Buying Toys For Trading Purpose

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by videriant, Jun 17, 2011.

?

Rank buying toys for trading purposes? More specifically, hard-to-finds.

1. 1 - Same as scalping and funding territorism!!!

18 vote(s)
    14.5%
  2. 2

4 vote(s)
    3.2%
  3. 3

7 vote(s)
    5.6%
  4. 4

2 vote(s)
    1.6%
  5. 5

30 vote(s)
    24.2%
  6. 6

9 vote(s)
    7.3%
  7. 7

9 vote(s)
    7.3%
  8. 8

11 vote(s)
    8.9%
  9. 9

6 vote(s)
    4.8%
  10. 10 - Saintly. Like a transforming Santa Claus.

28 vote(s)
    22.6%
  1. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've seen a lot of "Will trade TFCC G2 Ramjet for XXX" ads lately and I was wondering what people thought about this practice of purchasing multiple hard to find items for trade purpose? Does this contribute to the higher aftermarket price or is it more of an equalizer against other exclusives. Note that this can take many forms like buying the TFCC G2 Ramjet or buying multiple at Botcon or even clearing out all of the Walmarts/Targets/TRU or even the Ross/Marshalls/TJMaxx.

Thanks for your time.

2. bennydeckersac

bennydeckersac Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think it depends on your markup. If you buy a RTS Windcharger at ROSS for $6 to trade for a DOTM Leader Ironhide, that seems like scalping. If you trade it for a DOTM deluxe, that seems reasonable.

3. 46+2

46+2 Well-Known Member

I see nothing wrong with this as long as we dont rape each other. TFCC G2 ramjet for another TFCC is OK or botcon for a botcon deal. Even, a marshalls rts for other classics is OK.

4. MisterFanwank

MisterFanwank Toy Industry Analyst

News Credits:
    What you get in return for the trade is irrelevant. The issue here is the effect collectors have on the supply by buying more than they "need."

I say, it's equivalent to scalping by its effect on supply. And I when I say "scalping," I am not saying that word with any implied negative connotations, unlike some other people here. I fully support people who've figured out how to supplement their salaries in an attempt to improve their lives without harming anyone.

Before anyone raises a fuss about what I've said, yes, I DO mean they aren't harming anyone, sans the occasional asshole who wrestles a figure out of someone else's hands. Before you buy something and it is 100%, truly yours, you have no reasonable expectation to be able to own it and no one owes you the obligation of giving you the chance to own it.

I understand low supplies of certain figues is frustrating, but the reaction most people give to scalpers (blaming them for the slightest hiccup in distribution, calling them the scum of the Earth, etc) is extremely shameful. It is indicative of an entitlement mindset and an inability to see your own impact on the world around you, because, like it or not, collectors make just as big of an impact on supply as scalpers, if not bigger. Everything collectors blame scalpers for, many collectors cause, too.

So, yes, buying figures for trade is the exact same thing as scalping (to put it more generally: buying the figure for a reason other than the figure), and I'll be damned if I let anyone get away with trying to vindicate buying for trade, yet at the same time vilifying scalpers. Either support both or vilify both, they have almost identical effects on supply and the aftermarket.

One final note: Buying multiples of a figure for only yourself affects the supply and aftermarket even more than buying for trade or to sell, because what you've decided you're going to keep will NOT be recirculating into the market again.

5. 46+2

46+2 Well-Known Member

Unless you bought out every store too do that, then its wrong.

6. MisterFanwank

News Credits:
    Please, explain how it's wrong. Simply saying it is so does not make it so.

I argue that one or two people being able to supplement their salaries and live better is a far better outcome than a bunch of children and collectors being able to cheaply play with a toy that will almost certainly be easily available in a couple weeks to a month.

7. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

As long as they are for equal value things I don't see and issue.
    I myself traded an Animated Arcee for a RTS Windcharger. I felt it was a good deal.

8. Sludge

Sludge Formerly NC Bulkhead

News Credits:
    Capitalism homey! It's how the world works.

9. MisterFanwank

News Credits:
    Equal value is not the issue and using that as a gauge of morality removes the element of desire from the equation, which is absurd (I desire X, so I'm willing to give up Y from my portfolio to own it, I consider this a fair trade because I desire X up to the value of Y). You can't forget relative value.

The issue is the effect on supply.

10. seali_me

seali_me Buhawi Gabay-Tala

even if you are the fastest around the area and you bought an entire stock in every store. its the same. in my eyes, you're not doing anything wrong since everyone had the same chance in the beginning. some are just not fast enough to do so. its scalping either way but is scalping really that wrong? for me, its not. if someone makes profit out of it? good for them too bad too sad for those who weren't fast enough. don't have to cry about it. just do something about it. the only thing i find wrong is to let other peeps take advantage of you. just don't let them.

11. MisterFanwank

News Credits:
    ^ And not to mention, you will be recirculating the stock at a later time, too. The inflated prices ensure that the people who want the figures the most will get them first (possibly people in poor distribution areas, or people with busy schedules). Every one who's willing to wait can get them a little bit later for the price they find reasonable.

12. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Yeah, us Western Washington guys buy figures for each other all the time, whether the payback was cash for retail price or a trade. I don't see anything wrong with it at all, we help out each other.

13. MisterFanwank

News Credits:
    So, then, we need to define the issue a bit more to exclude buying in proxy, as Kusanagi is describing, which has the same effect as buying it yourself. The issue then becomes: Buying in the hopes of future trades and the effects that has on supply.

14. seali_me

seali_me Buhawi Gabay-Tala

just did the same with my buddy. i traded universe 2.0 inferno for a MP04 Igear head. i also mentionned to him how much i bought it for initially of course and he knows i'm all about rebates. he started late with the collection and we did the trade.

15. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    :lol  sounds like something I do. Oh well, I've funded many trips to Botcon, enough not to care what anyone thinks.

16. Weirdwolf

Weirdwolf TFYLP Podcast Founder TFW2005 Supporter

I see nothing wrong with it as long as people don't take it to extremes. Especially if a deal is worked out in a mutually beneficial way. Exploitation I guess is where I have a problem with it, but everyone's definition of that will most assuredly vary.

17. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    I don't have a problem with trades. I think it's a very creative and fair way for collectors to get what they want/need and the benefits can be for either side. Of course if you're buying 25 G2 Ramjets, that's a little over the top. I've done many trades and I've felt great about it.

18. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Scalping may not be wrong but it's still pretty douchey.

19. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't want to limit this conversation, I want it to be free flowing and cover all aspect. Yuyuyami makes at least one good point though. I put scalping as a 10 but I was being tongue-in-cheek about comparing it to huge crimes.

For me, I do not care if people do it and I voted a 5. For exclusives I believe it has some affect on supply but probably not significant in the long run. While buying 25 or so figures is probably douchey, the person buying it is also taking a risk and outlaying cash.

20. Quixote_Prime

Quixote_Prime is missed.

News Credits:
    Snapping something up with the intent to trade does seem that the enterprising collector is going to put it back in circulation again. Even selling stuff does get it circulating again -- for instance, I'm currently looking for a #$@)(* Universe 2.0 Wheelie and they rarely come up on ebay or on the Junkion. I've seen more Jizaz(spelling?) versions on ebay over the last nine months than Hasbro versions. I doubt highly that folks got those with the intent to trade. They're simply htf and now, it seems to me, harder to find.

EDIT: I'd also consider RtS WC practically a no-show for how few were sold out of RtS. I'm considering doing a poll thread to see how many folks have got WC's and from where.