Call of Duty 4 - I need some education on this

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by e3nine, Nov 5, 2007.

1. e3nine

e3nine Poop.

News Credits:
    Mornin y'all,

I'm a Halo guy. I started with the series back on the Xbox's launch date in 2001. It's easily been the most played title in my gaming history.

I'm partially a fanboy ... well ... because I have good reason.

The Orange Box was released and I passed on it, only because it was a week or 2 after H3's launch. It was all in bad timing.

Now, COD4 is due tomorrow. I hear random chatter on how this will "smoke" Halo 3. I hear about how this will be "game of the year". Needless to say, this game has my attention ... but I don't know a darn reason why.

Can someone educate me on the pros, cons, features, and such of this title?

Thaaaaanks

2. Savanna

Savanna Want to Touch my Wankel?

I don't know about it smoking Halo, but from the MP beta they had on Live I liked it just as much, but also expect less people on my friends list to get it than Halo 3.

Unlike the other CoDs, this one is set Modern, no WW2 fighting finally. Every game you earn Exp and go thru the ranks to unlock more Guns and Classes, and Perks. Within your classes you can unlock certain Scopes and Camos by getting X amount of kills with a certain gun or Headshots with it that are called Challenges. You gain Xp for completing them to. There are Non Gun Challenges that you just randomly get while playing that also give XP like a streak of 7 kills or launching a UAV X amount of times.

Unlike Halo, getting a kill streak is helpful to your team at all times in all game modes. At 3 Kills you can launch a UAV that is a Radar device tht pings the entire map for 30 seconds at about a Ping per 2/3 seconds easily tracking the enemy. 5 Kills you can bring in a Airraid. You get a full map, and you will see enemy positions if there is a UAV up, or someone can see them moving or shooting. At 7 Kills you bring in Helo that just flys arounf the map for at least a minute and reigns death on the other team. Its rounds are powerful enuf to go thru most normal building walls and take you out. If you have a RPG Perk you can launch and try to hit it.

That is all I can remember from it right now. I plan to have the game, but most likely not till the Xmas time of year.

3. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    Call of duty 1-3 were pretty good but I liked them mostly because it was WW2 stories. I didnt think id be interested in modern warfare but then I saw the previews. I wouldnt compare it to Halo series though. Youre talking about a military game vs a fiction/fantasy game

4. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

I had fun because there were things to work towards more than just a rank. The boot camp and indvidual weapon goals will keep me playing for a long time. Its easy to suicide bomb since you can cook grenades until they explode. It pisses people off, especially when you just stand behind them and hold the grenade the whole time and they get to watch it on the kill cam. Also hitting people in the face with grenades and scoring a kill is awsome.

I enjoy the MP of CoD better than Halo's just for the fact that I can instantly see how I was killed while Halo leaves me questioning a lot of things sometimes and the various goals it gives you in bootcamp (get x kills while crouched, sprint 26 miles, get x knife kills, call UAV x times).

You can get Call of Duty 3 for free if you can get it at Circuit City. CoD3's single player isn't much fun but the multiplayer is done very well and plays similar to 4's other than the setting, weapons, and custom classes/perks.

5. jdre_124

jdre_124 Super Dick

News Credits:
    CoD 4 is the most fun I've had online PERIOD. I only got off the Beta because I wanted to finish the fight. Infact I think I will probably play CoD 4 all this holiday except for when you guys are on. I wont have it tomorrow sadly. I am broke. GH3 and H3 should tie me over for awhile though.

6. Atomsplitter

Atomsplitter Needs a new title.

Extremely seconded. I don't know exactly what it was about the beta, but it was easily the most fun i've ever had in a multiplayer experience, and i've played a lot of online games. Usually I tire of the MP parts of games quickly, but with COD4 I just couldn't get enough.

I love using modern weapons, I love fighting in the modern day, I love earning new weapons and skills for my character, and having optional challenges to get extra equipment for the weapons. It's a blast.

It might not win GOTY (although I think it might take it for me personally, we'll have to see), but it is big.

7. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm getting it. I suggest teams of TFW2005 members

8. seven

It should be in most stores already. I grabbed my CE at Gamestop a few hours ago. I was amazed at the amount of preorders they had for the game, atleast 50 copies were setting out waiting to be claimed.

Part of the reason I loved CoD4s (and 3s) multiplayer is its so easy to just jump in and play a few rounds. Its also one of the few games that I'll completley play with randoms where as most other games I rarley play unless its with friends. I just hope the modern day setting doesn't draw out all the asstard little kids.

Also sprinting.

Edit: At level 11 (I think) you get the ability to add a clan tag before your gamertag in game. I'm not sure about actual clan options though. Me and my friend used Bloo as our tags.

9. Atomsplitter

Atomsplitter Needs a new title.

Did you get a call saying they had your copy, or no? I have one reserved, but the store is a little bit away, and I don't want to drive up there tomorrow if i'm just going to have to go there to get it the next day... Hmm.

10. Savanna

Savanna Want to Touch my Wankel?

Its just nothing more than a Tag, no options. You can change it as much as you like or never use it.

11. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    CoD4 online was pretty kickin in the beta

i dunno if ill slap down the money to get it right away [specially since i havent picked up the Lego Star Wars Complete Saga yet :3]

but im definately buyin

12. Tech Spec

Tech Spec Breeze Loo

News Credits:
    The beta was fun! I will get this game eventually maybe after X-mas.

13. seven

I got a call from Aeris on Sunday saying it should be in Monday evening. Aeris is the automated line for Gamestop/EB and is an 817 area code number. I called the store around noon yesterday and they told me they should have it in around 4 or 5, went at 5 and they had a ton of copies setting out freshly unpacked and tagged with pre order information.

14. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Got mine today.. played a little single player. Good stuff. Tried online but guess no one is playing at the moment...

15. Gnaw

Gnaw Banned

The game's getting raving reviews. I've bought and played all of the Call of Dutie's released, and I have to say, I look forward to this one the most. Graphics can finally keep up with what the developers want to do (intense battles on a large scale with no framerate issues). Can't wait to play!

16. Max-prime

Max-prime Supreme-Commander

News Credits:
    its plays much the same as the beta .... although you cant really compare the two COD4 is just sooo much fun to play in multi. it very fast pace and makes for alot of "oh shit reload reload moments" but it just adds to the fun. against tatical games like graw,graw 2, rainbow 6 its easily head and shoulders above them.