Buying Practices

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by M-Prime, Apr 11, 2006.

1. M-Prime

M-Prime Banned

A point was brought up in Ops_was_a_truck's "Are We Freaks" thread about folks judging others based on their buying practices, and it led me to wonder what all of y'all's personal buying practices are? Do you buy strictly Japanese imports of any given line, or do you buy american? Do you buy complete lines, or pick and choose based on whatever personal preferences you may have?

I ask because I have a good friend who is also a TF fan, and constantly judges my collection as being less than his because he buys Japanese imports of show characters only, only Takara reissues, and only Binaltech. He is a single guy with no kids, and looks down on my collection because I am married w/ kids, and have totally different priorities. Makes me want to :stick:  him. I am still a huge fan, and love collecting Transformers, but I buy american, Alternators, and Hasbro reissues to save on $$$.

Personally, I don't buy complete lines (except Alternators). I only buy the pieces I like (unfortunately Cybertron has been a seriously kick ass line, and I have bought almost all of it), but I understand the completist mentality 100%.

How's about y'all???

2. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

For the most part, I only buy figures I'm interested in. Very rarely will I buy something on a whim - or a whim that doesn't get thought about first.

Dirt Boss made it into my collection only because he was the only one that came in a 2-pack with Sideways that I didn't already have. ;) 

I generally only buy domestic, but every so often, if I can get a good price, I like to grab a Binaltech - I've only got Yellow Tracks and Dead End now, but if I can find more for cheap, I plan to snag em. ;) 

The hunt is fun for the first week or so... after that, though, it feels like just wasting gas. Regardless, I DO enjoy that week of hunting while it's fun.

3. Optimus_Prime84

Optimus_Prime84 Well-Known Member

Do you buy strictly Japanese imports of any given line, or do you buy american?
    I buy US one but will buy Japanese if i like it. Do you buy complete lines?No, i buy the one i like and no others.

4. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    My buying habits vary depending on the line... I was an Alt completist until I saw Rollbar so I'm reconsidering that one.

I tried being a completist once with RiD but it got insane keeping up. For Armada I got one of every mold, no repaints, and same with Energon... except combiners, and E Starscream, and Roadblock, and I got Quickstrike for Christmas...

Cybertron I didn't want to be a completist... but damn, it's been too good, even the repaints...

As far as imports, only the ones I really like or that I know the US version is going to ruin (Vector Prime, C Starscream, Sonic Bomber) or ones I cant get here either for availability or rarity (BT Grimlock, BW2 Galvatron). I stick to domestic for all figures unless domestic isn't an option.

5. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    I buy both...

Both Alternators and BinalTech and BinalTech*...
    I buy all the TFCs and the US Hasbro TRU re-issues if they're not released on the Takara side...
    I bought all Galaxy Force and picked up some of the CYB exclusives...
    I bought all Energon and no Superlink

The way I see it, I'm really preventing myself from enjoying what Transformers has to offer if I only get Hasbro or if I only get Takara...

6. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    I only get BTs but not every repaint like the red jazz and blue tracks. I get only G1 figs and mostly vintage complete ones. but I also collect E-hobby stuff and the TFC.

7. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Hecho en Argentina

News Credits:
    Well most of the TFs I can get are american. Sometimes a japanese figure show up but they are not that common.
    Honestly I don't care if it's japanese or american, as long I can afford it and it's a figure that I want I buy it.

8. M-Prime

M-Prime Banned

Hit the nail on the head, you just used the words I couldn't find. I have bought some Takara stuff that Hasbro did not release (TFC Soundwave & Insecticons, Robotmasters Starscream), but mostly for me it comes down to the almighty $. Mortgage, wife & kids come first, Tformers second.

And I NEVER judge someone else on their buying practices. I feel that whatever makes a person happy, makes me happy. That and morphine.

9. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

I usually buy strictly US releases. The only Jap releases I have (other than some random KT figures from a local comic shop) is the bullet trains from Car Robots since I found them cheaper than the RID versions and Robot Masters G1 Convoy.

