BW Convoy/Optimus Primal - comparision pics?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by cappeca, Jun 7, 2006.

1. cappeca

cappeca wtf is this?

Is there anywhere I can find comparision pics between the Convoy/Optimus Primal versions from BW? I know Japan had a few special versions (burning, crystal), but I'm more interested in the regular ones. I believe there's a special edition of Convoy with "show accurate" colors, which is a light grey of some sort, but I can't find any comparision. I just wanted to know how different they are.

2. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    Well I only have the Japanese gray version of the toy so I cant compare it to anything but here are a few pic's for ya:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

He's a great version of the toy no question, in my opinion its the best of all the versions done of this toy. Buts its a great toy overall in any color, the regular one is very good as well but the gray version just adds that little something extra, especially if your looking for show accuracy.

But ya if you want my opinion defiantly try and score the gray one if you can, but honestly you cant go wrong with any paint scheme you put on this guy.

GO MUNKY!!!! :rock 

3. spamo123

spamo123 Artist. Contact me.

I think cosmicrust's galleries of the BW Reborn might have team photos of the BW Convoys. I'm not sure if these are the ones you are looking for though.

4. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    normal BW Convoy is exactly the same as the US Optimus Primal, if I remember correctly. I've owned both at one time or another, but never at the same time.

5. cappeca

cappeca wtf is this?

SWca, that's precisely the toy I own. Got it MIB in Tokyo, in a Mandarake store. He's gray, with red eyes, just like yours. The problem is that the box it came in is this one:

[​IMG]

And a friend of mine got a MIB "gray" Convoy in this box:

[​IMG]

The sticker says it's the Special Convoy, and I've been told that this is the "show accurate" version, because the regular version is supposed to be black. I don't know if this is true.

spamo, I couldn't find CR's gallery, but I found Remy's and in this picture...

[​IMG]
    ... his regular convoy is black with blue eyes. I don't know if this is the regular from Takara or the USA Optimus Primal. So either there's yet another "grayer" version of BW Convoy, or I got mine in the wrong box.

6. Boo

Boo Addicted to candy canes.

Ebay:
    Well, i don't have any pictures... but "regular" Convoy is black with a flat blue plasttic "helmet" and details, while "GREY" Convoy is... well, grey. Also he has a metalic blue helmet and paint details.

Neither is particularly show accurate when compared to BWR-01... but grey seems to be moreso.

And cappeca, that's definitely Grey Convoy's box, but that's teh regular version of the toy. Was that sealed or openned?

*EDIT*

Here's a crappy picture I found on my harddrive. Not the greatest, but it shows Grey Convoy, BWR-01 Convoy, and "regular" Convoy from right to left. Maybe that's a little help...
    [​IMG]

7. Eradicator

Eradicator I am Antithesis

Did you mean "left to right". The one on the left looks greyer; although the grey one appears to photograph so darkly it's hard to tell. It's not just your pic Boo. The one at the top looks pretty dark too and all other comparison pics I've seen are the same way. I couldn't tell the difference from the regular and the grey in CR's gallery.

I posted the same question closer to when the BWR set came out. I think there is a link to CR's in it.

Let's see if I can find it....

Edit- found it here's the link the cosmic rust's gallery.

http://cosmicrust.com/toys/bwr/BWR-01.php

and here's the thread where I asked about it:

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?t=95110&page=2

8. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    man, the new takara one is beyond beautiful.

for a monkey.

9. Cobra_Commander

Cobra_Commander Master of tactics TFW2005 Supporter

ok between Grey Convoy and "regular" Convoy theres not much of a difference. I prefer the look of the original , but the reissue is really good as well. Damn it i like them both

10. Boo

Boo Addicted to candy canes.

Ebay:
    Heh. Yeah... left to right.:thumb 

11. Galvatron Prime

Galvatron Prime The Real Galvatron Prime TFW2005 Supporter

Check out this link. It has all the Optimus Primals from the US and Japan.

Nice little site for all you TF toy needs as well

:D 

12. cappeca

cappeca wtf is this?

GalvaPrime, thanks, I tried there first but they don't have a side by side comparision, and no mention of the Special Convoy.

Boo, the one I have is the grey one with red gorilla eyes and metallic Primal head - first one left to right in your pic. Box with the green sticker. My friend has the same toy, with the Special sticker. I just want to know which one was swapped. Both boxes were open.

Eradicator, thanks for the link to CosmicRust's gallery (I was looking for pics comparing BW and BWR Megatron, incidentally). Problem is that he, like Remy, took pics of his Primals out of the boxes, so I still don't know if the black version they show is japanese or american. If it's japanese, then I definately got the grey version in the black box, but if it's not, what are the differences between Japanese BW Convoy and BW Special Convoy?