Buying Transformers on Taobao

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by botfan, Feb 25, 2017.

1. connseanery

connseanery Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if that's the case with all the taobao shops but I asked 5+ and they all told me June.

I don't think consolidating really saves you that much on shipping. 40 or so Yuan on the 1st kg and that's it. Also the people weighing the individual items include the packing box so the total they charge you is higher than the eventual shipment weight.

2. Mobb One

Mobb One Godmaster

I think it's 90 for the first kg, at least to me. The next purchase I was planning to do was Omega once he gets released. Uncle Billy has Phoenix on taobao for about 880 or so, but direct shipping overseas (couldn't select consolidated warehouse shipping) is 500 itself, so that's a non-starter.

3. ChromeMagnus

ChromeMagnus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm sure @botfan will let us know which reliable seller has Phoenix at the best price.

4. nhyone

nhyone Member

It probably doesn't ship overseas. You can check with the seller if he blocked it, or it could be due to TaoBao's auto-filter.

By direct shipping, do you mean 'Contact seller for shipping'? Some sellers purposely put a high price so that a sane person won't choose it. :D  I've seen price of 9,999 yuan.

5. connseanery

I just meant that most carriers charge 90 yuan or so for the 1st kg and then after that it's around 25 Yuan for each additional .5 kg. So you only save 40 Yuan by having one package vs two.

What's uncle Billy's taobao store? Thanks

6. Bots and Bits

Bots and Bits Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The seller is really helpful and doesn't seem too fussed about the waste of time. They're trying to refund me for both, but the timer on the first one has expired. Im just going to let the first one go, a bonus to them for the trouble shipping to me caused.

7. nhyone

nhyone Member

Ouch, how much would you lose?

Here's what you should do. Work with the seller such that you place the same order, but don't pay for it first. Then ask the seller to change it to a low price (10 yuan, perhaps?). Then you pay for it and he'll ship it as per normal.

8. Bots and Bits

Bots and Bits Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Seller won't alter price in checkout, their reason didn't translate well so.. *shrugs. They're only 42RMB each, no big deal. Just annoying.

9. ChromeMagnus

News Credits:
    Has anyone spotted any good deals on FansToys Phoenix?

10. connseanery

I think the in china MSRP of 880 yuan or $128 will probably be around the best you can do with it being so popular. Most stores told me they sold out their initial batch (arriving next week) from pre-orders. A few stores sound like they are going to mark up the price as they wouldn't tell me their final selling price even if I would put down a deposit.

I decided to try out the following store shop60503510 I haven't purchased from them previously but they say they'll ship out next week from their initial batch. I'll report back if anything odd happens.

11. ChromeMagnus

News Credits:
    Thanks. Please keep us posted. I'd love to score a good deal on Phoenix plus it would be my first time using Taobao.

12. pezley

pezley Well-Known Member

Anyone had anything shipped from Superbuy (via Taobao) to the UK, whats the rough shipping costs for a normal sized carbot MP

13. connseanery

www superbuy com /cn/page/query/freight/

You can get an estimate by putting in the weight and dimensions. Be aware they may actually limit your shipping carrier options.

I did my 1st taobao purchase of fanstoys soar thru them. They told me I couldn't use some of the less expensive carrier options due to issues with customs. It cost me close to $40 us to ship by EMS. Superbuy shipping is definitely quite a bit more than taobao's consolidation warehouse partners. That's basically how they make their money I suppose since they don't have other charges. They did have nice helpful English language support though.

14. ChromeMagnus

News Credits:
    What exactly is superbuy.com? What do you mean by"/cn/page/query/freight/"?

15. connseanery

They are a taobao buying service that supports english language. They have a warehouse in china where items you buy are sent domestically and stored until you have them shipped overseas. Most buying services charge a fee that is a percentage of the item(s) you buy but superbuy doesn't. They make their money off the international shipping.

I'm new to the forum so I can't post links. That's the path to the shipping calculator on their site.

16. jalaj

jalaj Member

Superbuy also takes approximately 3% through the foreign currency conversion for fund deposits. PayPal takes ~3% as well. Your deposit(s) is the money pool that Superbuy utilizes to purchase your stuff on Taobao and for the international shipping fees. Overall, expect at least a 6% hit.

Once you factor in shipping costs, I discovered that ebay is typically cheaper for most things with either the flash coupons or the increased ebucks % promo periods.

17. connseanery

Just an update on my Phoenix order. It just arrived at the Zhongshan warehouse from the seller. They calculated the weight to be 2.359 KG, which amounts to around $23.00 for EMS shipping to the US.

Here's a few notes on my shipping experiences from the 3 warehouse options:

JCEX warehouse - USPS shipping
    JCEX warehouse - UPS shipping
    Zhongshan Express - EMS shipping

With Zhongshan EMS, the tracking number shows up on the taobao logistic pages. If you choose either JCEX option, you need to contact their customer service to ask for the USPS or UPS tracking number. Their online chat can be found on this page Taobao Global Consolidation and Shipping

The couriers list how much they charge for the 1st KG and every .5 KG after but they don't tell you that the method which they calculate the weight. It's not necessarily the true weight of the item but takes into account H x W x L of the package. EMS with their method seemed to be closest to the "true" weight while UPS tended to deviate the furthest. A few iron factory figures weighed close to 1 KG each according to their calculation. However they did have those shortest time in getting the package overseas as it took only 2 days to get to customs in Los Angeles. EMS and USPS took 5 - 10 days the times I've used them. The packages tend to get queued up at the Chinese airport. Also if you don't want packages left at your door during the day, EMS requires signature.

18. pezley

pezley Well-Known Member

I ordered one Phoenix from Taobao which has processed but wanting another. Does anyone know how to identify if a selller has stock ready to send or what is a pre order ?

19. pezley

pezley Well-Known Member

UK never get ebay bucks or any good flash sale. In the past two years I had 1 £15 discount (over £70 order )

20. connseanery

Often times it does indicate under the description whether it is pre-order vs stock but it's not accurate for every store.

I've found the best way is to use the aliwangwang messenger app to ask the seller before I buy. Paste in the item url and Google translate a few standard phrases to communicate.