Call of Duty possibly getting "Pay to Play" membership

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Joe Moore, Jul 19, 2010.

1. AMG

AMG Old School

Sadly, if pay to play does come to pass, I expect many people will buy into this money grabbing scheme by Activision without hesitation.

2. G1Wheeljack

G1Wheeljack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I really hope enough people protest/refuse to play or buy to get this to stop.It's already enough I have to pay for Live, don't make me pay extra to play your game.

3. Prowl_Delta_31

Prowl_Delta_31 Eating your donuts

News Credits:
  4. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    I'm sure Activision will do it, but I don't really think Michael Pachter knows what he's talking about when he says they "must" do it. Activision will do it because they know they can get away with it. Not because they need the money. has Pachter ever been right about anything? I can't recall a single case of him being right.

5. mineraljane

mineraljane Gravity Hugger

News Credits:

Well, then Activision's CEO said this in recent interview:

Activision would definitely like to make the move to a subscription-based model and have undoubtedly explored their options, but those already loudly showing their displeasure to this "leak" help prevent that from happening.

6. Kevin XI

Kevin XI Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    60% because of COD? That seems a little... optimistic of him.
    So they want thier cut of the income stream? Will my subscription fees increase? Hope not. I don't play COD that much.

7. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    i thought i already paid to play online?

hmm

well i dont play much COD anymore and im not interested in the next one much so. guess im safe. for now :p 

8. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I thought I already paid for online play by paying for Xbox Live, too. Hopefully it's true and they aren't adding charges, but Activision..

Well, I guess WFC is my last Activision game. (not that I have many, just it and ROTF)

9. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    What's more annoying isn't that Activision is doing something like this, but that countless people will still pay and all that will do is encourage other companies to do it also.

I dislike this whole obession with aditional fees to games, be in the form of DLC or a subscription. Its like your milking people dry and in the long run it really could change a lot, for better or worse.

10. Orion_Prime48

Orion_Prime48 Super Sentai Purist

News Credits:
    no way in hell am i buying a game used, paying to have Live and then having to pay another $10 just so I can play with my friends

imho if this comes to fruition with all developers paying for Xbox live will be pointless.

11. Dirge121

Dirge121 I'll be your end of days

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Meh, subscription based gaming isnt anything new. I know the denial is tempting, but you can blame games like Warcraft for that, not DLC.
    I didnt think Modern Warfare 2 was anything special to be honest, havent played my copy in months. If they want to charge extra I'll be happy to give it the same treatment as the map pack, ignored.

12. Zeta Otaku

Zeta Otaku Who ya gonna call? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ok... this is absurd. I enjoy Modern Warfare. I'll buy the map packs, gladly even. I will NOT, however, subscribe to another monthly service. I pay XBL enough.

13. Crazymadman

Crazymadman Dewbot leader

Fuck to the NO.

14. MrSoundwaveGuy

MrSoundwaveGuy I've made a huge mistake

News Credits:
    eh, was never that big a fan of MW2 anyways. Only got it to play with friends, but if I'm going to have to pay a membership I'll just stop playing

15. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    Well, Im glad Ive been usually a single campaign player; multiplayer has been fun,but its worn off me over the last year

16. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Camaro Club! Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I hate when game force multiplayer into a game that does not need it. I am not a big fan of online games anyways just one more thing that would make me want to stay away.

17. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    While Treyarch and Infinity Ward are saying that CoD will never have a separate pay to play online system, they actually have no control over that. If Activision wants it, then it will be there. Do you think the developers of EA's MMA game had any say in the last minute implementation of their online membership system?

18. peeman

peeman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Regardless of the pay as your play scheme is anyone else getting annoyed at buying a new COD every year now? I purchased world at war and modern warfare 2 and now me and my friends have gone back to playing COD 4 which is a much better game on-line. They seem to just be rushed out every year for Christmas and i think the quality has dropped even if its only slightly

As for the scheme i wouldn't mind it . . . . . . provided they stop charging for live. Surely were already paying a subscription?

Also i think people are smarter than we give them credit for. Dont get me wrong someone who is willing to shell out £10/$10 to play a game wont have a problem paying £20/$20 but there's a huge psychological difference going from £0/$0 to £1/$1. I dont pay to download the additional map packs and like alot of people i wouldn't buy COD if i have to pay extra to play on-line ..... in fact i would also consider cancelling live as it kinda loses the point ..... which raises an interesting question ..... I wonder what MICROSOFT will think of this.

19. Darkwing48

Darkwing48 Heroic Decepticon

From The Case Against Call of Duty Subscriptions - Yahoo! News

20. Kando

Kando Well-Known Member

Kotick at it again.