wow - how tiny is she? Any chance of a robot mode pic next to Petal, and maybe something more commonly owned (like your fave, Breacher)?

Also, FB - NO TROPES! Don't get me wrong, I love TV Tropes, but linking it leads to all kinds of trouble - mostly missing days. :p 

9. Treadshot A1

Let's see...she's half Petal's height, which would make her about half the height of, say, Dustup or Salvo. I'll post pics when I get home.

10. Treadshot A1

So, here's Windcharger with the Calyx twins. Hopefully everyone has a Windcharger... :lol 

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

11. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Nope, never seen him here. :p 

But he's a Scout, and I know roughly how big they are - so by my reckoning, they're about, what 30mm tall, maybe a little under? That really is tiny - I'm surprised you don't have snapping joints, especially with only 1mm ball shafts.

12. Treadshot A1

Be very damn careful, that's all i can say. There's no other way to make joints for her at this scale, so it's 1mm stemmed ball joints or bust. I haven't had any snapped, and only one i've seen frayed (which i damaged before the superglue, due to not removing the support material causing the ball socket to be too tight, completely my fault on that one).

Also, i love how you guessed ~30mm, when i made that same statement, let's see, oh that's right, in the OP! :lol 

Also, would anyone like to see this model upscaled? It would be doubled in diameter (so the ball joints would be 2mm stemmed), giving a 8x increase in volume. That would make her about the same size as Petal, and make here a hell of a lot stronger, but at the same time completely out of scale, canon-wise (because stuff i make up is totally canon :tongue:  ), and of course make her about, if i had to hazard a guess, $16-18.

13. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus #MoreSawBoss

News Credits:
    WOW...this is my fav design yet..tiny is good!