BW 10th (BWR) Primal Vs. Megatron 2-pack

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Feralstorm, Sep 11, 2006.

1. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I won't go in-depth into the toy molds themselves, as most people with an interest either have an idea what they're like, or have an older version. These come close to being the ultimate version of these molds, with some small setbacks. Puchased for $39.95 at Toys R Us. Comes with the DVD BW episode "Possession" - Waspinator's DVD, with Waspinator's art printed on it.

In addition to being repainted, both are also remolded for improved show-accuracy. Primal gets a new head, gorilla face, and chest piece, while Megatron juts gets a new robot head (but that's just about all that's needed. The new sculpts are very nice work, and quite accurate to the CGI versions within toy confines. Primal has a very stern expression as a robot, and as a gorilla, looks like someone just smacked around a kitten right in front of him. (sort of a half-shocked, half-pissed expression). Megatron's robot face looks as if he's quite pleased with himself (perhaps he smacked around the kitten), and the sculpt just screams "Mainframe" to me, even more than Primal's.

Similar to the other BW10th reissues, the plastic colors in general are shinier and more metallic-looking than the original versions, perhaps to look more like Mainframe's CGI style for the show. Megatron adds a lot more paint apps to the torso and upper legs. Personally I think a darker purple would be more accurate than what was used on the chest and face. Primal is mostly charcoal gray with SLIGHTLY lighter metallic gray for the details of the gorilla body, which makes a good approximation of the way he looked in the show. Overall the color choices appear to be very accurate for Primal, though this makes him look a tiny bit more dull than the original color scheme. One thing of note is on both Primal and Megatron, the eyes of beast and robot modes have painted pupils, the robot eyes made to approximate the "lit from behind" look of the characters' eyes in CGI.

It's not all perfect though, as it appears the molds are showing their age. My toys had some rough and/or poorly trimmed seams on the parts. Some of the purple paint on Megatron's chest was applied a bit sloppy. Primal has a somewhat loose waist joint, while Megatron has a loose waist and leg joints, though not bad enough that he falls over. Primal's robot head has a stiff ball joint combined with a skinny neck post, so I worry that it might twist off when trying to turn the head.

Most people have probably already made up their minds whether they want these or not, if they haven't already got them, or the Takara release. Either way, except for some minor QC issues, (be sure to get a good look at them in the package before buying) they are an excellent capper to the BW 10th anniversary line, and well worth your attention.

2. Tannerbot2000

Tannerbot2000 Well-Known Member

i never got my hands on these, for any number of reasons, and now that i have, im kicking myself. these molds, ten years old or not, are a revelation. both are well sculpted, interesting and have at least decent articulation. Megatron looses out here, due to the weapon arms. Theey are wll painted, and they are quite a bit of fun to play with. my only complaint is the action feature primal is sadled with. The mechanic to make him beat his chest is quite ingenious, but it takes away somewhat from the ability to pose him, and i fear that i will break the gearing if i continue playing with him.

the set isnt cheap, at $40 but it was a pleasant suprise when i ran into it at the toys r us, and if you dont have these two great molds its worth the money.

3. Frognal

Frognal Prodigal Son Returned

These guys are great. The only new cons are the loose waists.

4. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    I grabbed these today. I loved the first BSX Megs. It was actually my first Beast Wars toy ever, as my TF resurgence didn't start until after they were over. And having watched the entire series recently for the first time, these are refreshing to me over my previous geewun-ness.

I love both of these figures. The plusses FAR outweigh the minuses, but here are a few:

Megs:
    His torso doesn't always stay in place. It sometimes unlocks and falls forward, as in his transformation.

Primal:
    His guns on his back, when released by button and shooting forward, sometimes loose a cover due to the impact, which is a hard one. By cover, I mean the skin pieces which cover the guns and end up hanging over the shoulders when deployed. His chest-beating/arm-swinging gimmick is pretty cool, but as mentioned before, I'm afraid to play with it too much as to fear of breaking it. It's sometimes tricky to get it to work right.

Otherwise, these figures are beautiful sexyness. The most show-accurate of either character that I have seen. I compared the head-sculpt on the previous release of this Megs figure, and I really do love this new head. It just begs for a David Kaye speech gimmick. Same with Optimus. His new head is great as well.

5. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    Picked them up this afternoon....I was so happy to get them. The remolding is superb, kudos to Takara for the idea and Kudos to Hasbro for bringing them over!

