BW #2 (Warning: Spoilers Present)

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Acid Wing, Mar 15, 2006.

1. Acid Wing

Acid Wing Senior Alien TF Member

News Credits:
    Pretty solid issue, slowly developing Razorbeast's plan and characterizations of Maximals like Ramulus, Optimus Minor and B'Boom. Also, pretty interesting that we see some beast mode action. As the end of the issues suggests, this arc was just the "tempest before the storm."

Looks like next issue will be where the action kicks off full gear with rebuilt Tripredacus Agent (TM 2 Cheetor mold) Ravage!!! :thumbs2: 

2. Shanti418

Shanti418 AutoBottler

Definitely. I'm a "Truck not Monkey" guy, but I'm buying BW just because I want more TF goodness and obviously I'm on board with anything from Furman and Figs.

But this issue rocks! Plot exposition, big bad battle, Ravage AND G1 Ark goodness in the next issue? I'm loving it.

3. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    Did we see any Grimlock? Just asking because I won't be getting mine until tomorrow.

4. Shipwreck

Shipwreck Will smack your bitch

This issue was amazing. I really hope they pick up this as a monthly.

5. JoshBot

JoshBot Well-Known Member

Still kinda high off the first issue, I picked this off my stack to read first today. That's saying a lot, too, 'cause an issue Walking Dead came out this week as well. Anyway, while it's not up to the fangasm bliss of the first issue, it's still a pretty solid read. Don's art is uber, as always, but Simon's writing drags a bit in places. Some of the explanations & backstory feel a little padded, and the build-up to the battle takes a little too long. Also, speaking of the battle, something really bugged me: most of the Maximals stay in beast mode. Razorbeast makes it into robot mode, but the rest just flail about uselessly in their beast forms. There's no reason why they don't transform, either. It really took me out of the comic. It'd be like Wolverine just randomly not using his claws in a battle. Problems aside, though, I'm still digging the comic overall.

6. Dalarsco

Dalarsco Kickback=ROCK

Nope. So far, Simon has written two issues without even mentioning Grimlock. It's a miracle.

7. wheeljack01

wheeljack01 Happiness is a warm gun

Man, I got to grab this tommorow!!

8. ZacWilliam

ZacWilliam Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Transformers: Beast Wars #2 –

A fan from way back at the start of the original TFs, G1 will always hold 1st place in my heart. That said, Beast Wars remains by far the best written Transformers cartoon we’ve ever had and I’m a huge fan, so of course I’ve been all over this book. That it’s written by Furman and drawn by Don is icing on the cake. (Being only 4 issues means it’s a smaller cake than I’d really like, but at least the letter page this issue hints that happily more may be on the way.)

It was tough choosing between the Grimlock and Torca covers here. I went with Torca because it’s beautifully drawn and he’s such a neat robot that needs more story time. Sadly nothing even remotely resembling these (or either of the other) covers occurs anywhere within. (Heh, you’d think with 4 variant covers maybe one of them might reflect the story inside, but no luck…)

Anyway, the issue itself continues where the last left off: Magmatron gathers his new Predacon army while Razorbeast and his small band of new Maximals look for a way to warn Cybertron that he’s coming. Putting RB and co. at an even greater disadvantage we see that not all of the Maximals he salvaged have managed to join up with him yet: A group of 5 are busy extricating Torca from a tar pit, the air and sea based ones are off on their own, and poor Polar Claw has a very long walk if he’s ever going to join the group. (Speaking of sea based, I’d love to see the Maximal micro-base Oranoch show up). Both crews decide to go after Ravage’s starship from the end of BW S2, leading to a fight of course, and though RB shows up Magmatron, both come away with something of a prize.

Overall this issue has a lot going for it but also makes me wish very much that this was more then a 4 issue mini. Thankfully Furman narrows down the large cast introed last issue to focus specifically on a small number from both sides (RB, B’Boom, Op Minor, Snarl, Magmatron, Drillbit, and Spittor are basically the featured players with RB decidedly front and center) while the rest form the background for events. A working knowledge and love of the BW cartoon certainly enhances things here, but the writing remains fun and fairly accessible regardless I think. In some senses this is a “setting things up for next time” issue, on both sides, but has got enough action and character moments (love the Ob Minor stuff, and Snarl’s cloak ability) to be fairly satisfying on it’s own.

