Calling all college toy collectors!

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by ComicGuy89, Dec 8, 2009.

1. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hey guys! College toy collectors have a bit of a rougher time than other collectors due to limited budgets and a MUCH MUCH smaller shelf space.

Let's share our experiences. How do you guys manage?

2. Soulmaster

Soulmaster Well-Known Member

the state gives me some money and I'm going for free to University, so I have some money to buy TFs... (not too many anyways)
    and I save them in boxes, and when it's holidays, I go to my city and leave them all there in their shelves :D 

3. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    Energon Skorponok, Rodimus, Prowl,skyblast, landmine, insecticon, energon starscream
    Really small shelf space but I think we did all right on a budget in college
    The two pack of skorponok and landmine for $20 at walmart helped a lot.

I still have all of them and whenever I see them in the corner of the collection,
    I remember those battles.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2009
  4. Sharktibolt

Sharktibolt Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No kidding! I've got so many Transformers on my desk here that not all of them can stand!

My mom puts money into my checking account, so when I need money I just withdraw from that. And I really only need money for Transformers as anything else I need is paid for by the money my dad puts on my Onecard (it's like a College only credit card).

But in addition to all the ones I buy while I'm here, I also have all the Transformers I need for my comic. There's currently a total of 40 figures here because of that fact.

But classes are done in two weeks. When I go home I'll be bringing all of them back with me (somehow), and I will leave some at home when time comes to return here.

5. theestampede

theestampede Wandering Artist

News Credits:
    I don't keep toys on my shelves at school so I'm not to worried about space.

Money wise, I have money left from working during the summer and sometimes I sell some of my older toys or trade them. Just got to limit myself.

6. Optimus Prime

Optimus Prime Roll out! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I used to have 3-5 Transformers displayed on my desk; not much room for any more than that. Usually a Leader (Movie Prime or Deep Desert Brawl), and Deluxes that I frequently rotated. I used to have Masterpiece Starscream and G1 Sixshot there for a short time, too.
    I transferred to a local college last year, though, and commute from home, so I've got all my TFs here with me now. I have a select bunch on my work desk, though, where I do all my homework. Right now it's Supreme Devastator, BWII Galvatron, Ejector, Gravity Bots Prime, RotF Black Soundwave, RotF Leader Optimus Prime, Repro-labeled cartoon accurate TFA Lockdown, Classics 2.0 Sideswipe, Galaxy Force Soundblaster, and, the centerpiece, a boxed, complete G1 Jetfire.
    Affording TFs is tough, since I only work part time and due to budget cuts only work one day a week. I have to spend very sparingly, and sometimes sell TFs to make up deficits. I haven't bought any TFs in a while because I'm saving up for Buster Prime and DVD Black Prime.
    Usually I work full time in the summer, though, and I have more money to spend (and sometimes regret spending) on Transformers.

7. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    I keep most of them at home, the ones with me are usually packed away in boxes and I have only a few on display at a time.

8. ersico

ersico Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    when i was in grad school, i had 2 slim bookshelves....each was about half full with chemistry related material, the other half had toys, i would collect whatever series was out at the time and fill up one shelf, as new series came out i would start to fill up the 2nd shelf........when 1 was too full i would leave my absolute favs out on one shelf and box up the rest in clear tupperware...so then .......one shelf had my favs. and the other had whatever was new out.......................hope this makes sense :)  im out of school now and married with a house,,,,,so now i deal with my wife........i have a spare rooom for my toys and an attic with about 8 large clear rubbermaid boxes full of tformers

9. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So it seems I'm not the only one who stores up my toys, but I'm running out of choices to store, because I LOVE THEM ALL.

10. Mr. Sparklebot

Mr. Sparklebot 'Til All Are Juan

News Credits:
    Same here man, I've got enough scholarships to pay for tuition and books, plus I live at home. Which means that I have more flexibility in buying TFs... but also being mindful to save for post-undergrad education, which will undoubtedly cost me much more.

