Buying Transformers on Taobao

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by botfan, Feb 25, 2017.

1. lake88

lake88 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I hope I understand this right. It sounds like your friend's Alipay(chinese-made PayPal) is bound to your Taobao account, is that correct?

You can change your tied Alipay account from your user settings menu. I'm not at my PC right now so the best I can give you is this pictorial guide in Chinese. 淘宝账号如何更改支付宝账号(已实名)_百度知道

Alternatively try googling "Taobao changing Alipay account" and see if you can find something that works.

2. wetwithwaterwings

wetwithwaterwings Well-Known Member

No, we used the feature that allows you to ask a friend to pay for your item with their account. She paid with her account and I gave her cash. My Alipay account is linked to my Taobao account, but I can't seem to link any methods of payment to my Alipay account. It's like having a Paypal account with no bank or credit card info linked. Is it even possible to link a US bank account or US credit card to Alipay? I found some info online about using international prepaid cards, but I can't even determine if it's possible to obtain those in the US anymore.

3. lake88

lake88 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Are you in Washington DC? According to their help pages they accept all Visa/Mastercard/JCB cards except those issued in Washington State and/or corporate credit cards
    帮助中心

They also do not support CC payment for items explicitly marked 2nd hand or Preorder in the system but it sounds like you've worked past that part and is trying to pay the international freight.

4. ChromeMagnus

ChromeMagnus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes. Alipay is pretty much China's version of paypal so you can link a credit card to it. Basically all I do is when I pay for my Taobao order or shipping fee in Taobao's Alipay screen, I enter my credit card information then check the option to save my credit card info, that way my card is linked to my Alipay account.

5. wetwithwaterwings

wetwithwaterwings Well-Known Member

I'm in Texas.

I tried going that route with multiple cards, multiple times. I continually receive a message that the cards are expired, even though they are far from it. The thread on Reddit was the only thing I could find about it and the conclusions are mixed:
    r/taobao - My credit cards on Alipay acc no longer work?

Success update: I called my CC company and they put in a pre-authorization for the shipping amount and the transaction completed successfully! Thanks for the encouragement. I was getting a bit freaked-out that I was going to be out an $80 figure because of a $13 shipping fee.

• Like Like x 1
  6. ChromeMagnus

ChromeMagnus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Initially I would link my bank issued Mastercard debit card and it at times the transaction wouldn't go through resulting in my bank freezing the card. Since then I link my regular credit card instead and no problems occurred.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Starganderfish

Starganderfish Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Has anyone else experienced issues with Alipay, credit cards and TaoBao? A bit different to @wetwithwaterwings but a similar result.
    For m, I had a problem where I setup a TaoBao account, link an Alipay account with a Credit Card and make purchaes fine. But after a month or two, Alipay no longer worked. I had this problem a couple of months ago with my TaoBao account where Credit Cards just stopped working. Wouldn't accept any card. I went around in circles for weeks, ended up purchasing Alipay gift cards off ebay to pay for the outsatnding purchases, and finally created an entirely new TaoBao account, with a different email address and a new linked Alipay account. That has worked fine, but tonight, it's suddenly not accepting the card again. I'm not sure if it's the same problem as last time, or it's possible that Alipay payments are just down at the moment or something, but if it's the same issue it's a bit frustrating.
    I've just processed 6 items through my cart and in attempting to pay for them, I receive this message. I've used two different cards, from the same bank:
    无法完成付款
    当前场景暂不支持该银行或机构付款 - "Failed to complete payment The current scene does not currently support payment by the bank or institution"

I'm hoping that this is just a temporary issue either with Alipay, or maybe with my bank, but worried that it's the same thing happening over again.
    Previous error was:
    您的个人信息无法通过支付宝安全验证,请确保填写准确 - "Your personal information can not be safely verified by Alipay, please be sure to fill in the correct"

I'll try the payment again tomorrow and if it fails again, maybe contact my bank to see if they've blocked Alipay or something.
    But if this is how it's going to work that every two months my TaoBao account breaks and I need to create a new one, thats gonna be a pain. I have not been able to find anyway to contact TaoBao or Alipay to ask about it.

8. minstral

minstral It's all about G1 Masterpiece

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm with CommBank and in the year that I've been using Taobao I haven't had this problem. It could be a bank blocking issue. I recently switched to a 28 degrees Mastercard card as it has zero fx fees and no annual membership. So far, no issue. Given it's a travelling and overseas spending card I assume it may have fewer blocking issues. Maybe give that a go as a future alternative? I got it withing 1 week of applying. The other alternative is a Bank West card which offers the same thing.

Sorry, not a solution but potential alternatives. Perhaps with the cheapest item in your card, try using your debit card? Your bank may be blocking that also but no harm in trying.

9. Starganderfish

Starganderfish Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hmmn, there's some possibilities there. Mine's a Visa Debit card with ING. It's using my own money not a Visa Credit limit, so there's definitely funds available. I don't have a straight debit card anymore as the Visa Debit is so much more convenient. Also reluctant to pick up another full-on Credit Card. Took me years to finally cut those ties after years of strugling to pay balances and fees etc.
    I've considered Visa Gift cards but I'm not convinced they'd work.
    Australia Post are supposed to sell AliPay purchase vouchers but last time I spent about 3 weeks and visited four different post Offices and none where able to get it to work. I ended up buying Alipay gift cards off ebay. The price wasn't too bad but it's a pain and it ate up some of the savings. Likewise Bhiner charges quite a bit more for shipping and their process is kind of cumbersome.
    Oh well, fingers crossed it's just a temporary glitch. I need my MakeToys Seekers!!!

