BW Tripredacus

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Noideaforaname, Aug 18, 2012.

1. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    Old toy but one without a review here, which is just CRIMINAL.

Tripredacus is, of course, one of the two Beast Wars Combiners. As his name implies, he is made up of three different Predacons: Cicadacon, Ram Horn, and Sea Clamp. There is a distinct “bug” theme in the team, which goes so nicely with the Predacon insignia and sets him apart from both his rival Magnaboss and his spiritual predecessor Predaking.

It should be noted the three bots that make up Tripredacus technically appear in the Beast Wars cartoon, though they hardly resemble their toys beyond vaguely similar silhouettes.

[​IMG]
    First things first, there’s no getting around the “ugly bug” factor with these guys. Personally I revel in that stuff, but if you can’t appreciate it (which is totally understandable) this set is not for you.

Now then, the individual Predacons:
    [​IMG]
    In general, the robot modes have very tiny footprints and quite a bit of weight to them; may have to lean them against something (like their own wings/arms/etc.) I presume they are meant to be Deluxe-class, though they all stand a bit short of typical Deluxes. They’re obviously not Scouts/Basics, though.
    [​IMG]
    On the plus side they are incredibly distinctive from each other and other bots, and have a good range of joints, especially in the limbs. Sea Clamp is the only one with a waist swivel, however.
    [​IMG]
    “Hear no evil. Speak no evil. See no evil” Alternatively, Ram Horn did something embarrassing.
    Alt modes are absolutely gorgeous.
    [​IMG]

Cicadacon
    [​IMG]
    Cicadacon is, obviously, a cicada (got to love Beast Era names), the bugs that leave an iconic molt on tree trunks and make a whole lot of racket every summer and drive dogs insane.
    [​IMG].
    Not sure if Cicadacon’s meant to be a specific species, but he does not look like the famous 17-year cicada (those are black). A nifty anatomical feature Cicy has is a ‘horn’, which is very similar to a cicada’s proboscis. It’s not attached at the right end, but holy crap how much can I talk about cicadas??
    [​IMG]
    Cic has a pair of curious swords that attach to his wings, making for a fierce attack mode. The swords are meant to be able to store under the wing, which they do, though they prevent the wings from sitting flush against the smaller pair.
    [​IMG]
    That’s about as low as they go.
    Cic’s robot legs break the illusion of an otherwise spectacular cicada. If only the green and white were reversed…
    [​IMG]

NOTE: The +-shaped parts of the tabs on my Cicadacon’s swords have snapped off cleanly. A bit of paper wrapped around the shaft allows it to plug into the other weapons, but watch out!
    [​IMG]
    Transform your cicada and you get a robot that is both lanky and husky. Shoulders, elbows, hips, knees, ankles, insect legs, and wings all have some form of articulation (knees have both ball and swivel joints) and not much there to hinder movement. No waist swivel.
    [​IMG]
    Decent from most angles, but from the side:
    [​IMG]
    A full 1/3 of his beast mode just sits on his chest, which certainly makes him top heavy. The sheer flatness of it leads to weird possibilities…
    [​IMG]
    ?!?!?!?!?
    [​IMG]
    Cicadacon’s wings wave a nice range of motion in all modes. In robot mode they make for a nice cape.
    [​IMG]
    Cic can, thankfully, still hold his swords even if they broke their tabs off. Not sure which side is meant to be the hurting side (perhaps both), but I prefer the jagged clear side.
    His hand-holes are juuuuust too wide for 3mm weapons.
    [​IMG]
    “Ow.”

All in all, decent on his own.

Ram Horn
    [​IMG]
    Ram Horn transforms into the iconic Japanese rhinoceros beetle (and a gorgeous one at that), and is one of too few BW insects that can actually stand and not lie on its belly! My favorite of the three.
    [​IMG]
    RH can also pin small objects between his horns. Sadly it’s not that strong; a Legends figure will weigh his head down. Still, there are some toys that will work.
    [​IMG]
    You just know he’s going to disembowel that poor LEGO beetle.
    [​IMG]
    RH’s elytron --the hard wing covers-- can open up (the wrong way!) and you can store his weapon in the cavity in the white U-shaped piece. I find it rather difficult to work in and to pry back out so I just leave it out. Still, got to appreciate the effort. Plus:
    [​IMG]
    This is way too freaking awesome.