Don’s art is, as always, pure transformery love. And it’s awesome that he nails the beasts just as easily as he does the bots. While this book isn’t as brimming with neat little easter eggs as the DW ongoing could be at times I’d be remiss if I didn’t mention the one really cool one: in the flashback to Cybertron we see the wall of the Predacon base decorated with TF-faction symbols based on the original G1 Decepticon Preds. (Hey, Don any chance of showing us Headstrong’s?) A small thing, I know, but it’s the kind that fills my TF fanboy heart with love.

All in all I like this book immensely. While I’d prefer a series that was longer and hence gave us more time to really get to know all of these guys, for a BW fan and a TF fan it’s a great ride and it looks like things are really set to kick into overdrive next time, with old friends (Bot and Con, Maxi and Pred) looking to turn up left and right.

My Grade: B+

9. DON

DON Well-Known Member

Ebay:

you missed G1 Jetfire frozen in the ice?! c'mon :rolleyes: 

10. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Another amazing issue! I like the tension between Razorbeast and B' Boom. Lots of nice action in this issue. Don's art continues to amaze. Can't wait to see the Ark and the return of Ravage!:rock 

11. peteynorth

peteynorth TFW2005 Supporter

Very good issue, but this story takes place during BW season 3, right? The problem I have is that the first page lists that the events of the comic take place 70,000 BC. Now I'm no anthropologist, but I'm pretty sure that 72,000 years ago, humans looked pretty much like we do today. Yet the proto-humans (which I would say had to be from at least 1 million years ago) persisted straight through the end of the show's third season.

Hell, the protohumans that were to one day emerge from a single valley to form our entire species (Code of Hero) were not only the same species that were there in the final episode of the series, but the same characters at roughly the same age. By 72K years ago not only were our ancestors physically the same as us, but many had made their way out of Africa long before that point (sorry creationists, but you know it's true - and even if you don't, this story isn't for you because it takes place before the creation of the universe 7-10 thousand years ago).

Otherwise, good comic.

12. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Where was this???

13. peteynorth

peteynorth TFW2005 Supporter

You can see a bit of the wing in a block of ice in the foreground of the shot where Polar Claw is trudging through the snow in the distance.

14. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    What a fun read! The series is too short, Infiltration should have been the four issue mini and BW the six issue one!

15. mrduce1018

mrduce1018 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It came out today? Man i wish they would post which comics are coming out on a weekly basis like they used to when dreamwave was doing it.
    C'mon guys front page this stuff when its slated to come out. (runs off to break into the comic shop since its now closed)
    Greg

16. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

And honestly that's a good thing.

A few here and there were fine.But the ongoing had WAY TOO MANY fanwanks.To the point it go annoying

This book doesn't need obscure G1 references to sell.It'll sell on it's own because of solid art and solid story.Thanks for delivering on the art aspect Don :thumbs2:  And thank you for the writing Simon

New comics won't be available till Thursday afternoon.So I won't get my issue till Friday morning as I have to travel downtown

Man I wish the comic store just 10 mins north of my 'rent's house wasn't closed :redface2: 

17. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    http://idwpublishing.com has a frequently updated list on their site that tells which books are coming out that week. and have had it since the site redesign >__>

18. Silver Bullit

Silver Bullit Banned

I couldn't get it at my comic shop; people were buying all the multiple copies and there were none left. The shop owner said he'd order more... but then again, he has said that before.

Dangit- altho I was cool about it before, now I'm starting to grt ticked....

SB

19. Scrapper6

Scrapper6 Lord of Constructicons

I take it you're reffering to good old Pristine... Yeah it went under or something; glad I stopped going there summer of last year, the bin I'd set up there wasn't being seen to like it used to and titles sometimes never showed up at all. Now I've got a bin set up at the comic shop about twenty or so blocks down from where I live and since they're in a far more accessible location I doubt they'll be going under any time soon.

Today is payday; I get to go in and check out my great comic hauls, normally I'd wait til the end of the month, but I can't ignore the need for more Beast Wars fix now that I have issue 1.

20. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    YES! I knew it was true! :lol  Thought it was in issue 1, though... :peoples: