Buying TFs you don't want

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Reverend Frenzy, Aug 23, 2007.

1. Reverend Frenzy

Reverend Frenzy Member

Yesterday I went into Target and saw that they had the exclusive G1 color Jazz and Starscream. My first response was, "Wow! Toys on the shelf!" It has become so rare to see any movie figures on the shelf that seeing these made me perk up a bit. While I didn't plan on picking these up, and up to this point I am still not sold on them, I bought them anyway. These days, you don't have time to hesitate. I bet they will be sold out by the end of the week.

Has anyone else bought movie TFs they didn't necessarily want just because they knew if they didn't buy RIGHT NOW they would be gone in a day or two? Is that sort of panic justified?

2. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

Why would you buy something you don't want?

3. JinraiPrime

JinraiPrime 1000+ Post Club Member

I have... the answer is easy...completeist.

4. SureShot90

SureShot90 Peace=superior firepower

Ebay:
    Because if you change mind tomorrow they might not be there or you have to get ripped off on ebay.
    I've done it a few times because I knew if I didn't I'd be paying more later on.
    And if you don't want 'em you can return them or sell them to some who wants them :) 

5. iluvu_superion

iluvu_superion Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    and the answer is....unnniiiicccrrrroooonnnn....and yes, I do buy things on a whim...

6. n_tel_ekt

n_tel_ekt Wreaker

During this drought thing, Ive fought the urge to impulse buy, since the figures I wanted were absent. Last week when I finally got a 20th Prime (at the 5th stores I went to)... I was pretty happy that I didnt buy old school BB, Barricade and an Ironhide that were individually found at the previous 4 stores!

7. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Well, If I'm on the fence about something lately, I'll buy it and keep it unopened until I either return it or open it.

Example: yesterday I found Voyager Megatron. I'm keeping him sealed until I find out more about the metallic version. It hasn't yet been announced as a US release, but I've got a feeling it will with the english-language packaging.

If I can find that repaint locally within the 90 days the receipt is good for, I'll return the standard version and get the metallic instead. If not, and the voyager is all sold out, I haven't missed my chance to get the mold.

8. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

My girlfriend called me when she saw Ultimate Bumblebee. I just wasn't sure if I wanted it or not (the price!). My girlfriend decided to pick him up since TFs aren't staying on shelves. Lo and behold, of course, it was the right move because he didn't stay on shelves either.

9. Elvin Pena

Elvin Pena <b><font color=red>CyberCon is #1!</font></b> Veteran

News Credits:
    When completing (or at least, trying to) my Prime/Convoy collection I had to buy VS and combo sets that had figures that I'd never buy on their own. So yeah, I can definitely see circumstances that would make someone buy something they wouldn't want.

10. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    nope..I know what I want and I will never ever find that in stores..( G1 that is)

11. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I've bought things on a whim that I've regretted later, but have never bought something I just did not want or was unsure of at the time. Although foster's strategy makes senese for the "maybe" type of purchases.

12. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    I've made one or two impulse buys recently (Legends Rachet and RR Bee)... Both were so terrible I returned them... Everything else is purchased on a 'I know what I want, they don't have it, let's go home now' basis.

13. optimus124

optimus124 PSN ID - OPTIMUS124

Ebay:
    Never did it......never will

14. optimus124

optimus124 PSN ID - OPTIMUS124

Ebay:
    I'm glad I am not the only person that has done that. Energon Prime was it for me. Only reason I got it was because it was a prime. A prime that had a Megazord complex....bleh

15. Phorpus

Phorpus RHco.

Yes, but usually I'll get over it or just give it to somebody else.

Classics Mirage is great but I think the only reason I even have it is because everybody else talked about how awesome it is.

16. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    Probably a smart move. I understand the shock of seeing new toys, I have however been pretty good about not buying something I hadn't planned on picking up, with exception to a few legends.

17. Backstop

Backstop Have you seen my box art?

News Credits:
    I buy stuff all the time I don't want............but my son does lol..

18. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    I have been known to buy stuff that I didn't really like just to get something. The first thing that comes to mind is a Godzilla Movie toy. The figure sucked, the movie sucked and I hated the fact I bought it.

As for transformers related merch, I will not buy the FAB's no matter how little is available at the time.

19. thoughtcrime

thoughtcrime Well-Known Member

I've made a few impulse purchases. I either kitbash them, practice repainting on them, or dump them in BST. In a few cases Im even pleasantly surprised.

20. beatrush

beatrush Collects too many things

Ebay:
    If I am on the fence about an item, I will buy it and decide later. I try not too do this often though because I end up wanting the item.