Buying Online Vs Buying In Store

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by TheDemonDzko, May 23, 2011.

1. TheDemonDzko

TheDemonDzko °-{[●□●]}-° {Beep. Boop.)

Always always always, there is the person complaining about how they can't find a toy, and always always always, there is the dude that either Links them to BBTS, or another online site.

Problem is though, not everybody can order online. What do you do then?

2. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    i perfer buying in store, it is just more satisfying, and i am more likely to impulse buy in stores than online

but with the way distribution has been i mostly buy everything online

3. nelodiavolo

nelodiavolo Transformer Nerd

News Credits:
    For me, it really depends on the distribution of my local Targets. For the RTS\GEN line, I just ordered all waves through BBTS since I was having no luck locally.

Thanks to high gas prices (CA) and my Turbo WRX needing 91 premium, its much more cost effective to buy online for popular figures.

However, the movie line has been pretty good. So far I found the ones I wanted when finally making my way to the store.

4. seali_me

seali_me Buhawi Gabay-Tala

i hate buying stuff online. i don't like the anticipation and sometimes frustration regarding shipping problems. i buy mostly if not all of my toys from local stores and don't mind spending for gas.

although the exchange rate is pretty good. cad vs us. i should buy more online.

5. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    I've only done online about four times. I just like doing stores because I dont have to wait or pay for shipping. With some figures it wouldnt matter anyway. Wreckgar was a pain on both fronts.

6. Sam Witwicky

Sam Witwicky Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Pretty much this for me as well lol.

7. DeathAnghell

DeathAnghell Beast Wars!

I usually buy in store, but all of our local stores only have Revenge of the Fallen figures or the older figures from last summer.

I've been ordering a bunch of the old Beast Wars figures online though. I'll probably start ordering stuff from BBTS since the local stores have terrible selections.

8. Wyvern

Wyvern Velvet Sanchez

News Credits:
    I like buying at stores but have found out recently that there are more and more collectors to compete against where I live. So online shopping is a must at times. I'm sure I can find mire if the figures I want if I expanded my search but I don't want to be driving around like a moron for an hour or two.

9. anotheran

anotheran Old skooler

I buy movie stuff, stuff I can do without, or stuff priced online are too high then I buy in store. So it's been 50/50 online and store

10. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Proxy. Hook up with someone who can buy the toys for me online.

11. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I'm lucky in that I live not too far away from both ToyzandGamez and Kapow so I can get them to hold me something and then go pick it up in person when I go out to collect my monthly comics. If I didn't have those options though I dunno if I'd go full online shopping for stuff that's hard to find or never comes out here or I'd just skip those figures entirely.

I prefer not to shop online as I like to dig through figures in person and find the ones with good paint apps or check nothing is rattling loose in the package. It's also nice to pay and be able to have the figure right away rather than pay and then wait however long for it to ship. Then there's the hassle of stuff getting lost in the mail or having to post back an item if it's wrong or faulty and wait all over again for replacement.

12. jestermon

jestermon Well-Known Member

I have tried to stop buying current items online, try to stick to finding them so it limits my spending, just buy vintage/out of store items.

13. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    I'll buy movies, games, books, electronics and non-transformer toys online, but not transformers.

Transformers are usually overpriced online, adding on top of the already jacked up retail prices, then on top of that you have the shipping costs. I mean, £23 is already £3 too much for what you get at the voyager pricepoint, but add on the store wanting an extra £5 or so on top. Then you add the shipping costs and by the time its all done you're paying £30+ for a £20 toy.

Even if I really want a figure and cant find it at retail, it isnt worth paying almost twice the price in most cases to get it online.

14. Grimlockprime16

Grimlockprime16 Me Grimlock King!

I buy alot of my transformers online. I would say its 60/40. I do like to buy in stores as well tho. I love the hunt but filling up my truck to go on the hunt sux lol.

15. amethysted

amethysted Well-Known Member

I try to pick up my new TFs from a brick n morter store if possible.

Gas is expensive, so we usually make a supply run each week and I'll go wherevers closest to the food stores...

For Imports and hard to find items I will buy online.
    BBTS is expensive, but a good quality and fast service.

Amazon is getting more of my business as of late. They have both Shockwave and Skyhammer in stock. No leader Ironhide, yet...

I couldnt find them in Walmart or Target, so I ordered them online.

Should be on my doorstep this week!

16. Tripredacus

Tripredacus K-Mart-ian Legend

News Credits:
    I will buy online only for either EOL or international product.

17. Pride21

Pride21 Honor Wisdom Virtue

I prefer in store purchases.

For me the pros are cheaper prices and not having to wait for delivery.

Online is always a secondary option.

Namely when the local TRU & Walmart are stuck on a particular wave.

Or like with RTS Voyagers & Legends which they were not going to release locally.

18. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    online for mostly everything, not too much in stores here

19. Shadow25

Shadow25 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I prefer buying in store. I like the thrill of the hunt so to speak, plus, you can actually examine the figures in person. I like to pick out figures which seem to have the best paint apps, etc. If you order online, it's sort of luck of the draw. Plus, there seem to be QC issues with DOTM, and when I bought a Megatron the other day, only some of the fusion cannons locked into place, so I was lucky to get a functional one.

20. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I try to find whatever I can locally. I have a local hunter friend that's really come through for me in recent years (Squall42080) since he hits up a lot more stores and is much more savvy about toy hunting than I am.

I have gone the BBTS or HTS route before. If the local distribution is piss poor, it's almost better to just shell out the extra $$ on shipping when ordering online. Think of how much gas you waste driving from store to store multiple times a week with the added insult that none of said stores are carrying what you want.