Buying MP Starscream Question

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Johnator, Nov 21, 2007.

1. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!

I already own MP Starscream and have been on a lookout for more since for fellow boardmembers (still haven't found any yet). A friend of mine (the only other person in our group of friends who also is a hardcore TF fan) calls me and says he has found one but isn't sure to get it now or later when they "go on clearance or are cheaper online" I told him to BUY IT NOW but did I give good advice? Will the toy be cheaper down the road or will it become more of an evil scalper "charge triple what I paid for it" kind of deal? The reason why I ask is that neither of us are exactly financially "super comfortable" so the money is a big deal to him. I just don't want him to regret it later.

2. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Buy it now, you have three months to return it if you need the money later. Or you can sell it to another fan.

3. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    The toy is a store exclusive so it's unlikely to go on clearance later. They won't be making as many as other transformers.

4. decepticon665

decepticon665 the amazing bored-man!

i have to kinda agree with both thoughts.
    my walmart still has dozens of mp primes,but that doesn't mean anything as pertains to starscream...the reason i bought mine right off because i wanted him badly enough to not want to risk missing out.
    therein lies the question:do you want him enough to want to avoid missing him?

5. Xaxis

Xaxis Well-Known Member

"Buy it now" was the right thing to tell him. They're not going to be clearance-priced shelf-warmers by any means.

6. Johnator

Thank you for these replies. The fact that he has 90 days to return it is helpful. Hopefully that helps then since if he needs the money he can take it back.

7. Johnator

I hope you are right since that means he is probably saving money in the long run.

8. shogun221

shogun221 timewaster extraordinaire

Ebay:
    Only one of the 3-4 walmarts near me received MP SS and they've since sold out. The situation may change, but as it stands I'm not at all confident that he's going to be a regular presence on store shelves. Nabbing him when you first see him isn't bad advice...

9. BadJeff

BadJeff Bite my shiny metal ass!

Though I totally agree with your comment, I was able to grab the Classic Ultra Magnus/Skywarp 2 pk on clearance for $14.98. No likely to see any in store deals on MP SS IMO.

10. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    You won't likely be able to find him unless you go out first thing tomorrow. With TFs being the big toy item, I'd bet that anything Transformers is gone come Saturday.

11. EvaUnit13

EvaUnit13 REBUILD

But now the hype has gone up for TFs, not like the semi-shelfwarming days

12. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    Target exclusives and Walmart exclusives are two different things entirely. Walmart will keep them around until they're gone.
    Target will stick them on an endcap and clearance them out when their time on the endcap is over.

I do think it's safe to say that once they're gone, they're gone. And judging by how fast they're going (selling out in hours in some cases) they won't be around for long at all.

13. General Tekno

General Tekno Self-Styled #1 Lugnut Fan

News Credits:
    Any idea if they'll still be around come Christmas?

I'm gonna be down in the States then, and the plan is to pick one up if I can find one.

14. Dark Starscream

Dark Starscream w/Powermaster Cobra Cmdr.

Has anyone else noticed poor paint applications on this figure? I saw one in Wal-Mart a few days ago, and despite wanting him badly, I passed on him because he had many red and blue mispaints in the white areas.

I couldn't even buy him to sell in fear of negative feedback, it was that bad.

15. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well, the big difference there is that Target (whom I work for) only allots x amounts of days (usually two to three months) for toy exclusives as they're usually given an end cap sales planner space. Once that time limit is up they go to clearance whether they've sold super well (like the G1 movie repaints) poorly (like the Target Constructicon sets) or in the middle (like the Classics two-pack). So, with Target exclusives you are likely to find some left over depending on how well they sold in your area.

Wal-Mart rarely clearances their exclusives. Heck, the two Wal-Marts near me as of three weeks ago still had Classics Devastator and Alts Rumble and Ravage. I thought about picking them up, but when I used a price scanner to check them out (they were on an end cap hanging out with all the clearance Cybertron and Classics that those Wal-Marts still have) they were still regular price. So, if they won't clearance two things mildly sought after and something hardly sought after... I seriously doubt they're going to clearance something as highly sought after as MP Screamer.

Also, something to think about that I've noticed is that a lot of parents seem to be picking up MP Screamer for themselves. I've noticed a lot of dads doing Christmas shopping ogling these guys with a little twinkle in their eye and than throwing it in the shopping cart. When I asked if it was for them or their kid they replied it was for themselves. And, I checked to see if they were collectors as well and they weren't. It seems to me that there's a large nostalgia factor with this figure and it's reasonable pricing compared to Prime seems to help it out (though Prime was bigger).

Another thing. I've seen a lot of people on this sight saying they're going to hold off on buying it (not in this thread though) until it gets super saturated like Masterpiece Prime. I hate to break some people's bubbles here, but MP Starscream will never be as 'super saturated' as Prime was. He's an exclusive for starters while Prime was released at every store. Just taking that into account alone makes his saturation dubious at best and than you factor in the part where Hasbro has most likely adjusted their production numbers based on how well Prime sold (which will probably underestimate the demand for Screamer) and you've got a figure that's easily flying off the shelves at retail and will probably go for a pretty penny on eBay this time next year.

16. Leemon

Leemon Yar, spare sum fuel mate?

News Credits:
    I'd say buy Starscream now. Along a similar train of thought, I think we'll be able to find the Death Star on clearance later.

17. Johnator

All very good points. Thanks Laser Optimus. He seems to be happy with his purchase and I have also referred him to this site as well so maybe that will help him with any future purchases. Now that all these points have been made I think it is definitely a do or die situation for this hot toy. I still can't find them anywhere since.

18. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I would grab him if I see him - IMO he shouldn't be a problem to ger rid of i,e sell if you need cash - depending on your asking price that is! XD

19. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm glad he is happy with it. It's definently a great item to have for any collector or just someone who's got that nostalgia thing going on right now because of the movie.

I finally found one for myself last weekend and he's one of my favorite purchases right now. Great figure... though I can't say that I'd have paid to import the original or Skywarp (the mold is cool, but not $100 worth of cool IMPO)... however, he's awesome for his state side price.

Also, if worse comes to worse, it shouldn't be too hard for him to get back what he paid for it (or more if need be) on this figure given how hard he is to track down for most people.

20. Ray Kremer

Ray Kremer Well-Known Member

I'm still trying to decide at what point I give up on finding it at a WalMart near me and crawl off to eBay.