I don't complete lines but I come damn close sometimes. I'll usually buy stuff I want and when new figures aren't popping up I might grab something I would have ordinarily passed on. If I like a figure I'll usually buy its repaint as well (lone exception being Cybertron Jetfire's repaint as I don't like the scheme much)

Personally I prefer more realalistic military (tank/artillery and aircraft being my favorites)based TFs and will go for those first. I'll then go for mechanized animals (no squishies for me) if it seems like a cool figure but after those two choices I'll pick up anything else as long as its seminally interesting. I also like my stuff to have a real world paint job so that kind of dictates my choices too (and one reason I hope they keep the movie line accurate to the movie since they've said that the military transformers would use proper colorings).

Overall I guess I'm pretty sparadic. I've never completed a line except for the on going Alts and I generally won't go out of my way to make sure I get something. I also hate buying stuff online as I like to have what I paid for when I give up the monies for it (not that I've ever been burned by anyone (other than B'sT&G sent me a receipt for something I ordered then never filled the order or charged me for it but that wasn't really being burned)

I don't tend to judge people on what they buy, but I do question why people will spend two to three times as much for an import of a toy that will be stateside in a bitand then shit on other people or think they are in some elite club for doing so. Just because you have the money doesn't mean you have to spend it. (I understand the releases sometimes differ but honestly I like my Hasbro Vector Prime and while it does have its faults it gets a lot of flack from people who have never even handled it)

10. slugslinger2004

slugslinger2004 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I buy mostly Hasbro stuff, but thats mostly b/c its just cheaper. Hell, I hardly ever even buy stuff when its out in stores anyway. For me it's whatevers cheaper or if I have the money I just get the version that looks good to me (galaxy force vector prime, and he was on sale at diital toys :)  )

11. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

My TF collection is slanted toward Decepticons but I buy Autobots on occassion like Hot Rod and its many incarnations. I do have a budget so I avoid buying Japanese TFs unless it's not released here ex. Overlord, Liokaiser. I have been a completist on Decepticon over the past several lines from RiD. Only thing I am missing are the basic sized ones. I will continue to support Binaltech/Alternator and any new TF line that's coming out. The last Japanese imports I buy are GF Megatron, Starscream, and Thundercracker. I regret those purchases except SS and I won't be making the kind of purchase based on urges rather than common sense. I see no problem supporting Cybertron and Hasbro TF in general even if the QC is not up to par compare to Takara. I got too many other toys to buy for me to get the best TF out there. As a result I won't be going after GF Soundblaster even though I think it looks great in black.

12. Superion33

Superion33 Banned

What is the difference between Binaltech and Binaltech*?

Generally speaking, how does Binaltech compare to Alternators?

13. Nerd Bomber

Nerd Bomber Consulting your needs

Only item I've ever imported was reissue Soundwave. Other than that I'm hasbro all of the way!

14. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

Binaltech are die cast versions of Alternators. Asterisk are Binaltech figues who come with some human female figues who have featured in various TF shows.

As for my own buying habits I buy the figues I want only. Back around BW/BM I got versions of each and every show character, but by Car Robots I was getting tired of it. Armada put me off toys completely, except for Unicron natually so I focused on Alts. Then with Energon and Cybertron I just buy my favorites either based on show character or overall design. I normally buy Hasbro too, it's cheaper, unless I just can't find it anywhere like when Alt Tracks was rare I finally found the Binaltech one at a toy show last year, or if it's only available in Japan, I make a list of those I want to pick up at the next BotCon like Broadblast and Alert.

15. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    BinalTech* are basically repaints/remolds of regular BinalTech... So far there have been three: Alert (repainted/remolded STi version of Streak,) Sunstreaker (repaint of Dead End,) and Broadblast (repaint of Skids.)

They also come with a female figure that includes interchangeable parts so that they can sit in the driver's seat with hands on the steering wheel.

The BT* also comes in different packaging... It's basically a sub line of BT...

As for BT comparisons to ALT, BTs have diecast metal parts, constent packaging, and in some cases, subtle differences in paint compared to their ALT counterparts... There are also BTs that aren't in the ALT line and vice versa... There's differences in names on some too... Like Laserwave instead of Shockblast, Overdrive instead of Windcharger, Lambor instead of Sideswipe, and Streak instead of Silverstreak... Also Prowl has Honda badges instead of Acura for BT and is known as a Honda Integra Type-R instead of an Acura RSX... Skids is also known as a Toyota bB instead of a Scion xB...

