BWX Optimus Primal

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Deathy G1, Jul 10, 2006.

1. Deathy G1

Deathy G1 Such a trustworthy being!

I found both new BWX toys today, and after looking at them both, I decided to walk out with just Primal.

Why did I go againt the general consensus that BWX Megs is the better of the two?

Well, looking at Megatron, I can pretty much see that he is a scaled down version of the original toy with jungle planet styling and a cyber key gimmick. While some people probably see that as a positive, I see it as less desirable, as the perfect version of that mold will be released in the BWX TRU vs set.

Primal on the other hand, has a completely different transformation than the original, while again keeping the jungle planetized version of the original character feel that Megatron does.

The difference is, Primal takes the styling a little further than Megs does, and because of the different transformation as well, comes off more as an homage to the character, rather than the exact same character as imagined by a different artist.

One note about the transformation: While the arms and legs do switch places like in TM2 Optimus Minor and the original BM Primal, the transformation is more different from either of those two, than they are from each other.

You also don't have the weakness of having a cyber key gimmick taking up space on the main toy, as it was added to his Surfboard, which itself is an homage to a different Primal form, the TM version.

While the key gimmick isn't that special, the resulting surf bazooka does look very good on Primal's shoulder.

As far as I am concerned, we are getting the true 10th anniversary versions in a few months in the TRU set. They fit the theme of the line better, and the extra remolding is just the icing on the cake.

To me BWX Primal isn't BW Primal at all, my own personal backstory is that he was a ruler of Beast Planet prior to Scourge's ascention to power. I think it makes more sense for the character this way.

Overall, I give the toy a B+, taking the score down for a few issues such as ball joints being either too loose or too tight, and one peg that doesnt want to stay all the way in its hole in beast mode (it doesnthurt stability at all, just bothers me a bit because i am a perfectionist).

I will get Megatron later, but I am VERY please with my purchase.

2. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Nice improv on the backstory! I'll adopt that as my "Feral Convoy" bio once I get one of these I think.
    What's the poseability like in both his modes? And more importantly, does he look better in real life than in the pictures we've been seeing?

3. Deathy G1

He looks much better in person. The colors and detail really shine. The "tiara" doesn't look silly at all!

As far as articulation goes, in robot mode he has ball jointed shoulders, elbows, hips, knees ankles, neck and thumbs, none of which are really too restricted. He also has swivel wrists, toes and fingers (all the fingers are joined together as one piece). The only thing he is missing is the waist.

Beast mode is pretty much the same, because as far as articulated parts go, the arms and legs just swap places. The only thing you lose is the neck.

4. .SentinelPrime Is Dead.

.SentinelPrime Is Dead. Banned

I see how it is brett. Meany.

5. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Just bought him. Beast mode is ok looking. The surfboard is pretty cool and the pop out blade is a nice touch. Transformation is more complex than you would imagine. One complaint during the process is while flipping the robot-mode chest over Prime's head, the tips of his "tiara" are too tall and get in the way, so you'll have to fiddle around it. Also on my Prime the head is tight until you have him look sideways...then it turns loosey-goosey like a bobblehead. Since I didn't have any clear nail-polish, I unscrewed the head, wrapped a lil' piece of masking tape around the ball, and reassembled. Now it's NICE and tight all around. Hips are still kind of loose but every other joint is SUPER tight. Robot is pretty poseable and I really dig Prime's head-sculpt. The way the surf-board becomes his shoulder mounted rocket-launcher is pretty badass. He carry's it like one of those big 80's boomboxes. It does make the figure kind of top-heavy and it's tricky but not impossible to balance him this way. I kind of wish the bot-mode had foot pegs so he could fit securely on the surfboard in bot mode as well. Overall after fixing his head I really like the figure and recommend you buy it!

6. AlphaOmega

AlphaOmega Well-Known Member

Me too brother, me too...and I just KNOW you're talking about the chest peg in beast mode, aren't you! It's happening in mine too, and that little seam break just makes me maaaaad. Okay, it ain't that bad, but I feel your pain.

Good points though, I agree with just about everything. Very interesting and fun OP, and that's coming from a guy who didn't like Beast Wars.

7. Deathy G1

Yup, its the chest. It's completely secure, but annoying. I feel better knowing its not just mine!

I have the bobble head problem too, only when his head is tuned to his left. Doesn't bug me too much though, as its fine otherwise.

8. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Just got Primal (but not Megatron yet. grr.)

