Buying Transformers on Taobao

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by botfan, Feb 25, 2017.

1. minstral

minstral Back on the TF bandwagon after 6+ years off

Ebay:
    Have you installed the aliwang chat program? The chat option opens this chat. Otherwise check your purchased 'Have bought the baby' summary and you'll see whether seller has shipped. There'll be a logistics link if they have

2. minstral

minstral Back on the TF bandwagon after 6+ years off

Ebay:
  3. ChromeMagnus

ChromeMagnus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  4. Goldmonkey69B

Goldmonkey69B Well-Known Member

Has anyone tried asking sellers to ship direct?
    Will sellers even do that?
    I was thinking that if we could find a seller that would ship direct through an E-packet, that would probably work out to be the cheapest.
    It would take longer, but I'm fine with that.
    Maybe, we should do some asking around on some trusted taobao sellers and see what they say.
    If we explain the situation they may be more interested in helping.

• Like Like x 1
  5. yakitorisushi

yakitorisushi Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Second order from Taobao arrived using JCEX. The order was shipped out on Jan 3, 2018. I received it on Jan 9, 2018. Took only 1 week to get to Vancouver BC, Canada. Not bad. Package went from Shanghai - Osaka JP -Anchorage, AK - Ontario, CA - Louisville, KY - Billings, MT - Richmond BC - ME. What a trip.

Some Non-transformers stuff and Yes Model KO Axel and Rover. JCEX weighted 3.51KGs total of 271 Yuan. UPS weighted 5.9KGs. I didn't weight it myself so can't tell who is correct, but at least I didn't pay 5.9kgs price. Axel was opened, nothing was missing. I can not tell if it was shipped opened or was it opened for inspection. The Overall shipping box was taped up no CBSA inspection tape over it. In Canada, if CBSA opened and inspected the item they will tape the box back up with CBSA inspection tape. This does not seem like the case. JCEX might opened it to check for contraband items but at least its not missing anything.

The Package was left at my front door, so I guess signature is not required for Canadians because we are just punch of hippies, no one is out stealing shit. There were no declaration form on the package which is a little weird since all the other stuff I imported all have declaration form filled out on the package. I did not know the total value they declared on the package but I didn't have to pay import tax.

• Like Like x 1
  6. northjason

northjason Well-Known Member

I imagine this is kind of how group buys were put together in the past.

It appears like it would be easy to pay through PayPal these days. On the flip side, you'd have to make your deal working around Taobao itself. My guess is TB has similar restrictions to eBay regarding side deals. In China, somebody probably comes to your business and cuts off your fingers if you get caught violating terms of service.

In terms of the potential savings, I can see saving the 3 pct Alipay fee, possible credit card FTF, and avoiding weight rape at the reshipping center.

I imagine there's more work on the seller's part, though, so I wonder if prices would really be better than we already see from Showz or some of the Facebook seller's I hear tell of.

If someone figures out an angle better than rubadubspawn did, I'm interested, but his deals are often hard to beat from my perspective.

7. ChromeMagnus

News Credits:
    It is really up to the seller as to whether or not they are down to ship direct most do not but there may be a few that do. I'll have to check my aliwang chat history later to see what I can find. The ePacket service is what most China Ebay sellers use anyway so I'm used to the 2 week shipping time anyway.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  8. ChromeMagnus

News Credits:
    Thanks for the update.

So you used JCEX/UPS shipping option. I wonder if the JCEX/UPS warehouse that ships to Canada is the same one that ships to the USA?? Their warehouse shipping charge seems pretty good and reasonable based on what you've shared. It seems they aren't using that volumetric weight bull crap as part of their weight calculation. I remember USA customer @connseanery mentioned he got stopped using JCEX/UPS to the USA because they overcharged him in shipping fees once or twice a long while back. Maybe they have improved since then. As much as I don't like my items being opened up for any reason I may deal with it as long as I am being charged fair shipping costs and when I receive my items I can hardly tell it was opened and that all everything is in place and intact.
    In addition it seems like JCEX/UPS shipping is almost as fast as EMS if not just as fast just without the signature requirement. Seeing as how JCEX/UPS is the only one of the 3 shipping options for USA that I haven't tried yet I think I'll give them a shot when I order FT-04D Diaclone Scoria. Scoria is roughly similar in actual weight to Grinder so I'll be able to compare the shipping fee with my more recent experience. I just hope they are on the up & up to USA customers as they seem to be with Canadian customers since they're the option left.

