Buying old things to fit in with new things

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Abrogate, Apr 18, 2010.

1. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    So, I missed out on most of Universe at retail, and a few weeks ago I had some money and decided to play catch up here in the Junkion. I bought the new molds and the more obvious recolors, but I waffled on whether or not I wanted the recolors of older molds.

One of the ones I considered getting was Blades, but I already had the Springer version of the mold, and while it's a great mold, I wasn't sure I needed it to in my collection twice. I liked both the color scheme and the tech spec, but I still wasn't sure if it was worth it. But, when the Botcon brochure mentioned Streetwise, I bit the bullet and ebayed Blades so they could be Protectobot buds.

Anyone else do stuff like this? I figure the most obvious answer is "I bought Magnus after the City Commander armor came out," but let's hear em anyway :D 

2. Obsidian X

Obsidian X Dork of the moon

The day when I found out that they were doing a universe Darkwing/Darkwind I instantly hit ebay and bought a botcon Dreadwind.

3. Abrogate

News Credits:
    I did that too, though I was already planning to backpedal for the whole 2007 set

4. Obsidian X

Yeah I was on the fence about buying Dreadwing prior to Darkwing being confirmed for release. I'm such a whore for classics/universe etc, I buy anything that fits vaguely.
    I bought a Cybertron Evac pretty recently to use as a classic Blaze Master, sure the colors isn't spot on but it works for me.

5. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

Well.... earlier this year I finally ordered one of the Botcon '05 sets that were languishing in the TFCC store. Two of the bonuses of doing so were getting a Deathsaurus to go with '09 Leozack, and a serviceable Classics Outback (well, Fallback). Not sure I would say that was WHY I ordered the set, but it was part of it.

Oh, about a year ago I also picked up the BW 10th Anniversary Primal and Megatron (the new-mold deluxes that were later repainted in the Cybertron line) because I figured they would make some nice extra Classics-style BW figures to stand alongside Cheetor and Dinobot.

6. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I love the mold, but TFU Blades is the best of all the variants.
    awesome.

but the Cybertron Evac as a Blaze Master stand in idea was honest to god, inspired.

as far as buying old for new, i don't think i have done that yet- or at least consciously.

guess i just buy for the character, not stand in figures, lol.

7. ae_productions

ae_productions G1 Fan

Hells yes!

8. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The upcoming Botcon set is tempting me to pick up Botcon 08 Sideswipe.

9. Abrogate

News Credits:
    I've been thinking of doing that too, though as of right now I don't really have the cash to spare on that set. I'm also holding out hope that one day we'll get a new mold Deathsaurus, one that's not so organic...

To go with Tread Bolt, or just because? I gotta tell ya... I own Springer (and soon Blades), but not Evac. And I own Jetfire and Dreadwing, but not Tread Bolt. And if I had to have a 3rd of either of those, I'd buy Evac, but I wouldn't buy Tread Bolt. I like his colors, but that mold's poorly placed articulation drives me nuts.

Just like with Tread Bolt, I like his colors (more than Tread Bolt's, even), but I can't buy any Armada molds again...

10. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Blades is probably the best of the repaints in the Universe'08 line. Perfect alt mode and a decent bot mode for the character. But I wouldn't say it's perfect as-is as I'm making some mods to mine for my custom Protectobots. It's close though.

The oldest thing I have fitting in with newer toys, however, are the TRU reissue Insecticons. They may lack a bit in articulation with the Henkei crowd, but they look damn close to belonging there.

11. Nez Pierce

Nez Pierce @evildanish

News Credits:
    I bought a really yellowed beat up Fort Max carcass to use as a robot heroes playset...not sure how well that's going to work out.

12. kenm2474

kenm2474 LORD DC TFW2005 Supporter

"I bought Magnus after the City Commander armor came out,"

13. Obsidian X

I have Tread Bolt yes, but if I had seen the similarity I would have bought Evac even if I didn't have Tread Bolt.
    I guess because they repainted quite a few Cybertron molds into universe2.0 my mind always wanders into which G1 characters I can use the Cybertron toys as standins for when I see any cybertron toys online.
    I have been thinking maybe I should remove the stuff that makes him into a rescue helicopter though, it says rescue on him and maybe I should remove the retractable hook and add a gun there...

I like the Classic Jetfire mold, I got the japanese Dark Skyfire repaint the other day (my fourth version of that mold). I might use him as Classic Whisper, or I might paint Dirges brown parts black and use him as Whisper instead(the 2008 Dirge universe repaint of Galaxy Force Starscream).

14. Obsidian X

What kind of mods are you doing? I have him too and I like him but would like to diffrentiate him a little bit from my Blaze Master (Cybertron Evac).
    The toy got those pegs on his legs, which would be a perfect place to use when adding some cannons on his legs that Blades has. I gotta get me some sort of cannons that fit there.

15. Matt_M

Matt_M Snarkabot

News Credits:
    I didn't want to dish out for a Henkei Red Alert, so I got Universe (2003) Inferno, and just pretend. 'sides, I love that mold.