Call of the Primitives

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by weeklyhero, May 22, 2008.

1. weeklyhero

weeklyhero Prototytan

I just watched this episode a few days ago and I'l admit it's one of my favorites just because of the animation. That stuff was amazing. But beyond that, I have to ask what the hell happened?! I mean the Matrix was partially responsible for Unicron's creation? And then it calls all the animal Transformers because... they're animals?

And seeing the rest of season 3 makes me wonder... did Grimlock ever transform? How the hell was he able to build the Technobots with those tiny little hands?

2. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Grimlock, like, never transformed practically. I guess staying in dino mode so long made his brain fry.

Call of the primitives had the worst plot and character errors of all, but it had the best animation, which leaves me torn.

A few thigns I've wondered about since hearing them, though; Why at the beginning is Galvatron surprised Rodimus counter-attacks? I know Galv's is crazy but not stupid. (not that stupid anyway) And why is Sky-lynx considered primitive? He's like the smartest TF of all season three guys. (minus Computron)

3. Taker

Taker Chilean TF Fan

There's one answer, lad:

Bad script.

4. Cobalt Agent

Cobalt Agent My dick kills dinosaurs

Uh, Grimlock DOES transform in season three if you bother to pay close attention. Off the top of my head he does it in Madman's Paradise. Honestly I don't know where people get that Grimlock never transforms or shows up in robot mode, let alone that the Dinobots are any dumber than they were before the movie or less battle-ready.

I think that, if you payed attention, you'll remember the Oracle's statements about how the primitives were the only hope for beating a genius energy canibal simply because they don't need to think as hard as him to fight, which is partially true. Look at Grimlock's solution at the end of flipping a switch. Look at HunGrrr's unique attack using one of his heads to chew the ground up and the other to fire chunks of it at the enemy. The Dinobots set up an ambush fairly quickly on intinct after Slag ordered a tactical retreat. Now SkyLinx, the smartest one there, went down pretty easy by losing his temper. But all in all, yeah, it doesn't make much sense. Normally in order to beat someone that's smarter than you and dangerous, you want to get even smarter than them, not dumber. Still, I think it was a great episode if not for some of the questions it leaves unanswered.

5. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    While were on the subject of this call of the primitives. Would anyone believe that the entity know as the "apprentice" is actually primus in some dimensional avatar state?

It's how I justify the events of this episode fitting in coherently with the modern mythos.

sky lynx is based on the same technology as the beast designs. primitive Is not necessarily the same as stupid. The lower half of his frame is just as vicious as the predacons though and perhaps that's the primitive (savage) side of sky lynx's personality.

As for galvatron being surprised by the counter attack. Well that's just general for decepticons. They blast you and take it as a personal insult when you try to defend yourself.

6. Rodimus

Rodimus The Prime Producer

Off of the top of my head Grimlock did Transform quite often the episode "Chaos" and in the episode "Madman's Paradise". But yeah, it was a rarity for all the Dinobots in season 3. I guess because in Season 2 they got obliterated by the Decepticons every time they fought in robot mode (IE At the airport in Desertion of the Dinobots 1) so maybe the just figured, "What's the point in a robot mode"? Especially if they're so powerful in their Dinobot modes.

I always saw Call of the Primitive as a parody of The Wizard of Oz. Actually when you think about it, that's GOT to be what the writers were thinking when they wrote it. Wizard of Oz had all those crazy different characters comming together to follow the yellow brick road in the theme of "There's no place like Home". And that's exactly what happened with the Primitives when they were searching for that source. Then when they got there, Grimlock found out the most powerful entity in the universe was really just a little midget with a machine hidden in a cave just like the Wizard of Oz was.

But I do have to echo those torn sentiments by others here. Season 3 seams to be that way. The best stories seem to suffer from the poorer animation, while some of the best animation seems to suffer from a crappy plot. Though that's not always the case. Episodes like The Ultimate Weapon and The Burden Hardest to Bear are great examples of Transformers at it's best, having the complete package of great animation and good writing.

Call of the Primitives was OK storywise, but the Wizard of Oz rip off at the end just killed it. It had so much potential with the origins of Unicron being explained but they messed it up in that regard.

However, it's still a great episode to watch because up until the end, you have every thing you could ever want in a Transformers episode. Dinobots, Trypticon, Guestalt teams, epic battles, comedy, awesome music, breath taking animation, good voice acting and other great characters.