10. minstral

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I bought my Maketoys seekers on Monday. They're stuck in customs in China. Things seem to be taking longer to exit China nowadays.

I think it's still the bank. As it's a debit card it's actually your liquid cash so more likely a bank may stop or scrutinise transactions. If it's Visa's money (credit card) then they have the means to get the money back perhaps

• Like Like x 1
  11. lake88

lake88 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    10 june was their Children's day
    18 june is another arbitrary online sales day like 11.11

There will be some nice promos but I'd avoid these days because logistics lag just bugs me.

12. minstral

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ahhh, that would explain the savings I got. Photography is another passion of mine and picked up a mundane lens pouch for 60% off, amongst other things.

As of this morning my three parcels are still in customs. I've noticed also that the 10 days period and extending by 3, for payment has balloned out. It's like a few days to arrive at the warehouseuse and now it's 20 odd days to receive the item. Has this happened to everyone?

Thanks @lake88

EDIT: Does anyone have a list of dates for traditional sales dates in China? Not particularly for transformers but periods where shopping would increase and therefore delay shipping. Chinese New Year, 11/11(?), 10 and 18 June etc..... This would be really helpful! We're all an impatient bunch and so used to bribe spoilt by Taobao's usual speed that this would help us manage our addictions :D 

EDIT V2: OK, found this link. Hopefully this sums it up?
    • Chinese New Year – January to February
    • Valentine’s Day – February 14
    • Lantern Festival – March (15th day of the first lunar month)
    • Women’s Day – March 8
    • Children’s Day – June 1
    • 618 – June 18
    • Double Seventh Festival – August 7
    • 9.9 Wine Festival – September 1-9
    • Singles’ Day/Double Eleven – November 11
    • Double Twelve – December 12
    • Christmas – December 14-25

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  13. lake88

lake88 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Out of those dates, CNY, 11.11 and the Christmas period are the big ones I think. There's a 5 work day guarantee for forwarders to Singapore but during those 3 periods Taobao will issue notices to extend them to 10 working days.

14. nhyone

nhyone Well-Known Member

It's hard to say. Sometimes the status is not updated.

I don't keep track of the one-day holidays. If there's a delay there, it's because the seller takes a few days off and delay shipping! :D 

I avoid CNY, Golden week and 11.11, mostly to avoid lost or crushed package. Sometimes I timed it too closely, though...

Since May, I have 20 days to receive my package, instead of the usual 10 days. Did anyone else get that?

15. minstral

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I messaged the forwarding Warhouse and the seller definitely shipped outside I wouldn't have been able to consolidate my parcels for international shipping. Not an issue if you're in China though.

I also have 20 odd days now. Oh well, it is what it is

16. lake88

lake88 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It might an extension due to 618. I think they did a similar thing during 11.11 when I bought a Trypticon back then, can't remember exactly.

17. minstral

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Makes sense. I guess when we see that, it's a possible indicator to upcoming delays. My items have been ready to ship from the warehouse since Monday night.... *sigh*

18. minstral

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Update on the above, although tracking hadn't updated 2 of my items were ready to pick up on Friday afternoon, I got the pick up text message. Then, driving around the city yesterday (Saturday afternoon) I got anothrr text and I detoured to pick up my third parcel.

So all in all, despite the sale period my items still arrived in a week or 8 days. Fantastic! I'm placing less trust in the tracking now and also the status updates from chat. I guess in-between sitting in customs in China and arriving in Australia there's no update i.e. left China / on the plane, which is a little annoying. Plus, another win for pick up as it's available Saturday. I also discovered a phone number for 4PX in Australia but it's in Mandarin. I found someone who could speak Cantonese and they were helpful on my parcel status. As the call centre was Australia based, they could comment on the parcels' Australia status and whereabouts.

Three number is 0800 431 348 and maybe they have English speakers. None at the time when I asked so I had to resort to my broken Cantonese.

19. nhyone

nhyone Well-Known Member

I'll like to check if my assumption is right: if you buy from a few sellers and pay for them one-shot, the items are grouped under one order number. What happens at the shipping forwarder? Do you have to wait for all of them to arrive or can you ship part of it first?

I've never done this because I assume there is only one order number and you have to wait for all items to arrive before you can ship them out.

There is no incentive to do so (no base charge; 3% applies throughout), except I'm starting to feel lazy. :D 

I bought from 3 separate sellers today and was tempted to give this a try, but I didn't want any complication. One seller promptly replied to me that he was out-of-stock and told me to cancel my order. :eek: 

20. lake88

lake88 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It will be grouped into 3 orders if you checkout from 3 sellers, with separate shipping info. It will be listed as 3 items in your warehouse too and you can forward them separately. If you encounter complications with one order you can easily cancel that one alone as long as the seller hasn't dispatched the items.

Something that happened to me was that I ordered a set of NT ko Nero Rex + some other Bandai stuff from 2 other sellers. So in total 3 orders. The Nero Rex arrived first (seller was in Guangdong province) and after checking with the shop it turns out their shipping box was just about the size limit of Popstation lockers. So I had Nero Rex forwarded first before the other items arrived at 4px.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018