I'll agree with all the "better in person" comments. I like it more than I was expecting, and it has a bit more of an Optimus Primal feel than I was expecting as well, though the head gives of a bit too much of a Cybertron Prime vibe. The problem I have with it are as follows:

* Gorilla mode is pretty bad IMO. I don't care for many of the detailing choices, It's tough to make an "on all fours" pose that doesn't look stupid, and it looks like the hands are stuck in shoe boxes.

* Joints are kinda off in robot mode. The arm jointing limits what directions the hands face, and the hip joints require a little working-around to get the legs to go where you want them, but that's not a big deal.

Finally, after all the joking about Megatron's Cyber-key weapon use in dino mode, I find it quite comical where Primal's gorilla face ends up in robot mode.

9. twichyy

twichyy Banned

News Credits:
    i love this little guy, this is my new carry around with me all the time make me look like a crazy 23 year old kid toy. i don't know if my spiderman is gonna like being replaced, maybe they can live together in my back pack. anyways. the colors on this toy are so color they have a special way of just standing out, theres only 5 colors but they work together so great. the monkey mode is lame... i love it for the robot more, and thats where the colors work the best. my only problem with this toy is there is no articulation between the forarm and the hands, so like he can be posed like a bumb asking for money but his hands can't twist around to give a cool looking punch instead. and the proportions of the toy are great too. the monkey face up the but is probably the best part about it though.

10. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    His beast mode sucks big time.. Love the hands in shoe boxes analogy. Robot mode is nice. Transformation is a bit of a bitch if you don't do it just right it won't let you move the proper piece. I give him a C to a C-.. Not worth the $$ in my book. Megsy is far far superior.

11. Darkravager

Darkravager Zombie Hunter

I like him. His joints are a little funny though. The knees in his bot mode are a little loose, and the elbows of bot mode are too tight. Overall though, I'd give him an A-, but I'm easy to please.

12. omega knight

omega knight Chibi lancelot launch

News Credits:
    aw I passed em both not worth my time cause the beast mode really stinks not wourth 14 bucks at all but im so looking forward to the 2 pack tru comin up in its orginal colors since i wasnt born i think when beast wars tows were arond so im looking foward to the reissues

13. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    After getting both of them, I must say Primal is the better of the two by far. Just better proportions (Megs is all legs) and a better design.

The one complaint: He's simply not Primal. He doesn't remotely resemble Primal in either mode. Neither head looks anything like Primal either. Even BM Deluxe Primal (who's design certainly came way outta' left field) managed to pull off a Primal feel, but this new guy doesn't. And he's certainly not Prime either...so I guess He's something new. I can deal with that. I consider him another beast warrior, not a leader.

Anyway, awesome transformation, awesome sculpt, awesome design....Semi-wonky colors and silly tiara. Sounds like a "buy" to me.

Oh, and beast heads ending up shoved into robot asses will NEVER cease to be funny. :) 

14. unafraid

unafraid Banned

Ebay:
    Best Prime/Primal headsculpt ever. I love the figure even though the plastic feels funny.

15. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    This is a fun toy, especially the versatility of poses available on the surfboard in beast mode. So many goofy munky poses available. And he looks great with the rest of my season one BW toys, especially the scale. I'm quite impressed.

16. Frognal

Frognal Prodigal Son Returned

He's a really neat figure. The only real cons are the lack of wrist rotation in robot mode, the grey bot mode chest/back of the monkey mode head, and no integrated weaponry. The lack of swords is somewhat of a disappointment too. Other than that he's great.

17. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Just opened mine, and I think he's great. His hips take a little getting used to, but I love his robot mode. Ape mode is decent, very Beast Machines in style I feel. The way he is done makes me feel like he is Beast Machines Primal redone.
    I love his surfboard-cannon as well. It looks good balanced on his shoulder, but I've taken to having him hold it at his waist, left hand on the rear peg with the piece that scissors out when you put in the Force Chip facing down. It makes him look badass that way round.

All round he's a decent toy. He may not be as good as some of the other toys we've had of late (we've been spoiled in that regard I think), but he has nothing that strikes me as being "wrong" with him.

Also, did anyone else spot the Key to Vector Sigma molded on him?

18. Red Dragon

Red Dragon Yin and Yang

I got him a few days ago (Megatron as well), I think they are very nice figures but I did not display them with my 10th anniversary figures. In my opinion they belong with the Jungle Planet bots, I'll wait for the "rumored" TRU 10th anniversary Primal and Megs (hope it's true, if it is let me know). I look at these ones as Primal and Megs finding their way to Jungle Planet and upgrading their forms.

19. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    We've seen at least one in-package sample already, with a TRU sticker on front.

20. Red Dragon

Red Dragon Yin and Yang

Cool, thanks, definitely can't wait for it then.