Buying toys in the 80's

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by keebs, Sep 14, 2007.

1. keebs

keebs 32 Oh-Zee Killah

Was anyone old here old enough to buy them yourself or did your parents do the buying. I was born in 82 so a majority of the buying was my parents but I remember having a little bit of money and buying minibots and a terrorcon limb and a seacon, I believe.

I remember a few years ago talking with them about past Christmas's and hot items and they recall that the Predacons were like Furby's or Elmo at Christmas and they had to drive all over the place to get them all. They were for my brother, but now they're in my house because I'm the one with the addiction. We have pictures from that Christmas morning and you can see the boxes torn open from the predacons and he also got Ultra Magnus that year.

There's a store in this area of the country called Rural King, and I remember seeing the Menasor giftset back in the day. That would be worth some crazy money now even though I probably would've opened it up and played with it.

I have this dream/vision in my mind of going into Target when I was a kid and staring at the shelf and Rodimus Prime was there. I guess that's why Hot Rod and Rodimus are my favorite characters now.

2. .SentinelPrime Is Dead.

.SentinelPrime Is Dead. Banned

Target was around in the 80s?

3. redline928

redline928 06/26/09

Yeah, the same thing when Metroplex came out. I was 8 or 9, but my mom had to drive all over the place so they could find one! But she did! I dont know if I could have lived without one back then.

4. Elvin Pena

Elvin Pena <b><font color=red>CyberCon is #1!</font></b> Veteran

News Credits:
    I remember growing up my mom made us choose between food, clothing, and a roof over our heads or toys. The choice was obvious, so I didn’t get my first Transformer for quite some time; we just didn’t have the disposable cash for toys.

I used to envy other kids when they took their Transformers to school. I distinctly remember one time we were in the school auditorium and one of my friends had his G1 Soundwave with him. He let me transform it a couple of times and I was completely awed by the toy since it was the first time I had seen it outside of its packaging. I had a few similar experiences throughout the years and I remember them vividly.

My ever-so-analytical wife came to the conclusion that my lack of resources for toys as a kid is what drove me to go nuts when I was an adult and had my own money. I think there is some truth to her argument as I feel I have filled that void I had as a kid.

5. ShortCircuit

ShortCircuit Decepticon

Were talking about days when reagan was president, a gallon of gas was under $1.00, and Miami Vice was on TV. There was NO ebay, and a half assed-internet. Sure there were dot-matrix printers, and an old technology called a Modem. Yes, you actually had to dial a number to get on a thing called a BBS, Bulletin Board System. Kinda like chat room/forum. Oh I still remember that annoying sound today.

Modern day internet makes hunting alot easier these days, and in the past, my mom can tell you christmas stories when she drove in Minnesota Snow all across town lookin for Optimus Prime, she got in a fight with another mom in a random target that ebbs & flows pretty much the the same as today. Im sure any parents have a good story to tell, and you have 10 minutes off free time today, go talk to momsy and dadsy about the ol' days, and remember the good times. haha.

6. keebs

keebs 32 Oh-Zee Killah

Sure was. It was the closest place to go shopping/find toys so I always wanted to go there even if I knew I didn't have a chance to get something, it was just awesome to see what they had.

7. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I was born in '75 so I remember going to TRU & Lionel Toy Warehouse in the 80s. At Lionel, I rememer a WALL of TFs. Just anyone I could imagine. I had some money to spend and couldn't make up my mind who I wanted. I wound up going to Roses and getting Rodimus Prime & Wreck-Gar.

I remember KB having a sale on the "big" TFs. I thought it was guys like Metroplex, so my dad was gonna take me. It'wasn't Metroplex, it was guys probably the size of Onslaught, etc...don't remember what I got...

I remember at Roses there were TF's at Christmas time. I just stood there staring at guys like Trypticon.

I remember finding Bumblebee, whom I NEVER saw before or after that day, in Roses. I begged my mom but she wouldn't get it. I hid it in the girl toys until I could come back, but I never found it again.

I remember buying Astrotrain & Sludge at the local Hardware store.....

Damn, those were the days....sucks that we have to get old.

8. FreshDebesh

FreshDebesh <b><font color=brickred>oye chak de phatte!</font> Veteran

Some of the stores I loved getting TF's from no longer exist. Namely Service Merchandise and Best.