Transforming Ram Horn to robot mode is fairly straightforward, though there are a lot of moving parts on him (mostly for combined mode) which may trip you up at first.
    [​IMG]
    Ramhorn certainly took quite the hit for sake of combining. His backpack is tremendously heavy, making just standing him a pain. A shame, because he’s got a lot of mobility and a real rocking head.
    [​IMG]
    Joints are roughly the same as Cicadacon’s (RH trades the neck joint for a mouth joint), though the chest armor limits shoulder movement. The insect legs and backpack don’t hinder the legs as much as you may think, though the sheer difficulty in getting him to stand negates a lot of poses.
    [​IMG]
    That backpack ain’t hollow!
    [​IMG]
    I suppose you could try to use the elytron for balance, but it looks quite obscene.
    [​IMG]
    The front pair of beetle legs have a nice range of mobility, though here they’re better used for holding the elytron shut.
    Ram Horn has a wonderfully articulated jaw, though he’s going to perpetually have it open at least slightly unless he’s looking very far down.
    [​IMG]
    Rammy’s weapon is a kickass pair of blades! His mitts don’t at all look like they’re convincingly holding it, but it doesn’t matter because he’ll rip your shit up!
    [​IMG]
    “Make fun of my face one more time”
    RH’s hands --and thus both his and Sea Clamp’s weapons—are 5mm-compatible!
    [​IMG]

By himself, Ram Horn is rather poor. Of course that is due entirely because of the need for him to combine, as he is essentially RIPPED IN HALF for that.

2. Noideaforaname

News Credits:
    Sea Clamp
    [​IMG]
    Sea Clamp transforms into either a lobster or a crawfish of some sort… which isn’t an insect. Still, crustaceans are arthropods like insects (and arachnids and various other exoskeletal things), and there’s nice symmetry with Magnaboss’s one non-mammal-but-still-a-chordate/vertabrate/tetrapod, Silverbolt.
    [​IMG]
    SC has decent articulation in the arms and not much else. It’s not any worse that his comrades, but for whatever reason it feels a bit more limited. *shrug*
    He can store his weapon in his tail, which does prevent it from sitting as flush but not as bad as Cicadacon’s.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    If you’ve ever had anything called “Scorponok” you should be able to guess how Sea Clamp transforms. He can store his head within his chest, which is not so important for crawfish mode as the crustacean’s head covers it up nicely, but vital for combined mode. The hinge is well disguised among the combiner joints and natural seam you find in virtually every plastic object.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Once you’re done transforming him, you got a mean-looking robot mode.
    [​IMG]
    Again, lots of good joints in the limbs (though the large shoulders and claws limit it a bit) and he’s the only one with a waist swivel. Some poses may require support since, once again, small legs and lots of upper-body weight.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Strangely his antennae have swivels themselves, though don’t really swivel to a safer location.
    [​IMG]
    That could easily snap off..
    The weapon can still store on his tail. It’s more prominent now, being off-white against a dull-purple.
    [​IMG]
    Alternatively, Sea Clamp can opt to hold it in his claws. It’s not terribly stable and possibly not intentional, but at least one of the Tripredacus Trio has a ranged weapon.
    [​IMG]

On his own Sea Clamp is pretty good if somewhat uninspired.

Of course, the main event here is…
    [​IMG]

