Customs: Calloway's Shapeways store question...

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Jericho, Mar 15, 2011.

1. Jericho

Jericho Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  2. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    White detail and transparent detail should produce similar results. The white detail is, according to the material spec., a little glossier, so it may appear to be smoother. I have a hard time seeing any difference, so I usually will go with transparent because it looks interesting, and it's a little less expensive.

3. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Is transparent smooth? Also would I get a discount having the same last name? :D 

4. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

The discount's a nice idea, but unless you asked him personally really nicely to temporarily drop his mark-up (assuming he has any) while you order, then it seems unlikely. :p 

And yeah, the Transparent's as smooth as the White or Black Detail. I'm surprised he doesn't even have the WSF options available at all (which are rougher in texture, but more durable and easy to paint), but there you go.

5. Fishdirt

News Credits:
    Ebay:

What's his first name? If I'm lucky he's a close enough relative that I could hassle him haha.

I'm mainly looking at his heads so, if possible, I want to avoid sanding anything.

6. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Nick. ;) 

And you won't have to sand anything; his heads are only available in Detail, which is the smoother plastic SW do. Not that you have to sand WSF anyway (you just need a little more paint)...

7. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    i got his constructicon heads in transparent detail and you dont have to sand but there are some things that are different with transparent than other materials. it seems a little softer to me and like a very dense rubber, so prep work took some time, but do not let that scare you from trying them Cashanova designs some great stuff and i am extremely happy with what i have got from him this far, and look forward to working with others through shapeways as well

8. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

I'm not sure the plastic itself is rubbery, but if there's any uncured residue still attached to the model, that does have that rubbery texture. If you give it a good clean, though (make sure to check out any recesses, as that's where the uncured stuff is most likely to gather), it should be fine.

9. Fishdirt

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Very informative info guys, thanks!