9. Elvin Pena

Elvin Pena <b><font color=red>CyberCon is #1!</font></b> Veteran

News Credits:
    It seems you could buy TFs anywhere back in the day. Those were indeed the days!

10. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

I remember Service Merchandise. In fact, I worked at Service Merchandise for a summer, selling electronics.

Boy that job sucked. :p 

I was born in '78, so yeah, I bought a few of my own Transformers. Mostly at Target, KB, or Lionel Toys (R.I.P.). I distinctly remember buying the Pretender Monsterbots, the Terrorcons, the Throttlebots, and a bunch of Micromasters. So, I guess the tail end of G1. Everything before that was a gift, I believe.

11. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I was fully employed in the 80's, I guess that's why I have G1 today. :D  Oh and yes you could buy Transformers just about anywhere. I found (and bought) the original Starscream and Skywarp at Spencer's.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2007
  12. dj_convoy II

dj_convoy II Remix!

News Credits:
    I remember that my parents let me buy whatever TFs I wanted for my 8th or 9th birthday from TRU. Must've been around '86, cause I bought nothing but movie TFs.

In the late 80's I usually had pocket money and could buy TF's on my own. I remember buying Quake and Horribull, for instance, when I was 11 or 12 at the local Fred Meyer. That was always a good place to score Transformers. Still is, to some degree.

When I was a little older, there was a kind of general store near me that had (what I assume to be liquidated from another store) tons of Micromasters and Action Masters for cheap cheap cheap. I bought some Micros and the Shockwave Action Master... had I known/realized that other people besides me gave a damn about Transformers, I would have definitely bought way more and just kept 'em sealed.

13. rework

rework The Voice of Experience

The first year they came out, there was a noticable shortage of Transformers in some areas. They got pretty wiped out heading into the Christmas season where I was... To the point that I remember the drug store in the mall putting a sign in the window that said "Yes, We Have Transformers!" after getting a shipment in.

14. Rodimus Rage

Rodimus Rage Autobot Leader

edit

15. Rodimus Rage

Rodimus Rage Autobot Leader

who would have thought... TJ MAX sold transformers toys? I remember all the transformers toys my parents brought home. The one day I was allowed to pick one out was when my mother dragged me to tj max. I saw....

dun dun duuuun !!!

Powermaster Optimus Prime !!! I was like, " Moommyyyy !!! "

so yeah, I got it and i have it still to this day... the ONLY transformer i still own that whole and complete.

( r.i.p. my other transformer toys... * sniff *... )

16. Leemon

Leemon Yar, spare sum fuel mate?

News Credits:
    I was born in 1970, so I had some bought for me. And later, when I got my after school job at sixteen if was able to buy some of my own. Then, Action Masters came out and I was appalled. But, that's another story.

17. Prisoner1138

Prisoner1138 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Best, Service Merchandise, Gemco, the local TRU before they remodeled it(that place used to be a mad-house with kids all over the place, really loud automatic doors, had to walk down a 40 foot hallway after stepping in the front door, etc etc). KB Toys before they had a going out of business sale once a year.

And then of course any store worth anything had the sense to realize people would buy transformers anywhere. Saw them at the hardware store, the grocery store, the zoo, the liquor store, etc.

One of the best though, was I remember going to the store on the morning of my birthday or something and my mom letting me pick out skywarp, and then being stuck having to go to sunday service, and sitting in the pew during the sermon making jet plane and machine gun noises for an hour driving everyone around us nuts.

18. redline928

redline928 06/26/09

I got my first Optimus at Sears

19. Noisemaze2006

Noisemaze2006 Banned

My parents bought me all of them. I remember going to Bradlees, Caldor, Child World, KB, Toys R Us, Town Fair & Super X drug stores back up in Connecticut. The best memories of my life. Most of those stores don't even exist anymore. How depressing! :( 

20. Wingwolf77

Wingwolf77 Decepticon Dark lord

My mom was a great toy shopper. But it was a bit easier in those days as each character was skued. She did have to hunt shelves just stores. But she would as for a Christmas/birthday list (b day is Dec 2) in October and then she would start. I always got at least the top 3 on my list.
    86 was the best Christmas ever to me as I only got Transformers. Nothing else. That year I got Galvatron, Optimus Prime, Metroplex, Ultra Magnus, Grimlock, wheelie, Pipes, Blitzwing, Astrotrain, Bombshell, Rodimus Prime, Blurr, Sharkticon, Thrust and more mini bots