Tripredacus
    [​IMG]
    Actually combining Sea Clamp, Cicadacon, and Ram Horn is quite complex. Not RotF complex, but more involved than simply plugging the components together. The three twist in and around each other, resulting in a very tight combiner. No shaking Tripredacus apart.
    It’s best to start from arthropod-modes.
    [​IMG]
    Do NOT, under any circumstances, rip Ram Horn in half. It only looks like that needs to happen.
    [​IMG]
    Tripredacus is much larger than Voyager figures, but not quite Leader-sized.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Tripredacus has a lot of articulation, one could almost say TOO much, even. The arms and legs got several different parts that can move, which you have to keep in mind if you want to move just one of them; i.e. rotate his left hand and you may end up rotating the white U-shaped arm piece, too.
    Due to how Sea Clamp joins Cicadacon, Tripredacus has no waist swivel.
    [​IMG]
    Tripredacus has a good-sized footprint, at least with the little flip-out claws stored away. You can get him to stand with them out, though his foot print is reduced to the extreme front and end tips of the claws.
    [​IMG]
    The three weapons combine to form a claw for Tripredacus, and attach to Ram Horn’s hands (incidentally the only parts-forming this combiner does). It looks very much like a “proper” claw-hand and could be used as one, though it makes for a very long arm. It also really can only face palm-forward or palm-backward, which I find to be rather awkward looking.
    [​IMG]
    Without the claw weapon, Tripredacus’ right hand is positively BUGLY. As he’s a giant bug-monster I find it appropriate.
    Ram Horn’s arms allow for multiple configurations. Experiment to find one you like.

[​IMG]
    As a whole, Tripredacus is one of my favorite Transformers. Aesthetics plays a HUGE part in whether you like him or not, though the set itself is very solid and unique. He has his flaws, though that is mostly due to being a combiner that relies on ZERO extra parts.
    Highly recommended for fans of beastformers, combiners, and the ugly.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  3. Fallout

Fallout Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    awwww, cicadacon's adorable. i really like these guys, i'm by no means a bug person but these guys look great and sea clamp's not even a bug. i've got a nickname for the crawdaunt i'm using in sapphire now, haha. ramhorn's headsculpt scares the hell out of me though.

4. Noideaforaname

News Credits:
    :lol  I just happened to post a pic of Sea Clamp with Crawdaunt.

5. Fallout

News Credits:
    i know, that's what inspired it!

6. Noideaforaname

News Credits:
    Yeah, I wasn't sure if I had that posted before you got a reply in or not.

7. Fallout

News Credits:
    i really want this guy but the combined feet kill it for me. do they look so big in person or are they a moderate size?

8. Noideaforaname

News Credits:
    They're definitely big in person. Roughly the same length as his legs (if not slightly longer).

9. Fallout

News Credits:
    maybe they'll grow on me if i drool over the pictures a little more. he looks amazing, now comes the challenge of finding him cheap. who would you say is the best component by itself?

10. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    Ramhorn has such a strange face.

11. salmonman78

salmonman78 Mordin, my hero

Ahh, I remember getting this from a Kay B Toys at the mall when I went with my mom as a kid. Seaclamp and Cicadacon are the best, Ram Horn pissed me off so much trying to transform him. But I still have him to this day and what a great figure he still is.

12. Nope

Nope Predacon

News Credits:
    Very nice review.

By the way, what are those crazy little bugs in the first and last picture? I totally recognize that toyline but I can't remember what they were called.

13. Noideaforaname

News Credits:
    ^The small rubber bugs are knock-offs of "Real Squish Bugs." Got them from capsule vending machines as a kid back in the 90s. Kinda wish I had gotten a lot more...

14. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    BW Tripredacus >>> FOC Bruticus

15. Deceptigtar

Deceptigtar Sworn Decepticon Assassin

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    knew you would say this.

16. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    I remember asking about these too, and I wish I'd picked them up too as a kid.

Also, I especially love that window screen shot of yours. :) 

17. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Peace through Tyranny!!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    MOST spectacular review. I serious read every word like you were talking to me. Great job.

Im NOT a beast wars fan at all...but you presented this review so well, I really REALLY like this guy. Very cool after all

18. Crown

Crown Omnibot

News Credits:
    I've never wanted this before but thanks to your review now I have to buy one..... :(  :confused:  :eek:  :drool: 

Now review Magnaboss :) 

Beast Wars; once you're in, you never get out.

19. Brooticus

Brooticus "You bred Raptors?"

News Credits:
    Great review! I paid well over the odds for a complete Tripredacus, but it was worth it. I wish there were more beast combiners.

20. Dinodigger97

Dinodigger97 germinates within you.

News Credits:
    I have these buggers(Pun intended) and I love the fuck out of them. Ram Horn is the weakest link but overall they are just amazing and extremely fun.:)