9. yakitorisushi

Ebay:
    This is the only option for Canada for JCEX, other one being the EMS/DHL. Price is 115 yuan for 1st KG, 26 yuan per 500g.
    Yes they have this bull crap as well, thats why I had to send two KO Megatrons back to seller. This was part of the same order I've place.

10. Goldmonkey69B

I'm not sure you're understanding what I'm suggesting.
    When you order from Taobao you can choose an option that allows shipping through the seller.
    The only thing we'd save on is shipping. The other fees would still be there, we'd still be buying through Taobao.
    I'd be interested in seeing if some sellers would be open to the option to ship directly.

@ChromeMagnus, I'm wondering if this volumetric thing is here to stay or if it will go back to normal after their "high traffic" times.
    It seemed as though that was the explanation in the taobaoring update you posted.

There is no way JCEX can possibly incorrectly measure smaller boxes. They would blatantly be lying about the package not being within their limits.

11. ChromeMagnus

News Credits:
    You're right about the option for shipping directly from the seller to the customer, eliminating the warehouse. However the seller must have agreed to this with you prior to you selecting this option.

As far as things going back to normal (in terms of shipping costs) you may be right now that the holidays are over. I wouldn't know because during the 2016 holiday season I wasn't using Taobao yet. We would need for someone who is willing to "test it out" now that the holidays are over and buy a large enough items shipped through JCEX/USPS and EMS and see if the rates have gone back down.

12. northjason

northjason Well-Known Member

Ah, you're right, I assumed you meant a complete workaround. I totally forgot the direct-shipping option existed within TB.

13. yakitorisushi

Ebay:

I'm thinking of shipping stuff to Taiwan where my parents live. Which forwarder do you recommend that will be hassle free for my parents?

14. TangoThree

TangoThree Well-Known Member

There are a few shipper options (4PX, AsiaX, Black Cat, SFExpress), but I mainly use AsiaX from China to Taiwan. Service and prices have been very fair IMHO. I'm sure shipping will be a little cheaper from China to Taiwan vs China to Canada/NA.

You will have to provide a local phone number for contact info. I've only received a phone call from the Taiwan-side shipper a couple of times early when I started to use Taobao. Now they don't call me. Packages just arrive at the front lobby of my apartment and the security guard signs and leaves me a note regarding a package.

• Like Like x 1
  15. yakitorisushi

Ebay:
    Just looked it up, it's 14 yuan first KG and 6Yuan per 500g. Way cheaper than 115 yuan first KG and 26yuan per 500g for NA.

I think I'll ship my stuff to my parents from now on.

16. ChromeMagnus

News Credits:
    Do you have a link to the chart you looked it up with?

17. ChromeMagnus

News Credits:
    My package maid it to US soil. Fedex just picked it up from US customs and final delivery to by handled by USPS. Fedex weighed my package containing Grinder D and Sever G at only 5.76 kg (12.7 lbs). That evens out to about only 2.88 kg each of the 2 items. However JCEX/USPS warehouse in China said it was 7.85 kg for Grinder D and 6.69 kg for Sever G and they charged me as such, screwing me over with increased shipping cost. I don't know if this increase in calculated weight and shipping fees is holiday season related but my next order will go through the JCEX/UPS warehouse instead.

18. yakitorisushi

Ebay:
    It's in Chinese. But this is shipping for Taiwan.

Attached Files:

19. Goldmonkey69B

I thought about using the JCEX/UPS warehouse but they are apparently doing the same thing with volumetric weight now too.
    I'll have a chat with some sellers, one of these nights that I feel like staying up later. Hopefully, one of them will be able to forward directly to us through E-packets.

20. ChromeMagnus

News Credits:
    yeah but did you see yakitorisushi's testimony from the other day? He used JCEX/UPS and the weighed his item properly without gouging him. It looks like they may have improved.