Buying multiples, I don't understand why..

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Erland, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Erland

Erland Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I got a question for those of you collectors that buy multiples of a character...

why?

I understand having a couple of each, like maybe 2, 1 for bot and 1 for alt mode to display, and at most of having 1 more for a MISB but, I have seen peoples collections that have 5, 10, 15 of one single character. Only exception I see for this situation would be someone like blitzwing you would have 2 in alt and 1 bot, and 1 MISB, so 4 max.

I can maybe see having a couple of vehicons or scourges for troop building, and maybe wreck-gar/junk heap if you plan on customizing some to make other junkions. I saw a guy with like 20 Wreck-Gars sitting on like 20 Junk heaps, and I think he was customizing some but, it makes no sense to have that many. With a character like Vehicon I can see getting:

1x FE
    1x AM Car
    1x RiD
    1x AM Jet

Maybe a second one of the jet and another car but, having 10, 15, 20 of them just makes no sense to me.

I saw one guy that had 3 generation kups all displayed in bot mode. I've seen other people that have several of a single character, from a single line all shoved on a shelf in the same mode. I don't get it, why do this?

What does this add to your collection? Can you not just hold one at a time and look at it? Do you have to double fist them when looking? What is your thought process when buying these? I can possibly see buying more than one cause you thought you didn't have one and ended up you actually did but, then me personally, I would sell it or take it back if I did that.

The only other exception I see is for customizing, but then once it's been customized, it no longer fits into this question.

To me it seems like a waste of money, time, and space but, then again, I have a wife and 3 kids so.. I need my money, time, and space other people can afford to waste it but..

EDIT: oh, and i'm not trying to make fun of anyone or demean them in any way, I'm just curious as to why.

2. orangeitis

orangeitis Sick Kiss Players Lover

Ebay:
    If I like both/all molds/decos of a character, I'll get them. Simple as that.

3. Erland

Erland Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If they are different decos of a single character like say, darkmount and skullgrin (or even prime vehicon), I can still see getting at least 1 of each and possibly up to 3 of each, 1 alt, 1 bot, 1 MISB, (for the die hard collector) but I'm talking the people that buy 5 skullgrins and display them all together all in bot mode all next to each other or just shoved on a shelf..

4. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Just a regular old plumbus

News Credits:
    I'll only troop build for nameless, faceless grunts. Since a long time, the Vehicons have come along to allow for troop building. Well, and Wreck Gar but you'll need new heads for him.

Why do I do this? Well, it's because of the GI Joe collector in me. I liked having a lot of bad guys for my good guys to fight, and those guys with silver face plates were pretty awesome. I never really built squads or whatever when I was a kid, but that never left me. Having multiples of grunt figures feels "right" to me, and that's why I do it.

5. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Yeah, aside from what you've already posted, my only example of multiples are 3 Gen. Scourges as Sweeps and (soon to be) 3 Gen. Thundercrackers as the blue generic Seekers.

As for my Junkions, I have 3 Junkheaps and 2 RTS Wreck-Gars, along with United Wreck-Gar. None of them ride a similar-deco bike. Got one more bike awaiting a United Scrapheap, but I honestly can't remember right now if that was a Wreck-Gar or Junkheap.

I was also thinking about getting a couple more RTS Lugnuts, though, to display as Centurion Droids.

6. 643

643 Barricade Fan Girl

News Credits:
    I think it all comes down to what people do with their collections. I have 5 cyberverse vehicons because I have all my Prime cyberverse figures on a shelf in an epic battle and it would look weird to only have one vehicon amoung the group.

On the flip side of that, I have multiples of several versions of Barricade. He's my favorite character so I try to get onE to open and display, one to keep MISB, and one to keep stored incase something happens to the opened one. If I come accross one on discount somewhere I would most likely pick it up to customize.

I also know that people will sometimes pick up an extra figure incase the first one breaks. It really all depends on the person.

7. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    If I had the space, I'd totally army build HA Icepicks to be like snowy Vehicons, so my guess is that people just like to simulate an army. Either that or make a showcase of sorts for that specific character (maybe like a 3d slideshow/gallery), in which case its still really up to the collector.

For me though, one is normally good enough (I'll very rarely even buy multiples of the same character unless I seem as being very different toys like the FE & PRiD Arcee), and short of Sideswipe/Red Alert & G1/G2 Bonecrusher, I don't even think I have Transformers that share a mold. I've got 2 Vehicons (and I'll have 3 by tomorrow), but they're the FE car, PRiD car, and AM jet, so with that trio its more like they're just themed than anything else.

