C.O.P.S.

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Ioz, May 3, 2010.

1. Ioz

Ioz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Any fans of the 1980s weekday cartoon show here? It also ran for a short time on CBS Saturday mornings as CyberCOPS. I've bought both DVD sets (Volume 2 was released recently as an exclusive on shoutfactory.com). I would say my favorite characters are Mace and Buttons McBoomBoom. I enjoyed the relationship between Mace and Nightshade.

2. silentdarth

silentdarth Josie's Daddy

Ebay:
    I liked it.

3. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    I liked the show the few times I watched it. Thought the toys were kinda neat too.

4. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

I remember the show and loved it as a kid. I sadly don't remember much else than that. Mace was my favorite character design though.

5. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

It was a fun show, thanks for making me feel old.

6. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    Watched it and i had a couple toys i got at a thrift shop, no clue what happened to them though.

7. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    Wait, the rest of the series finally got released? Hells yeah!

8. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    Unfortunately, no. Vol 2 has only 21 eps. There are still 20-something eps yet to go out of the 65 that were produced. I guess if V2 sells well enough as an online exclusive for Shout! then we'll get a V3 to complete the series. I haven't ordered mine yet but plan to soon.

I loved C.O.P.S. as well, although my opinion of the show has changed over time. Some things seem kinda cheesy now, but I still think it's kinda cool.

9. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Best theme song of that era for sure. I haven't watched the show in decades but I can still hear that song.

Favorite Characters... the creepy scientist with the Brain and the guy with the chest machine guns/purple suit. Can't remember any names....

10. lord ginrai

lord ginrai Beastie lover

News Credits:
    Yep, used to love that show as a kid!

11. Ioz

Ioz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yep, the Volume 2 DVD was released this March as an exclusive on shoutfactory.com (it is also available on Amazon and Ebay for the same price). If it sells enough copies, they will make a Volume 3 set to finish it off.

12. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

Funny you mention. My friend and I were just talking about this yesterday. I thought it was a great show and the toys were very cool. I love the cap-gun effect they had. And the dual pod police copter was really cool.

13. Janitor

Janitor Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    "Fighting crime in a future time!"

I loved that show! The intro was amazing: terrific animation plus awesome action (can someone post a YouTube link or something for all to share? I'm @ work and it's blocked for me). Had some of the toys too, featuring the cap-gun style weapons.

For a kids show, it had so much going for it: futuristic police vs prohibiton era gangsters (including an Edward G. Robinson homage), unique characters each with their own colourful personalities/gimmicks, strong (sometimes literally) female characters. And midgets. Sadly we'll never get stuff like that ever again in today's day and age.

14. Sideswipe1954

Sideswipe1954 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  15. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    Wonder if Hasbro will somehow bring some homages back from this line like they did with the Matt Trakker GI Joe figure.

16. netkid

netkid Where's my Goddamn shoe!

News Credits:
    I kind of hope they do more M.A.S.K. guys as well. I mean, Myles Mayhem is even in an officer's outfit, he'd fit right in!

17. FMA1987

FMA1987 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    yep just got season 1 on dvd now i am going to get the second one when its released man i had the toys growing up had the copter

18. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    Isn't that pretty much what I already said?

And be careful of putting words in Shout's mouth -- that kind of stuff ends up getting spread as rumor. V3 is not guaranteed. Even if it sells decently, there are still other factors that could prevent V3 from being released. Shout rep Brian Ward has emphasized more than a few times on the forums there that it's not guaranteed. His most recent post on the subject even said:

19. Ioz

Ioz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I am not sure what point you are trying to make. If Volume 2 sells well, they will make a Volume 3, if not, they probably won't. Also, Volume 2 is available via Amazon and Ebay besides just their website.

Dr. Badvibes and Buttons McBoomBoom are their names.

20. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    I don't see how "not guaranteed" is not a clear point. (And other than mentioning Amazon and ebay, you basically repeated everything I'd already posted.)

There could easily be legal issues that prevent Vol 3 from being released, even if Vol 2 sells through decently.

I've been collecting DVDs for over a decade, keep a close eye on industry trends and DVD/BR consumer purchasing preferences, and have also worked in public relations, marketing and as a vendor related to DVDs. I know these things happen. Nothing's set in stone for future DVD releases. Warner Bros and Disney both axed titles that had been announced would eventually be complete series releases. The same thing could easily happen with a niche fandom series like C.O.P.S.

And even official announcements sometimes don't pan out later, like "Life With Louie." Louie Anderson has twice said publicly that the legal issues with Disney were being worked out and that he expected a release in the near future. 3 years later and counting, and still no release.

So while I'd like to be optimistic for a V3 release, I'm not going to get my hopes up until it's actually available for purchase.