BT/BT* has the following:

1. Smokescreen paint variant #7
    2. Smokescreen GT #1 and #2 variants
    3. Yellow Tracks
    4. Red Meister
    5. Blue Prowl
    6. Alert
    7. Sunstreaker (different paint apps than ALT)
    8. Skids (different paint apps than ALT)
    9. Broadblast

ALT has the following:

1. Decepticharge
    2. Swerve
    3. Rollbar
    4. Ricochet
    5. Optimus Prime (as of right now there isn't a BT)
    6. Sunstreaker (different paint apps than BT)
    7. Skids (different paint apps than BT)

BT/BT* has more of a 1:24 model car collector's feel to it with the boxes and the die cast metal... ALTs are more for a "play with them" collector... :thumbs2: 

16. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Hm, where to start.

Completist- Definintely for G1, except for some of the rare Japanese only late-era stuff, I've got pretty much everything I'm after, though I still need some micros and Pretenders (but I don't really count them towards the G1 is complete goal). I also went completist for Energon, but I realized I bought a fair number of crappy figures that way, especially with so many straight repaints. I had everything but Magnus, Rapid Run, and Quickstrike (possibly one other, I forget) but I've sold off a few since then and have more I want to get rid of. For other lines I'm trying to stick to just show characters (Cyb and BW) and so far I'm in good shape. Armada and Universe (and other lines) I've just got a handful of "ooh that's cool" bots. So in general, I'm not doing the completist thing anymore. No space for it either. :p 

Importing vs domestic- Money is always a factor, so I try to buy domestic when I can. That said, I don't mind importing certain mainline figures if they're significantly cool and I can get them 6 months earlier like I did with Soundwave and CD Scattorshot. For reissues, I collect the TFCs, but then I had the original G1 for most of the reissues before I started to care about them anyway. For the most part it comes down to cost.

BT/Alt- I just stick to alts, but I do have the 3 BTAs. And a yellow Tracks. I was going to get the BTs when they different from Alts, and that'd only leave me with Red Meister and Blue Prowl to get, but I just don't care that much now. Plus the prices drive me away.

17. NeilJam

NeilJam Resident Audiophile

I only buy Autobot Alternators. I know it seems silly but I just don't like any of the Decepticons in this line. There are few 'Bots that I don't want from the series. I actually got Rollbar, but won't be buying Ricochet.

The only TF toy I have that isn't from Hasbro is the transforming trailer for 20th Anniversary Prime. I'd like to have some of the BT*s, partly for the figures that come with them, but they're too expensive for me. I may also get the new THS Starscream if Hasbro does not be produce it here as a Masterpiece figure.

When it comes to recreational spending, my priority is getting to as many Pearl Jam concerts as I can each year. Then comes my Lego collection, followed by TFs. Probably why I am only getting Alternators. I will check out the movie line next year, but not set on getting any until I see them.

18. artiepants

artiepants Just over here punching Unicron.

News Credits:
    i buy wwhat i like, and anyone looking down on your collection because it's not as good as hiis is silly ~ come on, at the end of the day there kids toys.

( but i do think Alts suck compared to BT :p  )

19. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

i usually buy the us ones that i know will be plentifull and not hard to find, i special order the Japanese ones of figures that i just cant stand to wait for and in gf/cyb case the ones that i really want the trading card of aswell, ie soundwave ,metroplex,primus, scrapmetal. I have trading cards for all of the energon characters and didnt want to leave those four without a card. I know its sappy.

20. dgblast5

dgblast5 Well-Known Member

I only buy for sentimental value. Occasionally, I let the cool ones get past this guideline (such as RID Scourge), but I mainly buy toys for sentimental value. Consequently, I have very few toys. However, each one I have has its unique value to me. I would never buy just to increase my toy count, since each toy would eventually lose its special feature, and all I would have would be a ton of toys sitting on the shelves.