Buying MP-05 - How Many?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Incepticon, Dec 31, 2006.

1. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    So what do you guys think... should those of us who like to have spare MISB copies of our favorite TF's buy 2 Masterpiece Megatron's outright, or just buy 1 and wait for a potential re-release that would possibly include a silencer & stock as well?

I held off on buying MP Starscream entirely since I'm pretty confident that a properly colored version will be released later along with Skywarp & Thundercracker repaints, but I'm really on the fence about MP Megatron since I can't really tell if a stock is even possible with the current mold design we keep seeing. I mean, there doesn't seem to be a place to even attach a stock. But considering we got a complete edition of MP Prime with a trailer in MP-04, it seems plausible that Takara would maybe want to do the same thing with MP Megatron.

It might sound like a silly question, but it's important where collectors are concerned. The plus side of buying 2 right away means we have a spare copy MISB. The down side is that if they release a more complete edition later, we then have an inferior spare copy that we would likely have to try re-selling at a lower price than we originally bought it for.

So I dunno. Advice?

2. darksage78

darksage78 Maximal

I'm going to try for 2 MP Megs, 1 to open and 1 to keep sealed. MPs are the only thing I get an extra of and keep in box. Exactly what I did for MP-01 Convoy. I skipped on Starscream too and forget about Ultra Magnus.

3. mblase

mblase Well-Known Member

You misspelled "obsessive fanboys" up there.

4. spyderbytez

spyderbytez ALTERNATOR FANATIC TFW2005 Supporter

I will get two.. maybe 3 for MISB. beside.. ill be getting a tax return soon :)  not to mention i will also get the autorooper and the rumble & ravage alts coming out soon.

5. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    I don't think buying multiple copies of high quality figures like Masterpiece's is anything remotely close to being obsessive fanboys, nor warrants a smartass remark.

You want to see obsessive fanboy behavior? Go look at any thread about Classics Devastator or Armada or Energon or RID or Beast Wars or Revoltech or WST or Beast Machines or Cybertron or the new movie toys and see what people fawn over because it has the name "Transformers" stuck on it. That's far more fanboy than old G1 fans wanting to buy multiples of properly done G1 figures in Masterpiece form 20+ years later.

6. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    1 is all I could pull off without threatening other TF purchases. Also, the stock and silencer wouldn't be enough for me to purchase it again. I do hope Tak Tom sells Convoy's Trailer by itself with an MP Roller though.

7. Fairy Princess

Fairy Princess Banned

Well if you'd think about it about 5 seconds longer you'd realize he's right and it did.

8. mblase

mblase Well-Known Member

It's funny, dude. Laugh.

I wasn't referring to your desire to buy multiple copies of the thing, anyway. I wasn't even referring to your question of whether there's going to be a stock attachment. It's the way you're hinging your entire purchasing volume on whether or not other people think Takara might re-release the toy with said attachment a year or two down the line that makes me roll my eyes.

For cryin' out loud, if you want two of them, buy two of them. If you don't, don't. If Takara releases a "more complete edition" and your "inferior spare copy" becomes just a hunk of plastic you have to "resell at a lower price", then you're not a collector; you're an investor.

Besides, real collectors would build their own stock attachments out of spare plastic and post photo galleries of them.

9. Red Dragon

Red Dragon Yin and Yang

I'm only getting one, that's all I really need and he shall lead my Decepticon Alternators.

10. Seeker

Seeker Time Lord

Ebay:
    I plan on buying only one. I don't have the resources for multiples.

11. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    I will be lucky enough just to get 1 that isn't modified.

12. Switchblade

Switchblade Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm going to buy one, open it, then toss the box in the recycling bin. I'm not going to pay another hundred bucks for something I don't need more than one of.

13. Corbet

Corbet Wanderer

I'm buying 2, one to hopefully keep MISB. I mean, I preorder early enough to get each ones for $20 cheaper then normal price so I'm saving so money.

I'll buy a stock/silencer if someone makes them like they did for USA 20th Prime.

14. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:

Amen.

15. Sideways

Sideways Banned

im buying ONE.(he will be out of the box) to stand next to my 20th Ann.Optimus Prime and my custom one, ShadowPrime..

16. Baltan

Baltan Space Ninja

Damn. What is with you, that causes you to need to carry such a narrow-minded view? Transformers as a whole is not simply G1, but 22 (23 now, almost) years worth of history and different interpretations, and each individual has his or her own reason for liking one specific aspect of it; they're not wrong or obsessive for having a difference in taste. The "G1 fan=true fan" nonsense is inappropriate and insulting, and I don't even like half the things you listed myself. This grudge, or whatever you'd rather call it, needs to be allowed to die. Seek intervention, live and let live, get yourself banned, doesn't matter how, just do it for all our sakes.

To the matter at hand, now?

Your first scenario - buying two means an extra Megatron MISB - and the other - a potential complete edition lowering the original's value - both imply emphasis on collectability. If your interest in Megatron was solely about the character or G1 done right or whatever, you'd be as likely to agonize over just one, because a single MP-05 could become as worthless in comparison to a potential "Complete Edition." You're already sold on getting Megatron now, no matter what. If you have a sound financial situation that you can purchase two MP-05s, just do it. Megatron is unlikely to drastically fall in value either way, at least not much more below retail and especially if it's not modified. The reason MP-01 became much cheaper with the arrival of MP-04 also had to do with the Hong Kong reissue, and some collectors are still willing to track it down, just not for its former astronomical secondary-market price. I don't see enough to warrant concern.

17. pinoy78

pinoy78 Shoji Kawamori having FUN

I only needed one Masterpiece Convoy.
    I only preordered one Masterpiece Megatron.

18. Such Heroic Nonsense

Such Heroic Nonsense No!

One, Dude.

19. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I pre-ordered one for now...if it lives up to expectations, I will buy another.

20. SharkyMcShark

SharkyMcShark Hi. I'm better than you

News Credits:
    *sigh* The only thing people who buy more than one are thinking of is $$$ down the line. In their minds (and in my mind) I can see 20 years from now on eBay (if it is still called that) "ZOMG MP 05 MEGATRON MISB NEVER OPENED HAX" being flogged for $200 or something ridiculous like that. ONE is all most fans need. You want to pose loose, pose it loose, you want to keep it in the box, keep it in the box. Just dont go hogging potential toys that other people could buy under the pretense of "wanting a few kept MISB"

:cool: