Buying Transformers on Taobao

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by botfan, Feb 25, 2017.

1. ChromeMagnus

ChromeMagnus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ok. Gotcha. I don't touch anything on that city/location menu. I leave it to whatever default setting it is already on. Taobao's overseas/forwarding warehouse simply uses my USA address that I've specified on my Taobao account as the final delivery address. I've never had an issue with my items reaching my address.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Gen jay

Gen jay Well-Known Member

Just recieved my first taobao purchase. Took 8.5 days from clicking the buy button to receiving it, and us$10. Saved me a total of 30% from buying locally.

WOW.

My wife is not going to be pleased lol

• Like Like x 1
  3. ChromeMagnus

News Credits:
    Welcome to the club!
    Your order total came to $10 USD or was that the shipping cost? What did you order?

4. Gen jay

Thanks!!

Haha oops us$10 the shipping cost from the warehouse to Melbourne. That took 3 days.

Chose a cheaper shipping method where they deliver the package to a collection point near my work.

Bought Jinbao Gravity Builder Set A for a total of usd$28+10 :) 

Have a few Gundam model kits in my shopping cart as I type lol

• Like Like x 1
  5. minstral

minstral It's all about G1 Masterpiece

Ebay:
    I always choose pick up. It's about 20% cheaper then delivery plus you can go after 5pm and the weekends for pick up. Basically times when work shuts for deliveries

• Like Like x 1
  6. ChromeMagnus

News Credits:
    I wish there was pickup option in the USA.

7. lake88

lake88 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hi, that city selection box is for getting a domestic delivery fee quote. It doesn't affect any payment, it's only there for you to preview the delivery fee to your warehouse. The actual place where you select the delivery location is when you check-out your cart. If you are using an overseas address from your account info, TB will automatically quote the delivery fee using the forwarder's address.

8. Gen jay

Good to know. Only found out about this option when preparing shipping from warehouse. Works so much better imo.

9. minstral

Ebay:
    I don't know how long it's been around, I credit @Bots and Bits bringing it to my attention. In the main, in Melbourne they're mainly Asian / Oriental / Chinese shops selling groceries, creams, souvenirs etc. The one I choose is in China town, 2 tram stops from work or a 10 or so minute walk from work. Here's a peak at what it's like on delivery day, packages just scattered all over the shop floor.This is one corner of the shop with the big bags on the left being around 6-8 kg in weight. I know that as the second from the left was mine :D 

20180529_135835_resized.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  10. lake88

lake88 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    In Singapore we have the option of picking them up at these electronically-locked lockers available 24/7. The local postal service started dumping missed deliveries there, so you might as well have them deliver directly to these self pickup points.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  11. Starganderfish

Starganderfish Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This is interesting. I've had some issues buying stuff from TB and I assumed it was due to them being "official" takara stuff and there bing some kind of export restrictions on it, but it's possible its because they're 2nd hand.

A workaround is a buying agent like Bhiner or TaoBao Ring. Bhiner will reject a 2nd hand item initially but if you message them and tell them you are happy to buy it they'll explain there's no possibilit of return, and if you waive your refund rights, they'll happily purchase it for you. I have a used TF Animated Megatron on it's way to me now from Bhiner as TaoBao wouldn't process directly.

I'd be very cautious trying to do anything tricky with anything going to the TB warehouses as they seem to be very regimented on how they process stuff - probably due to high volumes. Even having an item rejected and then resent using the same order number will break the system as they'll have already marked it as processed so the second delivery will get lost.

If the seller is happy to change the listing for you great, otherwise buying agents are the way to go.

12. Starganderfish

News Credits:
    Those lockers are awesome!!
    We have a similar option with regular Australia Post parcels but anything delivered by courier isn't eligible for a Parcel Locker. And as 4PX use local courier/delivery guys, they can't put it in the locker.
    The other issue is that even the largest parcel locker isn't that big so the massive packages I typically get from TB won't fit, and I'd have to collect from the counter during business hours anyways.
    I'm happy enough to have the stuff delivered direct to my office. Saves me making any extra trips on weekends or after work, I can take it straight to my car and drive it home.

13. minstral

Ebay:
    I've since found out 2nd hand goods is a no no for those of us using forward shipments. I guess it's to do with guarantee / warranties like you say. I didn't think of a 3rd party and wanted to get that Willis ASAP. It was about $130 AUD so much much cheaper than the going rate. It's $200+ on ebay for pre owned currently.