8. MachSabre

MachSabre Blackmarket T-Cog Dealer

Well, I know someone who's not a huge TF fan, but a huge Camaro fan, and he decided that during the first movie, that he wanted all the variations of the deluxe Bumblebees. Which in the first movie wasn't that ridiculous. It was just the original (which he never got) Cliffjumper, the Premium class, the stealth, the battle damaged Evolution one and the Allspark powered one. It was kinda silly, but it wasn't some sort of obsession. He just liked it and he enjoyed getting them. (He actually HAS a 2009 Camaro.) When RotF came out, he thought he already had five of them, he might as well keep on getting Camaros. It was just a fun little thing to do for him. After a while, he just decided to focus on the Camaros that looked distinctly different enough in car mode. (Like if Bumblebee has the Rally Racer logos on him, or the NEST logo. Just something that at a glance didn't look like the same toy bought a dozen times over. So he really ate up the ones that were drastically different looking.)

I think last time I saw him, he had like... fifteen Bumblebees. (And a Cliffjumper.) It was silly, but it was a neat little hobby he enjoyed. And I gotta admit, it was kinda neat to see all these Camaros in a curio cabinet.

9. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

The only reason why I have multiples is due to rarity. If a figure is really difficult to find then I'll buy a second one and keep it in the box.

10. Big Dawg

Big Dawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have two wreck gars and two junkheap, one of each in each mode, riding each other

11. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    Does he have Cyberfire Bumblebee (murderbee)? If not, definitely bring this to his attention. :) 

12. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    I think the OP is saying two he can understand, 3 in rare exceptions (i.e. triplechangers) but having more than 4 etc is what he can't get :) 

13. strangeguy32000

strangeguy32000 Well-Known Member

For whetever reason I aalways seem to end up with many sets of multiples though the multiple Sideswipes I have are intentional, I Like movie sideswipe.

14. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Rattrap Teabag

News Credits:
    I don't troop build that way for the most part (I do have a few Scourges as Sweeps) but not all collectors collect the same way I do. I don't feel like I have to understand why they collect the way they do.

15. Sharpfinger

Sharpfinger Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    7 Cyberverse Vehicons at work and another 5 at home. They are a troop and having a lot of them is just what happens in Cartoon. Have six Animated Autotroopers, too (and more coming)... they are... a troop! Show accuracy :D 

Have some more multiples, usually to display in two or more shelves. One Animated Voyager Optimus at my "Optimus Prime" shelf, another in "Ark Crew" shelf and another at "Stunti-Con Job" shelf.

16. bny888

bny888 バグバイト

News Credits:
    1. What does this add to your collection?

I am of the opinion that troop building should not be confined to "conventional" characters like Vehicons. So, I have multiple Mini-bots, particularly G1 Bumblebee;

2. Can you not just hold one at a time and look at it? Do you have to double fist them when looking?

Nope. The essence of troop building is multiples of the same or similar characters. Double fist? Not familiar with the phrase, but sounds kinky.

3. What is your thought process when buying these? I can possibly see buying more than one cause you thought you didn't have one and ended up you actually did but, then me personally, I would sell it or take it back if I did that.

Gotta have more, more, more! j/k

4. To me it seems like a waste of money, time, and space but, then again, I have a wife and 3 kids so.. I need my money, time, and space other people can afford to waste it but..

You used "waste" twice in a sentence, seems you feel strongly that troop builders are wasters of resources (which I might add are theirs to use as they please).

I actually hesitated answering your questions since it's like I have to justify my collecting preferences, but like you said, you are curious...

17. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    Not gonna lie here. When I first glanced at your post, I immediately laughed at the thought of the "3 kids" comment being the OP's troop building comparison. :lol 

18. Cyclonus79

Cyclonus79 Decepticon General

Ebay:
    Iv only got 4 jet Vehicons an 5 regular Vehicons, plus 1 FE. An there all MISB. Why? Cause I'm a MISB collector / part time troop builder. ( it's pointless, I kno.)

19. xMostWanted559x

xMostWanted559x Well-Known Member

Other than value to resell. How come people collect misb? I wouldn't be able to resist not being able to touch it.

20. bny888

bny888 バグバイト

News Credits:
    Some want to have pristine/untouched examples, like works of art. Admittedly, I'm more of an MISB collector, but I also like to fiddle with the figures, hence loose or opened ones, at least one of each mold.