Call of the primatives, where did it come from?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by fiire_dragon_88, May 13, 2008.

1. fiire_dragon_88

fiire_dragon_88 Andimus Prime Time

I've been looking at the forums lately and an episode of G1 came up a couple of times that I all of a sudden remembered. Call of the primatives featured a really bad stry line in my opinion, what with unicron being made by a monkey.

My question is why the animation was so freakin unbeleavable. If season 3 was done like that all the time it might have made up for a few bad episodes, ones I won't name because we all know the ones.

Does anyone know why this episode in perticular had such great animation, I personally beleave they had great animaters do it so they wouldn't fubar Unicron.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2016
  2. Golden Age

Golden Age BATTLE BEAST

they probably just had it shipped to another animation studio. It looks like the show used about 3-4 different ones.

3. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    same reason why some eps are handled by different writers. workload distribution.

4. Rodimus

Rodimus The Prime Producer

You are correct to believe it was shipped to be animated by a different studio. It was animated by Tokyo Movie Shinsha because Sunbow/Toi were falling behind schedule so Hasbro hired Tokyo Movie Shinsha.

Basically G1 was animated by several different companies and it showed.

Akom did the bad looking ones. They were used when budget costs were a major issue. Nelson Shin, the top producer/director of The Transformers, owned Akom so that's what they used in these instances. Akom also did animation for the Challenge of the GoBots.

Sunbow & TOEI animated the majority of episodes. (Toei were the same company who animated Voltron. They also did the Japanese dubbing of "The Transformers" for the Japanese audience, and were responsible for the creation of The Headmasters, Masterforce, and Victory.)

Tokyo Movie Shinsha animated Call of the Primatives and they're also responsible for some of the season 4 intros/toy commercials. The reason why Call of the Primatives was so much better is because they didn't have the strict deadlines like the other companies had, and therefore could take the time to work out the fine details to make the amazing animation Call of the Primatives turned out.

5. Red leader

Red leader Nom Nom Nom

News Credits:
    awesome episode, I remeber getting the video in a crayon pack and loving how good it looke d along with the story being about all the beast formers, thanks for the info rodimus :) 

6. Rodimus

Rodimus The Prime Producer

No Problem. :) 

7. fiire_dragon_88

fiire_dragon_88 Andimus Prime Time

Awesome info, you just answered a 4 year long ponder of mine in one paragraph. Wish they could have done that animation studio for the other episodes, maybe G1 would have been a lot better with a bit shorter seasons and some better animation and writing. I guess a cartoon in those days just revolved around selling toys though.

8. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I hadn't heard that TMS did that episode before, though it makes sense. I had originally assumed Toei had done the work, but it was one of the 'heavier duty' units within the company, and/or some of the same animators who worked on the movie. It makes sense that a different company was used, as there were a few stylistic differences not usually seen in TF cartoons (for instance any robot with horns/antennas had them get notably longer 'n' pointier in this ep)

TMS has a pretty impressive resume overall. I believe they were the primary animation company for "Mighty Orbots", and were responsible for many of the really well-animated episodes from the Disney and Warner TV cartoon series of the late eighties and early to mid-nineties. - to give a few examples.