So while I agree with others that the ending stinks, it's not enough to kill the greatness of the episode as a whole for me.

7. sixshot2K

sixshot2K Soundwave is #1!

The little people looked like ewoks

8. weeklyhero

weeklyhero Prototytan

I guess that kinda makes some sense, but still raises a lot of questions. IF the Matrix is the accumilated wisdom of the Autobots, then why is it all brightened up after Unicron's creation, long before the Autobots showed up? And why hasn't it shown any other kind of sentience at all besides picking Hot Rod (which really doesn't sound all that sentient to me to begin with)?

I always figured the primitive didn't have to do with personality as much as alt mode. I mean, practically all of the Decepticons could be considered 'primitive' if we're going on behavior alone. Hell, that practically describes Galvatron to a T. I think in this episode though, they were just going with every Transformer that had an animal mode, but I still can't think of why (besides it looking cool).

9. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    Fantastic animation, horrible premise.

10. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Still, he's hardly primitive like the rest. Primitive by definition is crude, early, under-developed.... does this sound like Sky-lynx to you? And of course, remember, Grimlock and the Dinobots are not made by Quintessons, they were made by Wheeljack and Ratchet. So really, the only thing that linked the Primitives together was the fact that they all had animal forms. Speaking of which, where are the horrorcons when all this is going on.;) 

11. Sammael

Sammael MightyMegatron from ATT TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    My take on the episode is this:

1. Primacron is actually a Quintesson scientist responsible for the creation of Trans-Organics and some of the earliest primitives, as well as the super computer Vector Sigma. He was banished to another dimension at some point because his experiments were disturbing even to other Quintessons (and failures to boot). Incidentally, this dimension was also the prison of Unicron.

2. Primacron's assistant is an avatar of Primus (still in his weakened state) who attached himself to Primacron to monitor his experiments and imbue them with sparks of true life. He manipulated Primacron into constructing Vector Sigma as a conduit for Primus' life-giving energy. A number of special keys were made as interfaces to access Vector Sigma, including the one which would later become the Autobot Matrix of Leadership.

3. Primacron created Unicron's body to get revenge against the other Quintessons. The true Unicron then possessed the body, captured Primacron (his assistant escaped), questioned him, and learned about Vector Sigma, instantly recognizing his arch-rival's work at hand. He also learned about the keys, and he knew that he had to destroy them in order to prevent his arch-rival from destroying his new body. Having learned all he could from Primacron, he killed him - but Primacron managed to actually survive by transferring his consciousness into a new monkey-like trans-organic body.

4. The Assistant retreated to the center of the galaxy, hid, and created an Oracle-like interface. The reason why he counted on the primitives being able to defeat Primacron is because they were his one big failure, his reason for banishment, and the Assistant counted that Primacron would go berserk when he saw them, causing him to stop acting rationally and thus allowing himself to be defeated.

12. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

It wasnt the Matrix.

That was an animation error.

The studio that did the animation for that episode thoucht that the Matrix was a space shuttle.

13. Rodimus

You'd make a good writer!

From looking at this episode, I think of the word "Primitive" as simply meaning wild. IE, I think the bear and the dear out in my local woods are primitive.

14. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Still, it's not the correct deffinition for "primitive". They should have called it "Call of the wild", hell, that already sounds better IMO.

15. E Nice

E Nice Well-Known Member

Perhaps the Matrix/oracle/thing was looking for unpredicability. An intelligent person would be thinking of what an opponent may do and plan a counter. But if one couldn't figure out what an opponent was thinking than it may be harder to defend against. Other Autobots and Decepticons would most likely be trying to figure out the situation and plan what to do for their next moves while the 'primitives' simply did something on whim.

16. Rodimus

That does sound cool. Only thing missing is a plural tense to reference all the beastly alt mode transformers.

Good point. At the end Primacron seemed totally shocked at how Grimlock interfered by pushing that (appropriate) buttton and how he destroyed everything, and yelled at him like, "You stupid baffoon!" or something to the effect... and Grimlock replied,
    "Why you call Grimlock stupid?"
    Primacron:"YOU RUINED MY LAB!!!"
    Grimlock [Laughs]: "Grimlock think that the smartest thing he done all day!"