calling all gearheads... new car question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sideways, May 27, 2008.

1. Sideways

Sideways Banned

hey all..

im thinking of trading in my 2005 Honda Civic Ex for a 2008 Scion TC..

i'd like to hear your opinions on the said car.. or if you know anyone that has has a Scion.. i took a test drive today and i do like it..

im just on the fence right now.....

this is the one.
    [​IMG]

2. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Unless you're set on the Scion or the Toyota brand, I'd go get a 2-door Ford Focus. Better gas mileage, looks just as nice, and is just a slight bit shorter. I should know, I've owned both, except my tC wasn't an 08. :lol 

3. cannabisprime

cannabisprime Well-Known Member

Any reason why you're contemplating this trade would probably be helpful as well. Has the Civic been giving you any problems?

4. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

I'd just get a new civic instead. they're redesigned so much from what you have, and IMO, look cool as hell and get great mpg.

5. bugmenot

bugmenot Banned

I'd hit it.

6. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

Get a Smartcar.

7. Cory Bauer

Cory Bauer Well-Known Member

I've had a tC since summer '04 when they originally came out, and love it. They look a lot nicer than the 2-door Honda Civic IMO, and without question sharper looking and more bang for the buck than the Ford Focus. The Focus is more comparable to a Corolla.

8. bugmenot

bugmenot Banned

Not to mention the Focus is built off the same platform since 2000, which in itself dates back to 1998 in the UK.

9. Bumble Prime

Bumble Prime all the time

tc- 160 base hp....................

theres your answer

10. gil

gil Godmaster

My buddy traded in a 05 Scion Tc for a brand new Civic SI. The total opposite of you.

IMO, I'd go Civic or Mazda3. Or if you really want a Tc, I think a new Tc coming soon, so you might hang onto the Civic a little longer until pics of the brand new Tc comes out. If you like it, save up for the new Tc. If you don't, go ahead and get the current Tc.

11. Cory Bauer

Yeah, tC is due for a total replacement in the next year, if it follows the same cycle as it's xA and xB brethren. Regarding the Mazda3, they are awesome cars but everyone and their brother-in-law has one; more importantly, insurance rates are very high for the Mazdas.

12. Sideways

Sideways Banned

well thanks for all ze input, bros... i'm gonna give it some thought..

a friend of mine has the 07 model and he told me that they're a great investment.
    plus the fact that you can do a shitload of modifying to them.

13. BrokenSVT

BrokenSVT It's not broken anymore.

The tC IS a Corolla. You do realize that eh?

I'm a bit biased, but if you're in the market for a new car, put some weight on the Focus. If you have doubts, contact www.focussport.com or read up on them at www.focaljet.com

Focussport tuned my SVT Focus, and those guys are fantastic. Randy is top-notch. FocalJet is my home-away-from-home, and is a tight-knit family, much like these boards.

That all being said, I'm a sucker for the new Civic. It's a great car, great-looking and a great performer.

14. Cory Bauer

How do you figure? The tC and the Corolla have zero in common with eachother. The Scion xD on the other hand shares the same engine as the Corolla.

15. BrokenSVT

BrokenSVT It's not broken anymore.

You cited that the Focus is comparable to a Corolla. My point is that the tC shares the platform of the Corolla, along with the now-defunct Celica. Moot point? Maybe.

I'll still take my beloved Focus(well, both of them) after driving the tC.

EDIT: Forgot to mention one thing. Before you say the two cars have "zero in common" with one another, start checking parts numbers. I think you'll find they share more than they don't.

16. bugmenot

bugmenot Banned

Actually the TC is built off Japanese market Caldina.

17. Cory Bauer

Right. The Avensis platform. And it uses a 2.4L 160HP Camry engine. It's a two-door coupe. The Focus is very much in line with the Corolla in terms of performance, vehicle type, price, MPG, and conservative stylings. That's not saying anything against the Corolla or Focus, just that they are a different kind of vehicle designed for different markets. I wouldn't recommend someone considering a sporty 2-door coupe look at the Ford Focus; it's not that kind of vehicle.

18. Bumble Prime

Bumble Prime all the time

a Tc is not a US spec corolla at all.... parts numbers be damned.... maybe the toyota motor company in some odd ploy to make a profit use parts on more than one model that are the same......

As far as "modding" goes........ With these "tuner cars" you will spend a lot of money squeezing out another 30 horsepower, which honestly isnt worth the time or money.

I learned this when i was young, I would buy an MR2 or a 240sx and drop 600 bucks on it and get 15 rwhp out of it. Now I have a 5.0 Mustang and can drop half that on it and get 30 rwhp.

So if you are looking at a performance minded car, all these choices are kid's stuff.... Just take the plunge and get something with at least 6 cylinders....

But if you're looking for an economical car that has a bit of power that can still be fun, My vote is still for the TC. A focus is no where near it performance wise, unless its an SVT which you will pay a lot more for and cant even be considered a normal street duty "focus". Civic Si's have 197 hp , but will cost you more used than a brand new Tc, so......

All scion TC's have the same motor with 160hp, so you wont have to shop for the "specialty model" like the Si's or SVT's and because of that there is no "rental car duty" model with 88 hp and no power windows. Plus if you ever do decide to go fast and furious lol They offer turbo kits and such, that i believe would still be warranty covered if installed at the dealer, dont quote me on that lol

Plus from a strictly design standpoint, the TC is the only one that hasn't tried to reinvent the headlight and looks by far the most ascetically pleasing and sleek.

19. Sideways

Sideways Banned

i've heard the "TC" stands for Toyota Celica, not Corolla..
    but anyways, thats what i heard.

20. Sideways

Sideways Banned

on a side note, the civic has been giving me problems..

like the MAINTAINENCE *sp?* REQUIRED flashes for a few seconds then goes off..

i had a friend , whos a mechanic, check it out. couldnt find what's causing it..