I had the Primal mold (the Universe Primal Mold that is) but the Megatron mold was new to me. They're both awesome for being engineered 10+ years ago.

Overall, superb all around I could nitpick about a couple issues on both of them, but I'm just happy to have them. Excellent display pieces and cool toys. A+

6. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I love mine. Premo toys all the way. My only fault with them has already been mentioned. The loose waists/joints.

7. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Picked this up today. Both figures are great. Primal's been one of my favorite TF molds ever since I got the Universe version, and I was pleased to find that all the joints on the new one were just as solid as the TFU version. Megatron, however, has a really loose waist. He's still a cool toy, though. Not as good as Primal, but still very cool for a 10-year-old toy.

8. .SentinelPrime Is Dead.

.SentinelPrime Is Dead. Banned

My primal is amazing. his head is slightly loose, but my megatron on the other hand is kind of messed up. Not messed up enough to return him, but the looseness of the legs makes him some what hard to pose.

9. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

I've been playing with my original Primal and Megs since their originals releases and never had a problem with either of them. Buying them again (especially since it was TRU) really made my day.

10. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

are they worth getting even if you have vintage mib originals?

11. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

its worth it for Primal alone. This was the first and possibly the only reissue BW that I've bought.

12. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I'm considering it. The upgraded designs are much more accurate to the show, and overall they're probably the best versions of the two toys. Primal is awesome, he really captures the feel of the character.

13. Megatronwp38

me too, I have the "reimagined" deluxe leaders, but didn't buy any of the straight reissues.

14. Heat Guy

Heat Guy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Picked it up since when I was a kid I never got either one. Very big, very badass, very worth $40.

15. Megatronwp38

I picked these guys up last nite and I am glad I did. My megatron is a little loose at the waist, however when comparing him to my vintage BW megatron all i can say is, Yessssssssssss! Wow, talk about A LOT more detail and accuracy. Even with ole Monkimus Prime the level of more detail is amazing. They really went all out on these guys. I LOVE the fact that they got rid of those horrid mutant faces too! Def a top notch set!

16. megamus

megamus Overworked and Underpaid Veteran

News Credits:
    Question, are they the exact same as the Japanese reissue versions? I have that set and am debating on whether to pick this one up.
    thanks MegaMus

17. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Yes, yes....yes, yes....and yes.

All three new head sculps are dead-on perfect. Major upgrades. The colors are worlds better even if you don't care about show accuracy. And....they're relatively cheap.

18. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    My shame at resurrecting an old thread knows no bounds, and though it goes against every fiber of my being, I feel I must do so.

I passed on these two again and again, telling myself over and over "I finished collecting beast wars toys ages ago. and honestly, they don't look THAT good. look how fat optimus' chest looks! etc... etc..." Finally, I got sick of not finding the new alts or anything of interest, and caved, buying this two pack at the local TRU.

Now, I never owned these figures before. In the past, I had passed on TM Optimus, never liking the look of the blue monkey, TM Megs and TM2 Optimal Optimus had always been my Megs and Op for my Beast Wars collection.

... but hot DAMN, these figs are awesome. Somehow, Optims manages to look better, more powerful, and more regal than the much larger blue and purple OptiMonkey when they're side by side. It must be that double barreled shotgun arm, or something. But Optimus just looks Mainframe perfect in design. 100% glorious, despite the simplistic transformation.

And Megatron! He was, honestly, a huge disappointment straight out of the box. His head and back flopped around like crazy and his left hip had a really weak ratchet. Once I figured out how to properly lock his head and back into place, he really came together; I LOVE that smirk. His head might not be as show accurate as Optimus', but damned if that expression isn't absolutely perfect for him. It gives him character apropriate for the character like not TF head on any figure I've ever had. If any figure needed a smug, self important sneer, it was BW Megatron, and there it is. Glorious. Sure, his arm movement is severely limited, and you really have to lock down his left arm gimmick with the body panels to make it remotely useful as a limb, but really, that head makes the figure. And it's just perfect.

I feel ashamed for skipping these figures for so long. If you were in the same boat as me, do yourself a favor and pick these guys up before they disappear again. They aren't liable to get any better, and for $20 a pop, you can't say they aren't worth it.

19. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    the only way they could get better is if they made the robot masters molds this size....and as accurate as these too colorwise......thats partially why i havent opened my 2 pack yet....but they robot masters are too small when put with the rest of the line....and as much fun as the monkey arm flipping thing is, the wrist blasters trump it tenfold....