California based TF specialized shops

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Cheem The Rup, Jun 14, 2010.

1. Cheem The Rup

Cheem The Rup Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As title: in August I'll go around up and down in California for vacation and I would to know if there are tf toys specialized shops (or if not specialized in TF, that could have a great stock of import and domestic TFs) that could be worth to visit :) 

Thanks in advance guys

^__^

2. jason jupiter

jason jupiter weird/ rare g1 KO hunter

just one place you can get everything :) 

check out the frank and sons show....post in the sightings thread and maybe a couple of us local guys will be free and can meet up with you.

Welcome to the Frank & Son Collectible Show

3. The Crazy Collector

The Crazy Collector Well, that's just Prime! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    If you're in Sacramento, check out Toy Fusion. A good friend of mine runs the place. They specialize in just about everything toy related from the '80s so they have more than just Transformers. It's always fun to just wander around the shop, even if you don't buy anything!

4. Cheem The Rup

News Credits:
    wow thanks so much friends ^__^ I just have put these two stores on my vacation list eheh :) 

5. sixpointsinspace

sixpointsinspace Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Any in the San Francisco area I can't miss? I am looking for Beast Wars mostly and Japanese stuff. I will be down there in July for a Paul McCartney concert with the wife.

6. War Bearer

War Bearer Banned

A store in Redwood city called Curious Thing has Beast Wars Deluxe and Basics and a Beast Machines Blackarachnia. The problem with that store is that they open when they feel like it and the best way is to call them before you go there

7. IACON

IACON "That's Vector Sigma?" TFW2005 Supporter

Not that I know of in SF. But if you are interested in toy shops then you have "Jeffery's Toys" - a block away from Market and Montgomery. They have some recent TF toys, but not vintage toys.

Also there is also "Action Figure Freddy LLC" on 801 Mission Str. I haven't been there in ages, but he deals with Japanese toys and anime. He also has some TF toys. I'm not sure if the store is in business, but its worth checking.

8. kamuix

kamuix weeeeee

Not much in San Francisco that I know of. There is a place called Hero's Club which has a nice assortment of imported goods including transformers located on Clement. The only bad thing is that they charge a bit more than usual. Also in Japantown, there is a little store near the restaurants inside the building. I think there website is JPNTOYS . Japantown is located on Geary Street. You can't miss it as its a huge area.

9. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Comic Ink - Dublin, CA

News Credits:
    I'd head down to San Jose for Time Tunnel...not really too much worth while in SF anymore...the BEST place for 'bots closed down heir shop (Kimono My House) but they still sell on the web...

10. Miggytron

Miggytron Slag Sucking Saurian

Frank and Sons isn't a store. It's a warehouse set up like a toy/hobby/comic convention dealer room except it's there all the time. Love that place. Keep in mind they're only open on Saturdays and Wednesdays I believe.

Bring a lot of cash.

11. Seawing

Seawing Lurker of the depths Moderator

News Credits:
    If you are going to be in San Jose around Aug 14, Time Tunnel also puts on a toy show twice a year at the Fair Grounds.

Also a couple of doors down from Time Tunnel's store is Space Cat Comics and they have some G1 figures and parts for sale too.

Time Tunnel mainly focuses on vintage toys but they might have some of the new ones from time to time.

Space Cat deals mostly in vintage figures.

12. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    I second this.

13. Skylock

Skylock Rogue

News Credits:
    I gotta say though, Frank n sons isn't what it used to be. The place ran pretty dry on TFs about a year or so ago.

14. Wyvern

Wyvern Velvet Sanchez

News Credits:
    Hmmm.... anything around the San Diego area?

15. oxidative

oxidative last chance to evacuate

I'm not sure if it's still there, but I enjoyed Kimono My House in Berkeley.
    1424 62nd Street
    Emeryville, CA 94608-2036
    (510) 654-4627

They don't have a whole lot for TFs but it's a very fun Japanese toy experience. The store is packed to the gills and it's an adventure just getting there.

I haven't been there in about 4 years so please call first to make sure it still exists :D 

16. OptionZero

OptionZero Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Jpntoys in SF Japantown has horrible selection. There's some Japanese BW and an alternity or two, that's pretty much it.

Don't even bother with Hero's Club on Clement St - i'm not even sure if it's still open, and when it was, it was mainly for statutes (Godzilla, ultraman, etc).

Jeffrey's Toys occasionally gets mass market stuff early (they had Animated and movie early) but its ridiculously overpriced. Leader Animated Megatron was $75; Classics Prowl was $25. They will not have overseas stuff, just mass market stuff.

The best place in SF is Comics and Cards Central on Geary. They are an anime and comic shop and have alot of japanese TFs. It won't be cheap.

In Sacramento, I have to back Toy Fusion. Owner is wicked cool, and they sell alot of stuff on a consignment basis so you can access to others' personal collections. Lots of rare stuff from the 80's and 90's.

Otherwise . . . there aren't really "specialized shops." Frankly, I would stick to getting stuff on the internet. The only time you can really get access to rare stuff and not get raped at a storefront is Botcon, when there are dealers who want to move stock and might be willing to haggle. You might also be willing to trade with fellow collectors.

17. Cheem The Rup

News Credits:
    Ah ok, now I undestand perfectly :)  Ok, then this will be the number one place to visit eheh :D 

Thanks for these infos ^__^

18. Cheem The Rup

News Credits:
    Yeah, Botcon should be THE DREAM :)  I hope to make a Botcon trip in future, but I need to bring a very big lot of those great green papers that are so usefull :D  I hope it'll happen next year...

19. sixpointsinspace

sixpointsinspace Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Anyone recommend a safe inexpensive hotel in San Francisco proper? I can't find anything that doesn't look dodgy for less than $120 a night.

20. Miggytron

Miggytron Slag Sucking Saurian

Holiday Inn Express at the Fisherman's Wharf is where we stayed a few months ago. Was amazed with what we got for what we payed. Clean, safe, free internet, free breakfast, walking distance to the Wharf.