BW 10th Anniversary TM Rattap, Dinobot, Tarantulus, & Transmutate

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Aberration, Feb 18, 2006.

1. Aberration

Aberration Templar Rodimus

News Credits:
    Just got my order from the club store, here are my quick thoughts. Keep in mind that I've never owned these figures before (except Dinobot, and obviously Transmutate), so I'm only going off of my first impressions and pics of the original toys.

TM Rattrap: Not a lot of changes here, his painted Maximal symbol is pretty much the only one I can spot. The big surprise for me is that he has vac-metal plastic like the original version, I believe this is the first time that we've seen it used while Aaron Archer's been in charge of the brand (he's not a fan of the stuff). Kinda worried me too, since I've heard people's horror stories about the stuff. Oh, I'm having some trouble getting him to hold a pose, may have to put some nail polish on the hip joints to help that.

Dinobot: If you don't like the new color scheme, there's not really much I can say to you. Although, I have the original version, and they're both different from the show model in their own ways. Oh, and his joints are -tight-, really tight. Remember to remove the mutant head parts too.

Tarantulus: Looks about the same as the original, the only difference is that where there was white plastic, there's now pea soup green. I'm really pissed about this guy though, because his mutant head (the one they used in the show) has his left mandibles painted green, and his right ones left UNPAINTED. It looks incredibly stupid, and I'm really disappointed in Hasbro's QC.

Transmutate: Not mind-blowing, but pretty nice. Has 5 points of articulation (head swivels, head moves up and down, both shoulders, and the left leg) If you haven't been paying attention to talk of the first wave, DO NOT try to move the right leg, it will break! The deco is kinda weird, the colors match the show alright, but the gold parts are just really clean, while the blue parts have this black wash on them that makes them look dingy. It's definitely a nice extra for Hasbro to throw in though.

Can anyone suggest a fix for my Tarantulas? I've heard people talk about paint pens, where would I find those, and is there any trouble with them rubbing off, or are they fairly permanent? My other choice is to wait 'til he hits retail and do a switch, but I'm wary to do that since I can't tell if the problem is there in-box.

2. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    For paint pens, try a craft store. I'm not sure what section, but an eployee probably does

3. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Having never owned any of these molds, I eagerly await their arrival at my local retailer.

4. @l3x

@l3x Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    that sucks about tarantulas, if i were you i would contact hasbro and get a replacement.

i do hope it is an isolated problem though.

5. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Rattrap has real vac metal? Really? Whoo Hoo! Hasbro, now that you've released a new figure with vac metal and the world didn't stop spinning, can we have more of the stuff now? Please? It's just so spiffy...I miss it.

6. @l3x

@l3x Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    after looking at Seibertron.com's gallery of Tarantulus, it does seem that your unpainted face is NOT a widespread issue

7. magnusEXP

magnusEXP Portuguese Wha-Freak!

I don´t know if this was talked about b4 on other threads but why is Rattrap being re-issued with the TM version?I really like the 1st season mold... :sly2: 

8. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    the first season rattrap mold is said to be lost

9. magnusEXP

magnusEXP Portuguese Wha-Freak!

that really sux I saw a MOSC season I Ratty on the bay the other going for 130 bucks...that hurts :( 

10. rodimusconvoy

rodimusconvoy Well-Known Member

Does TM Rattrap come with his rub signed? The one hidden in his shell?

11. M-Prime

M-Prime Banned

I thought Hasbro said that they couldn't justify selling what is essentially a basic class jumpstarter/shellformer for $15. The transmetal version has more bang for your buck.

12. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Either answer is probably correct. When TM Rattrap was first revealed as part of wave 2 (at Botcon methinks), several people expressed a preference for a 2-pack of original Rattrap and another basic, such as Terrorsaur.

13. payres

payres Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The 6th pack aught to have been a basic Rattrap vs Basic Terrorsaur vs pack.

I reviewed these Here (see below for link to all my reviews) and reckoned that if they'd have done that the line coulod have continued thus:

Wave 3 Blackarachnia, Tigertron and Airazor vs Quickstrike, Wave 4 TM Cheetor, TM Tarantulus and TM Rattrap
    Wave 5 Silverbolt, TM2 Cheetor and TM2 Dinobot

getting re-releases of all the show deluxe and basic figures out there.

14. SKowl

SKowl Rubber Golem

I don't have any of the wave 2 BW10th toys yet, but I will say that the Dinobot looks amazing (from the pics I've seen) and I think he's the most improved out of all the 6 reissues.

Too bad they don't come with a DVD in Canada... which means I'll have to import my dinobot when he comes out. I don't mind though, he'll probably be the only BW reissue I'll get (not including the new Primal and Megs)

Rattrap and Tarantulas are also cool, but Dinobot is by far the coolest of the six.

15. FREEWAY

FREEWAY Banned

They lost the mold for season 1 ratrap!? But I thought tehre was a botcon exclusive of him years back, and even a badly done, knock off just a few years ago found a Big Lots... lame...I'm glad I still have my Rattrap, but I lost his 2 part gun that hid in his shell... darn.

16. Gears

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I picked up my first Dinobot yesterday, and his paintjob is amazing to me. Love all the little details. Some of the joints are a little loose but nothing too bad. The mutant head-halves get in the way and I might try to remove them later. I enjoy his transformation scheme more than I thought I would. Recommended.:thumb 

17. Feralstorm

News Credits:
    the Botcon Packrat was done in 1997 I believe. Considering Hasbro and/or Takara has managed to create and totally wear out molds from use in much shorter times, it's not too surprising they could misplace a mold over 8-9 years. (as said, it ain't destroyed, just can't find it right now.)

Knock-offs mean nothing about the state of a mold, since their molds are created separately from existing toys usually. It's like speculating on the condition of the original Mona Lisa by looking at a photocopy of a print of the painting.

18. Darkravager

Darkravager Zombie Hunter

Does your Dinobot have loose sides? I can't get his sides to stay locked in, and everything I try to move his really tight shoulders, his whole side moves around. Is it just mine?

My TM Rattrap also has loose ankles. :( 

19. Gears

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah the sides are loose on my Dinobot as well. I have to hold the side while I move his arms or the whole side turns. I don't think it's supposed to lock in. Could be wrong though since I never had this mold before.

20. Feralstorm

News Credits:
    IIRC, no version of the Dinobot mold locks the sides down. They tend to move around when the arms are moved, though older versions appear to have more friction than this version (I don't have it yet, but I'm hopeful)