BW vs. PRIME

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by bellpeppers, Dec 26, 2011.

1. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    PRIME became the 1st TF show I've watched in a good long time- since RID really. I've enjoyed the show- the writing, the animation, the voice acting.

Before watching PRIME I have always regarded BW as the pinnacle of Transformers storytelling... and then PRIME aired. That became the new quality of TF storytelling.

For Christmas my buddy gave be Shouts Beast Wars 3 seasons pack, and I have been re-watching them. Boy, the animation as not held up at all!

Now, this is the big however:

The initial storytelling held up remarkably well. The story... the scripts and the dialogue. Very sharp.

I'll go so far as to say that Beast Wars, as a show, had more personality than PRIME does. Now, many people here might say "PRIME is only in it's 1st season, give it time". And they would be right. However, BW was witty even in the 1st season.

As of right now, even tho PRIME is good- looks light years better and plays good... BW is still, IMHO, the pinnacle of TF storytelling.

2. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    I agree with you 100% dude!:thumb 

Though Prime does have flaws that keeps it from being on par with BW it's fastly getting there without a doubt!

Perhaps if Season 2 becomes even better then dare I say it it may even surpass the whole BW show!

3. Crystal Convoy

Crystal Convoy Huh? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Beast Wars>>Prime

4. PrimusVsUnicron

PrimusVsUnicron Well-Known Member

Cgi war

5. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    The CGI became sharp enough in the latter part of Beast Wars that I think it holds up even today, but yeah, it was pretty bad in that first season.

Beast Wars was willing to blaze a new trail not only in terms of the mechanics of the TF mythos, but in the overall feeling and the general way the characters related to eachother. I don't think we've seen as much of a shift between shows since then, which is neither good nor bad, but it IS one of the ways the show stands out.

6. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Beast Wars.

Because it saved Hasbro and revolutionized Transformers with the Nemesis, The Ark, The Golden Disks and so much more.

Plus it has excellent charecters like Dinobot, Rampage, Rattrap and Megatron.

Prime is good but it hasn't found it's stride yet.

7. kaijuguy19

News Credits:
    Give it time and Prime will be on par with Beats Wars. Beisdes Prime has more Fembots appearing more often than Beast wars so you can't beat that at least.

Prime's still airing right now so we should give it time to finsh it's run first before making final judgments. It may suprise us yet!:thumb 

8. Karhukjnsi

Karhukjnsi Universal Wrestler

News Credits:
    I love both shows dearly, and they each do something extremely well. I feel Prime is more meant to be the "quintessential" Transformers show, and we'll be seeing more as it goes on, meant for not just kids, nor adults, but Transformers fans, young and old, new and seasoned. The Beast Era, on the other hand, has proven to be an important part of Transformers history, it really set the path for a lot of things, and the quality still remains. Like you've said, the CGI isn't the best anymore, but the story makes me ignore it easily. Both shows are amazing in story-telling, but for different reasons. TFP does it for "exploring the universe of the Transformers", the Beast Era did it for "alright, we're here, let's get it on!"

9. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I just feel that TF Prime is holding back in some way.

10. kaijuguy19

News Credits:
    Look maybe Prime is just waiting of for the right moment to suprise us with something REALLY sweet. I think season 1 was just to introduce us to it's universe so season 2 will get the ball rolling for sure.:thumb 

It may want to suprise us when the time is right perhaps. I know it has some flaws right now but am I the only one here who thinks it could get better overtime here?

11. Una

Una Well-Known Member

I have some issues with Prime, but I won't make a judgement of teh overall series until it is finished.

But Beast Wars still seems better to me. There is a strange kind of charm and allure to it that makes it so good.

The story, the characters....it is just brilliant.

I just hope to see Prime fix a few problems and pick up the pace. :thumb 

12. grunge

grunge The TANK

News Credits:
    you say BW doesnt hold up today but compared to Energon and Cybertron ... it blows it away. in fact it even has a better look than is predessor Beast Machines, which no. did not look good though i am 1 of the few who enjoyed the story.

to be honest im not entirely thrilled with Prime's animation either, the bots just arent "mechanical" enough for me.

as far as story goes, its not fair to compare something thats complete to something thats incomplete.
    cell animation ftw!

13. kaijuguy19

News Credits:
    So I'm guessing there's much more love for Beast Wars than Prime? I love both shows but I was thinking that people at least can understand what PRime is tryin gto do. I guess I'm just too easly to please to know any better than.....:( 

14. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    This. end of thread.

15. kaijuguy19

News Credits:
    Well Anmated didn't look mechanical enough either yet no one seemed to mind it one bit. The animation for Prime blows almost all of the CGI shows out there whne it comes to detail at least.

I agre about compairing Prime's story to Beast Wars becuase Prime
    s not done airing yet. I mean if we're talknin about the story for Season 1 that makes more sense but no for the whole series yet.

16. kaijuguy19

News Credits:
    Great bash Prime some more why don't you?

17. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

You won´t see many TF fans disagreeing with the fact that BW is a better show. Shame is kinda ruined by the sequel :( 

18. kaijuguy19

News Credits:
    Why am I getting a feeling that this will turn into a Anti TFP thread? Because from the looks of it it maight as well because no one seems to listen to the people who like it when they can listen more to the people who complain about it.:sly: 

19. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard @DiabraveSid

News Credits:
    You're comparing three seasons of a show that had nothing to lose, against the first season of a show that has the success of a billion dollar franchise to live up to. I love Beast Wars, I adore it in fact, but I think it's only fair to give Prime a chance. Given the hype surrounding it, the general protectiveness Hasbro has for the brand, and the potential broad appeal of a Transformers show off the back of said billion dollar, easy-to-follow mass audience appeal movies, I am very surprised that Prime has even managed to be watchable, never mind having had a few very strong episodes along the way.
    It's early days, but the fact that Hasbro seem to be in it for the long game fills me with hope.

20. scubaboy31

scubaboy31 Digital Gypsy

News Credits:
    Sigh... i friggin lothe code of hero. I'm no great dan of BW (the concept/characters are great, but 99%of the episodes are blaaaaand storytelling to me...) but COH is just annoying to me. its just... stupid. however Transmutate is an exceptional episode and outside of the fanwank love i have for the agenda, its EASILY the best that bw had to offer, in script and performance. prime has yet top top that. Id love to like Prime and BW more, but the cost of cgi limits them so much. I love a focused core cast, but i also want a populated world for them to exist in (animated was great at this). In the end both shows kinda waste their potential and Prime hopefully will do more with what it has...