BW vs. PRIME

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by bellpeppers, Dec 26, 2011.

1. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    Yes I do know that man really. I'm not forcing everyone to like Prime here. Everyone here has the right to like one or more series. I mean I also like Animated and Beast Wars here so I do have more than one series to like!

I really should stop myself before I act the goat again over my obsession over Prime.

2. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Beast Wars still has the better writing, imo.

But what will make a better comparison is in another 10 or 15 years at which point TFP's CG will look as hopelessly outdated as Beast Wars'. Then people will be able to judge them story/dialogue/characters against story/dialogue/characters without visuals influencing the decision.

3. lieutenantjazz

lieutenantjazz Well-Known Member

A very good debate. I think that BW was a unbelievable move for Hasbro. It made transformers new and fresh again. I think that Prime is doing the same, also keeping it very close to the original storyline.

4. kaijuguy19

News Credits:
    Yep not to mention a bit of an unfair debate as well

5. Crazy Ramjetty

Crazy Ramjetty marvel's got it good

it's hard to say so far, transformers prime is still in it's first season (granted with season 2 coming this february) where as we can look back on beast wars and its three seasons. so far yes I will say that prime is better than beast wars but it's a really close call.

6. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    I like how you said this in reply to a guy with Transformers Prime pictures in both his avatar and sig.

7. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    If people think that comparing Season 1 of PRIME to all of BW is unfair, then lets ust compare S1 of PRIME to S1 of BW.

8. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Thinking about what you said, I think tying BW to G1 only helped both G1 AND BW.

9. Chromia217

Chromia217 I luv Mark Hamill

THIS

10. Feralstorm

Feralstorm Good Morning, Weather Hackers! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ah, fan-world, where "I like both Prime and BW, but I like BW more" translates to "Everyone hates Prime". :) 

One thing I find special about BW is its pioneering role, as the first all-CGI TF series (by the animation company that did THE first all-CGI kids series), as the first big departure from the G1 character base and story (even though it would connect together). It's to the writers' credit that it holds up as well as it does, not just as a 'toy cartoon', but as a sci-fi show, since pioneer-types are frequently surpassed by their successors.

One thing I find interesting in BW is the wide range of style in which the show is handled. One minute there's drama and pathos, another there's fast action, visual homages to movies and genres, kewl extreem lingo, lame puns, and catchphrases, strong personalities and bickering, self-referential humor, and even Looney Tunes-style antics. Some dislike that level of inconsistency, but It's part of the essence to me.

Prime is an excellent show in its own right. While other TF shows with computer graphics have surpassed BW in terms of rendering proficiency, Prime was the first non-Mainframe CG show in about a decade to match the use of expression and motion to show personality and acting BW (and BM) had. I like Prime. To me it's what you get when you give actual depth to the live-action-movie-verse. It has time to yet surpass, but BW will always be special to me for it not taking itself quite so seriously, the humor, and personality conflicts (even with Miko tossed into the mix. :)  ) That's my own preference, as I've seen many that like their TFs all "serious business", and I would have expected they'd prefer Prime (maybe Miko's scaring them off. :)  )

11. SoundBlaster7

SoundBlaster7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like Beast Wars much better than Prime at the moment, but who knows, Prime may surprise...

12. iron maniac

iron maniac Help Uncle Sixshot, Help!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Gave Prime a chance, not my cup of tea at all. Beast Wars rocked, plain and simple. :2c: 

13. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    Im not trying to bash Transformers: Prime I just much prefer Beast Wars to it.

14. An Army of Bees

An Army of Bees WTF@TFW Podcast Editor Veteran

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I still say it's a bit unfair to judge an older show with limited technology to a newer show that's not even finished yet.

15. kaijuguy19

News Credits:
    Well that's fine because I persoanlly love both shows for what they are. Sorry for overreacting.

THIS!!!:Thumb It is a bit unfair if you think about it.

16. Verno

Verno Beast Wars Collector

News Credits:
    Beast Wars reinvigorated the dying franchise that was Transformers in the early/mid 90's. Prime comes at a time when the brand has never been stronger.

For importance to the franchise and for every current Transformers fan, Beast Wars will always far surpass this Prime business.

And all of that goes without even mentioning the wonderful characters and what was, at the time, breathtaking 3D animation.

Beast Wars is the clear winner, you don't have to wait for Prime to finish to figure that out.

17. deymasc

deymasc Well-Known Member

Don't get used to it. I honestly don't see them going past season 2.

18. kaijuguy19

News Credits:
    You know guys this thread is SERIOUSLY becoming one sided here. I mean this is like compairing Citizen Kane to The Dark Knight! Are you honestly wanting to compiare a show that's been legendary for years to a show that hasn't even made it into it's second season yet?!? From the looks of it it seems that many people think Prime will NEVER EVER get better! For crying out loud hasn't Prime got enough criticisms already??! They came from totally diffreent time peords so of course it's going to be a big diffrence!!!

19. deymasc

deymasc Well-Known Member

Prime has two fembots. Beast Wars had two. Beast Machines had three.
    How does Prime have more fembots appearing more often than BW/BM did?

20. kaijuguy19

News Credits:
    How do YOU know that? For all we know Prime may surpass Beast Wars. And they say I'm jumping to concluions. Many people do prefer PRime to Beast wars.

Yeah well that's YOUR opinon. If that's so than why is Hasbro giving it this much attention? That's a sign of it going on for along time it seems. We;re not mind readers here.