Good point on tricky stuff, I figured out the weird #xx000xx.... alphanumeric code is unique to each order so am at pains now to not replicate or duplicate these. I had one order duplicate the same code 7 times and the seller queried it. Saved the hassle of returns down the line I think.

In the end, I paid for one item, not what I wanted, and the seller shipped my FT Willis. Touch wood but 4px don't really open packages so they aren't likely to find that what I purchased isn't what's in the box. So long as the codes match up, it's all good. I did the same again today with Hasbro titled faction decals, paid for something else, got the decals. One seller wouldn't do it as it's against the rules but the Uncle Billy store was fine. I'm gonna hopefully get a symbol big enough for Ultima Guard!

14. Doro626

Doro626 Well-Known Member

Which one do you pick?

15. MEEEGGGAAATTTRRROOONNN

MEEEGGGAAATTTRRROOONNN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

News Credits:
    Is there a master list somewhere or does it only appear when you choose the option to pick up?

Also, for the Aussie lads and ladies, get your shopping in quick before the 10% GST gets introduced on July 1.

I'm on a spree at the moment and have 8kg waiting and i'm still buying more! Only spent AU$135 as well -- such crazy good prices!

16. minstral

Ebay:
    No master list but cities are bunched together by postcode.

I've been wondering about this GST and read more articles today. The most recent being dated March this year. My understanding is that come July 1 the min amount for GST of $1,000 is being abolished so come that day, the Government can collect GST on any incoming mail item. The sense I get is that it's not technically imposed yet as there's been no party designated to collect the GST. Overseas companies can't be penalised for not abiding by Australian law, and don't want to collect the GST and pay the government(?), and companies like Aus Post don't want to collect the GST either. Some observers believe it will never happen. So, whilst the rule will change, the process isn't in place to administer the change.

Is that what other Australians think the situation is?

EDIT: So I've read some more and overseas companies will have to register for Australian GST, so it's definitely coming, contrary to what I thought. I wonder if GST is also applied to the shipping cost. I hope not...

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  17. TangoThree

TangoThree Well-Known Member

I usually ignore that part of the ordering process. It's more for local application than your overseas transaction. Your consolidated shipper whomever you choose will know your final shipping address because you used it to sign up for Taobao.

Lake88 wrote:

Hi, that city selection box is for getting a domestic delivery fee quote. It doesn't affect any payment, it's only there for you to preview the delivery fee to your warehouse. The actual place where you select the delivery location is when you check-out your cart. If you are using an overseas address from your account info, TB will automatically quote the delivery fee using the forwarder's address.

18. Starganderfish

News Credits:
    So I have my first Bhiner order with their warehouse and awaiting the 2nd payment, to cover international shipping.
    Looks like Bhiner are screwing me hard on the shipping for this.
    Bhiner seem to using volumetric weight. My second hand Animated Megatron, is weighed at .75kg (which in and of itself seems heavy, but I guess with packaging...) The volumetric weight is 2.27kg, for a shipping cost of US$30!!! I only paid US$48 for the figure itself.
    Final cost on this isn't going to be that much cheaper than just buying from ebay.
    Edit: Aahhh, a trap for new players. Looks like Bhiner offer a wide range of delivery options. I had chosen Australia Post when first placing the order, and it turns out they are one of the most expensive, and work off volumetric weight. There are cheaper options that use actul weight. Bhiner's own economy delivery seems to be the shipping at US$13.36 (still kind of expensive when compared to 4Px but much more acceptable) There's also a note stating that becuase the volumetric weight is more than twice the actual weight, it's getting charged volumetric rates, which I guess explains why the price is still more than 4PX, who just go off flat actual weight.
    Fortunately I'm still able to change the shipping method used so will use the cheaper option, with a delivery time of between 7 and 30 days... LOL at the precision of that estimate. Hopefully Aus being closer to china, shipping will be reasonably quick.
    Personally I'll be sticking with TaoBao and 4PX, reserving buying agents only for those things I can't get any other way. Interestingly, those in the US gettng hit with Volumetric Weight charges from Taobao, may be worth checking how Bhiners shipping calculations compare?

19. ChromeMagnus

News Credits:
    My Pocket Toys set of all 6 KO DX9 WIP seekers arrives tomorrow. Can't wait.

20. Starganderfish

News Credits:
    Probably a dumb question, but how are you tracking the package once it leaves TaoBao international warehouse into the shippers hands?
    Can't find any way to check on 4PX shipping progress. TaoBao Logistics just shows "began to send to the destination" and I'm left in limbo till it turns up?
    Is this because yours is shipped to the US via EMS or a similar service? I never receive tracking or the like from 4PX.