Buying Transformers on Taobao

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by botfan, Feb 25, 2017.

1. Goldmonkey69B

Goldmonkey69B Well-Known Member

Whoever brought this up, thank you!
    I have been questioning my sanity for a few weeks now.
    I'm glad someone decided to speak up.
    Seems like a much larger issue than just myself.

@ChromeMagnus, please keep us updated with their responses.

2. nhyone

nhyone Well-Known Member

You need to measure the volumetric weight too. It is usual to use the higher of the two (actual and volumetric weight.)

Basically, you need to find out how they come up with 7+ kg. Ask them for the parcel's dimensions and tell them their stated limits.

3. ChromeMagnus

ChromeMagnus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've received responses from JCEX customer service via email and cloud chat. They are maintaining that my FT-08D grinder package product size is 40 * 38 * 31 (40*38*31/6000), so the volume weight is 7.85 kg = 352 y ($54 USD) to ship overseas. The seller I bought Grinder from said JCEX calculates weight + volume while EMS calculates weight only. I'm wondering if I should try my luck with the EMS going forward but I don't want to risk any issues including my item boxes betting crushed in transit since EMS just throws items in a plastic bag with no protection or covering. If this is the way JCEX now operates and calculates weight than this sucks.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  4. TRUCKvsGUN

TRUCKvsGUN Well-Known Member

^ Yeah, the formula they use is LengthxWidthxHeight(cm)/6000. I used JCEX as well and it was a plastic bag.

5. ChromeMagnus

News Credits:
    JCEX used a plastic bag? I've only experienced that with EMS.

6. nhyone

nhyone Well-Known Member

You said earlier that FT Grinder's Box dimensions are 11" L X 8" W x 12 in H (27.94 cm x 20.32 cm x 30.48 cm).

It's a stretch going from this to that. :confused: 

Something is screwy at JCEX.

Is it possible to ask them to re-weigh? Tell them you know for a fact the actual dimensions. Do they take photo? Ask them to prove it. (No harm trying before giving up.) :) 

7. BreakY

BreakY Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    So, just checked my bank statements after paying for the silver painted MP-36 KO, and found that I have two charges. One for $86.48 and $86.94. The $86.48 is Pending while the $86.94 went through. What gives? Is this a hold or something, or did I get double charged? Who am I supposed to contact at Taobao/Alipay about this? Is this something to worry about?

8. TRUCKvsGUN

Indeed I did - shipped to Canada via JCEX-UPS - was UPS or DHL, who nailed me hard for customs the last time I threw them some work.

Just heard back from my seller. He's offering me 130 yuan partial refund (was 230) or to buy the red one for another 100. Wouldn't be bad if the LxWxH/6000 didn't inflate shipping to 1.16kg.

9. ChromeMagnus

News Credits:
    They keep saying it has to do with volume. They said they will re-weigh the package. No dice on the photo.

10. TRUCKvsGUN

It's not the weight, it's the measurements: if it does measure 40 * 38 * 31 as mentioned earlier (which sounds right, but not digging out my box) then 7.85kg is the math. My takeaway is that if you're gonna buy taobao, buy something in a small box like badcube products.

11. tturbozx66

tturbozx66 Well-Known Member

Anyone ordered Fanshobby Power Baser or recommend a seller?

12. hoptimusprime

hoptimusprime Well-Known Member

My gundam models have been checked in and the weight is 11kg which is about 7kg more than I had estimated. Shipping is 480yuan or $77. As nice as it is to get the products cheap the ridiculous shipping is making it not worth it especially when you don't know the total until the end. I think I'm done with Taobao for now

13. anubis20

anubis20 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    Things definitely have changed... Last year I order MPP-10 + MPP10B + the trailer and only paid 371 yuan. I remember the box being huge, i think im also donde with Taobao, gonna order little things here and there and maybe parts but aside from that no more figures for me.

14. ChromeMagnus

News Credits:
    It was never an issue before. I'm looking at my overseas logistics order history right now. It shows whee I ordered the same item 4 months ago and and the measurements & volume or whatever came to only 2.39 kg (149 yuan). Hell even the larger FT-10 Phoenix package was 2.56 kg (171 yuan). Something has definitely changed recently with the way JCEX/USPS determines overseas shipping costs. Either that or they are confusing my package with someone else's. So even if I buy smaller items I'll get overcharged for those and I don't buy much from Badcube anyway. To me they've kinda fallen off with Huff 2.0 and Piper.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  15. hoptimusprime

The one seller I've been chatting with said that shipping all around has increased.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  16. BuddaMonk

BuddaMonk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    As a Canuck, do not use JCEX-UPS. As you said, UPS will anal rape you on customs and won't even have the courtesy to use KY Jelly! I remember them asking for $100 in customs and I said I ain't paying period. They'll have to return it back to the sender. Then the delivery guy was like oh, sorry, wrong calculation and end up charging me $10 in customs. Not worth it. While the packaging was good overall from JCEX, the "inflated" shipping price is not worth it. I'll stick with Zhongshan and accept some beat up boxes in favour of savings. My last shipment consisting of Apache, Meteor and Strato from Zhongshan wasn't bad. Meteor's box got the worst of it and that's because MakeToys continues to use plastic inserts instead of styrofoam so my MT boxes are always beat up when shipped from the likes of Zhongshan, Uncle Billy and ShowZ.

17. ChromeMagnus

News Credits:
    I would guess that FT boxes coming through EMS Zhongshan in nothing but a plastic bag wouldn't get beat up too badly due to the styrofoam inside the item boxes. I think EMS only uses the plastic bags if the shipment contains multiple items. Other wise they ship it in a box. My FT-10 Phoenix and FT-20 part B TG were both shipped alone through EMS and came in cardboard boxes.

18. BuddaMonk

BuddaMonk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think I may have done 3-4 orders through Zhongshan and it always contained multiple items that involved a midsized box (like a Grinder size) and I believe they've all come packaged with just a single plastic bag. Boxes with styrofoam inserts can usually take a beating - you'll end up with damaged corners and stuff but the figure will be alright. What's actually surprising from my last Zhongshan order is that NONE of my items were opened and inspected. Could it be the holiday volume, a change in policy.....who knows, but that was nice.

I think Phoenix and TG are just too big....they had no choice but to put it in a box individually.

I also wonder what the shipping is like from the seller to the warehouse. Do they package well in proper shipping boxes with interior support or do they use the same plastic bags.

Just waiting for some new releases and I'll probably do 1 more TB order before CNY.

19. ChromeMagnus

News Credits:
    When was the last time you used EMS. Do they normally open your stuff? If so do they put it back in tact? I had a recent bad experience with EMS where they decimated my GT-03 Prime. That's just one of the reasons I'm reluctant to use them again.

20. hoptimusprime

I’m getting my FH Feilong on Saturday. It was shipped by EMS so I’m curious to the condition it’ll be in