By comparison to the 07 movie, what parts do you think were improved in ROTF

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Sokar, Jun 28, 2009.

1. Sokar

Sokar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Many of us had several complaints about the 2007 Transformers film regarding different things in the film that we thought either didn't work very well or were just missing (lack of robot screen time, decepticons that don't really say anything, etc.). Despite it's problems, with ROTF, it appears that at least some of these issues were addressed. So the question is, which parts of ROTF did you consider to be significantly improved over the first film?

1 - Agent Simmons - Personally I thought that Simmon's character was far, far better done this time. He was still a bit of a goofy character, but the jokes seemed far more intentional this time (excluding the underwear thing, but it wasn't worse than the first film). For example that 'one man alone thing' when Leo was in the car worked pretty well. Unlike the first film he also doesn't seem to be freaking out every 5 minutes like in the scene with the secretary of defense when they were trying to find radio parts. He's more serious this time in the way he handles things and seems to be a lot calmer overall. I really hated him in the first film and thought he was one of the worst characters in the film, yet in ROTF I actually liked the scenes he was in.

2 - Sam's acting - While Sam's acting seems a bit poor still (I think), he did show some improvement in rotf. In particular the scene after prime's death showed some great improvement and it actually seemed like Sam feels involved in what's going on around him. When he tells Leo that nobody is stopping him from leaving it really felt like a serious actor on the screen. I'm not saying that Shia has no talent or anything like that, but I just think he needs more experience, and rotf to me showed that he is slowly gaining that experience

3 - Robot screen time - There was a lot more of the film devoted to seeing the transformers this time around which was nice. Granted there was still little in the way of character development for most of them, but the focus in a film called transformers was at least on the actual transformers more this time around.

4 - Product placement - While the Dewbot was cool, some of the product placement was a bit strange in the first film with xbox bots and furby trucks sort of jammed into the scene. In ROTF I thought it was much better this time around. Granted there were the movie posters, tv's, monitors, etc but overall it seemed much more subtle this time around. This is good for 2 reasons I think. First, it doesn't distract you from the film. Second it gives watchers of the film something to keep an eye out for, for fun.

5 - Megatron and Starscream - While the overall focus on bots was improved, these two were by far the most improved from the first film. Megatron did more than just rampage around the city like mechagodzilla this time. He actually seemed to have a real purpose and seemed to be genuinely devoted to serving the fallen. Similarly starscream established a much more G1-like cowardly character in this film than in the 07 movie. Adding to that, the way that he and megatron interact this time, it actually felt like these were real characters and not just mindless smashing machines

Any other thoughts on what was improved from the first film?

2. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    Decepticon characterization/interaction.

Amount of robots involved in the fight scenes, especially Autobots.

I think anything else was the same as TF1 or not as good.

3. SMS55

SMS55 Well-Known Member

More robots no. 1. Less of the shaky camera. Optmus fought more and kicked some serious ass. Megs/Screamer relationship was spot on. More screentime for the Decepticons. In the first one Bay said the old Megatron voice didn't fit. It didn't fit because they were covered so little it made them seem dark and mysterious. Addition of Soundwave, and they used him properly.

4. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    Yeah, I did find Simmons to be a rather endearing character this time around. Starscream was a huge improvement as well.