Buying Questions

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Blitzkrieg, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg Supreme Leader

I have some general questions about buying Transformers that are not complete. Do you think it's cheaper in the long run to buy Transformers that are not complete and add what they need later?. Or is it a better idea to buy a Transformer that is 100 % Complete?. Any comments or thoughts?

2. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Me personally, I would always buy 100% complete right off the bat. Too much time, effort and potential cost in hunting for the missing pieces. Then again, I can be quite lazy!

I know for a fact though, that many others round these parts feel differently.

3. Blitzkrieg

Ok, just curious. Perceptor on ebay is 50 bucks, awesome conditon, complete with accessories. But, no stickers and instruction booklet, so just wondering if it would be cheaper to buy separately. :) 

4. smokey420

smokey420 auto-con

I would do the same thing and buy complete if possible,and not waste time hunting down a missle or foot in the future.Takes too much time unless you dont mind wasting time hunting for parts

5. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Ah right, well that is slightly different IMO. For things like stickers, you can always go to Reprolabels, and missing instructions wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. It's things like weapons, or small parts (like headmasters or accessories for G1 Roadbuster) that can be the real headache.

6. Blitzkrieg

Yes agreed, and i've seen sellers on ebay charge ridiculous prices for things like feet, weapons, and other accessories.

7. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

So you gonna buy that Perceptor..?

8. Blitzkrieg

Not sure to be honest, I might. I'll see how hard it is to get instruction booklets and sticker sheets.

9. Red Hope

Red Hope Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Depends on the TF and the TF's condition. If I know it's a rare one but in super mint shape then I'm prompted to buy it incomplete. Now if has heavy sticker wear but mint otherwise and 100% complete, then I definitely will cuz of Repro Labels.

Complete is definitely easier and often cheaper in the long run.

10. herugrim

herugrim Defiler of Energon

Ebay:
    Depends on the toy in question. For perceptor your probably better off getting 100% complete.

However city formers come with a ton of parts and 100% costs an exuberrant amount of money. After doing the math I found it much cheaper to buy an IC Trypticon and buy his accessories seperately.

11. beanman

beanman Not a Decepticon

News Credits:
    I think it depends...I've been able to score some decent lots for good prices and been able to find deals on accessories for less than what it would cost to buy a figure complete (I'm talking G1 here - and I'm not a "completist," so I don't look for all three missles when one will do, etc.).

Still, with that being said, part of what I like about collecting is trying to find the deals...but, I can also see where buying complete to avoid hassle is preferable.

12. AutoBobby

AutoBobby The Collector

For me it all depends on the price.If it's a good deal,I'll get it,even if it's not complete.

13. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    do the math:
    sellers know that they can cannibalize a Fort Max and sell individual parts off it and make enough to buy 2 of them.

and it takes a lot of effort to scavenger hunt parts.

i buy MIB/MISB as much as possible or financially possible. I have bought some G1 items incomplete, but i double check to see that what's missing isn't some holy grail of an item.

one last thing- ask around here and someone can tell you of a guy that makes replacement guns/accessories for certain figures. that may make buying one or two incomplete figures a bit easier

14. the11thdoctor

the11thdoctor Active Member

Me I will buy either way. I buy enough lots that I usually end up finding what I am missing. Sometimes I find the accessories first and then buy the figure last. I got all the accessories for Wheeljack in a lot of Joe stuff I bought. Well all I had to do was buy a good Wheeljack. If you are lucky that way it ends up being cheaper. But then again it could be a hit or miss and you could have a lot of mix match. For me that is half the fun of collecting.