11. Ironman

Ironman Well-Known Member

I started collecting my freshman year in college. Now, I'm a senior and will be finished next year.

I started collecting alternators first because I can recall seeing Sideswipe at a KB Toys for $27.90 in 2004. After purchasing six alternators, a few Beast Wars figures, a 1984 Starscream figure, I moved to more expensive Transformers: Masterpiece.

My first one was OP in 2007, then Megatron, then Starscream, The Skywarp.

I WILL get Grimlock once I have the money.:( 

I know I suck but I'm trying, guys.

12. _Galvatron_

_Galvatron_ Emperor of Destruction

I don't have to pay for college, as I was in the military (USAF, active duty).

I have two large wooden shelves on which I place my favorites.

Top shelf: Brave Maximus, G1 Scorponok, re-issue Predaking, D-62S purple re-issue Galvatron, God Ginrai re-issue, encore Omega Supreme, G1 Victory Leo.

Middle shelf: Leader Brawl (green), ROTF Leader Prime, ROTF Leader Megatron, ROTF deluxe Ravage...Boxed G1 Wal-Mart Starscream, MP Grimlock...and a whole lot of books.

The rest are boxed away, safe from the dust that I loathe so much.

But I have two new motorcycles and a car I just bought, so TFs are kind of on the back burner now. Until MP Rodimus drops, that is...

13. star_ling

star_ling Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Man I'm going through that right now. I have absolutely NO extra money, any I get I use for getting my hair done. So I get em when I can, especially with help. Just got Leader Class Shadow Blade Megatron the other day for $20, sales help a lot.

14. eisen

eisen "CUT ME SOME SLACKS!"

i dunno, down here it's harder to be a family man collector than a college one but my personal pact is to always jump at the lowest price possible for any given figure. which is why i spend most of my cash during the christmas season-mid january and on toy conventions and clearance sales. this applies to department stores AND specialty toy stores. for the rest of the year my buying is sporadic, and i just save at least 5$a day.

as for shelf space i don't have any, most of my stuff is in ziplock and plastic bins and i only take them out for play ( YES I DO THAT) or photography. zero figures are MIB, but that's a personal choice.

another is limiting the variety in my stuff. most of it is classics-universe with a few movie scouts and some G1 homages from ROTF. i also buy scrap bots and cheap KOs for custom projects.

it helps i have a little brother who has more influence on my parents (kids are so cute), and he usually asks me what's great to buy. and when he has them i wait a while to get some Cybertron voyager or animated figure on clearance and trade it for the ones i want on his display. :ev: 

15. Skylock

Skylock Rogue

News Credits:
    I still live at home while going to class, but I pay for it out of my own. I try to limit myself to a specific number of tfs or a certain amount spent per year. Let's just say I don't fare to well. :( 

16. just1nj

just1nj NERD GAZETTE

I have a part-time job. Nothing great, but I get what I can.

17. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I just finished Graduate school and... I had so many scholarships... I used my Grant money to buy toys. Thats how I got Lio Kaiser, Star Saber, Deszaras.... lol.

Undergrad... zero scholarships so I hardly brought Transformers. mainly just reissues because they were cheap.

The question should really be... where do you keep your Transformers while in College? Its hard to hook up with ladies when they are like "Why do you have so many toys?"

Happened to me once, played it off and said it was my roommates room... Next day, Transformers are in the closet.:thumbs2: 

18. just1nj

just1nj NERD GAZETTE

I'm not alone. The explaining what the things are is the hard part. It's like "shut up.. you ask stupid questions"

I didn't start busting out all the TFs until I was in a solid relationship, which I still am in. Funny thing is she watched the tv series more than I did when we were younger.

19. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:

lol, me too! My current Girlfriend is really the only girl that didn't run for the door when I showed her my armies.

20. _Galvatron_

_Galvatron_ Emperor of Destruction

Lucky b@$tard.