cable tie correct name?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sunstreakerx5, Sep 2, 2012.

1. sunstreakerx5

sunstreakerx5 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Does anyone know where I can buy cable ties, not the ones that lock like these:
    BUY 2 GET 1 FREE 50 x BLACK CABLE TIES 300mm x 4.8mm ZIP TIE BASES ALL SIZES | eBay

but the ones that wrap around on some transformers toy packaging?
    I use to have loads of these but threw most of them away and kept the ones I needed. I just need four to secure my autoart 1:18 cars.
    I having problems finding the correct name for them so I can see if they are on ebay or some online store.

2. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I've always known them as twist ties, but a quick search show the thin ones. Searching twist wires yields some thicker ones, but some aren't plastic coated or barb wire or something.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2012
  3. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    Look inside boxes of garbage bags, ones without pull strings. You can probably find them in a dollar store if you don't have any.

4. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Wire ties maybe?

5. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Go ask at your local hardware store. Take along an example to show staff. They might have exactly what you want. And if not they might know what it's called so you can better search online.

6. sunstreakerx5

sunstreakerx5 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Some really good suggestions here thanks guys. I did ask the hardware stores and showed the wire tire sample left over from my reissue G1 prime I had. It was good speaking to them. They did mentioned going to dollar/pound stores. Annoyingly, one of the pound stores closed permanently so I am gonna check the other stores out of town.
    I did recall Hasbro even called them a wire tire when they were speaking about reducing packging waste in a press release.
    Still cant find them on ebay. I am going to check some old boxes we kept and might strike it gold. you never know. I am also gonna start to rally up to ask people. Apparently, my mum was cleaning up for the start of the school season and she threw out something similar to what I showed her. Shes gonna check if theres any left over.

7. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator

News Credits:

Around here, we call those type of ties...Zip ties.

I was thinking if you want something that wouldn't damage the paint or bot but still offer a twist tie effect..go to a floral center (WalMart or other discount chain there should have an area or even a crafts or hobby store) and pick up the white paper covered wire ties or sometimes they're green paper covered...you usually get a package of 20 or more and they can be cut to fit.
    Good luck.

Did you try Amazon.uk??

http://www.amazon.com/Multipack-American-Classics-Corp-FL026/dp/B005NB3MFG/ref=sr_1_4?s=arts-crafts&ie=UTF8&qid=1346809455&sr=1-4&keywords=floral+wire

http://www.amazon.com/24-White-Covered-Floral-Wire/dp/B0008DI9VQ/ref=pd_sim_sbs_ac_2

8. Mykamusprime

Mykamusprime Well-Known Member

If you need a whole lot of them, you can check at uline.com. They have lots of them pre-cut and on spools.