Calling all techno-geeks!! Help!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TENIME_art, Jan 28, 2008.

1. TENIME_art

TENIME_art Ethically Challenged

Ebay:
    I need a new scanner, seeing as how I took a sledge hammer to my old one, but I'm good with software, not hardware.

What kind of DPI should I look for? What brands should I want, which ones should I stay away from?

I get a discount at Dell through my job, and the only household scanner I found (the rest were $2K+, and big, industrial things) was:

Epson Perfection V200 Photo-Col FBScan
    4800x9600dpi
    48-bit color
    64k gray levels (16-bit)
    $89.99

Is this good? Can I do better? I really can't afford to spend more than $200, but depending on how amazing the scanner is, I might make an exception (though, it'd take me much, much longer to get it - I can do $100 and under right now...well, not right now, but this payday).

Should I grab this, or should I go to...Best Buy? *shudder*

I want what I scan to not look like it was scanned. I want a comic book page to look better than the physical copy. I want my drawings (what I need it for more than anything) to be crisp and go right into being colored in Photoshop, with little to no pre-editing.

Can anyone help? Please?

2. Frognal

Frognal Prodigal Son Returned

Seems decent enough, but I'm no authority on scanners.

3. Lance Halberd

Lance Halberd oh hai

News Credits:
    And something sledgehammer-proof by the sound of it.

4. Prowl2000

Prowl2000 Keep it sealed TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    if you're going to get that one get it directly from Epson and save yourself 10 bugs. the price is ok.

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/ProductCategory.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&oid=-8172

Personally if I was to get a scanner I'd go for the v350 because you can scan slides. The trick to what you're trying to do in general, I had to scan in animation cells from animation paper for my internship in 2000. You want to increase the contract of the image in photoshop and that way you get a nice defined line for the image.

For Scanners, Epson is pretty good. HP has been getting loads better. I know when I Scan in photos on my HP you can tell the difference but you can clean it up pretty well in Photoshop.

5. TENIME_art

TENIME_art Ethically Challenged

Ebay:
    I took a sledgehammer to my old one (an HP, no less), because it gave me nothing but problems from the second I took it out of the box. It would only connect to one computer (which recently stopped working), which was a piece of crap with Windows '98. I couldn't always get the program to scan, either. I had to keep it unplugged, and when I wanted to use it, plug it in, turn the computer on, and start scanning the second the computer was started up completely. And, it would sometimes scan a bunch of pictures, then crash (the program, not the computer). Hooking it up to a brand-spanking new computer with XP would install it, but double-clicking the icon on the desktop, or even hitting the button on the scanner - the computer wouldn't recognize the scanner was even installed, let alone hooked up/plugged in.

Thanks for the info, Prowl. I don't need it for slides or film negatives, but paper drawings is a definite must. And, the less I have to do to the picture in Photoshop before coloring means I'll scan more pictures in.

I'd go through Dell, because of my aforementioned discount, but if I can save more money going to the source, I'll do that, then. Is that a good DPI, though? I've never known what to look for regarding that...