Buying high end collectibles

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mrhillz, Feb 23, 2011.

1. mrhillz

mrhillz Changed his user title. TFW2005 Supporter

So, I recently bought a 1/48 fully transformable Valkyrie from the Macross movie: Do you Remember Love . I won't go into detail on how much it cost, but it's made a few people I know raise an eyebrow. One of my friends actually said "That's money you could have saved for rent, etc." . Here's the thing- I don't buy this type of stuff that often, so it's not a big deal to me.

Sooo,, do anyone else get a slight ridicule for spending lots on plastic crack, high end or not? I'm not butthurt or anything or even trying to make a pity post over my own little affair, but I was just wondering if anyone else hears something the similar.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2011
  2. zealottoyou

zealottoyou Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As long as your spending is within a reasonable level compare to your income, it is absolutely none of your friends' business to tell you how to spend your money.

Every time my friend mock me on my toy purchase I always remind him he is the one paying 2k here and there every time buying watches.

3. Belgrath

Belgrath Boom! Nutshot!

My parents kinda diss me because I spend a smidge of my pay on DVDs and other irrelevant stuff (ex: having my bicycles fixed).

This.

4. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Well, how much was your Valk (ish) $100s? $1000s?

Personally the most expensive toy I've bought was my G1 Overlord, stuff like HT Black Widow (£130ish) MP9 Rodimus (£130ish) or Lego 8070 Supercar (£100 ish) while pricey, don't seem massively expensive.

Another expensive toy purchase was I 'think' $250 US for all 16 US release G1 tapes, but I individually sold 6 of those I already had so it didn't actually cost me that much.

I don't get ridiculed over these prices, I suppose it depends on where you are in life. I'm 32, don't drink, don't smoke and don't have a lot of overheads. So yeah, I can spend a little bit of money of toys.

But just in general, my new years resolutions is 'eat less, spend less, do more' and right now I'm doing all of that. Rodimus and the Supercar are pretty much the last big toy spends this year I think... the only things I've seen I might want are an Android Tablet and 3DS, and really? I'm either not going to get them for a while, or from HK where it'll be cheaper.

5. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    This is truly the only time I've ever been tempted on such excess:

[​IMG]

I saw it in a collectable shop in Sydney and frankly, its one of the most beautiful statues I've eve seen of anything anime.

It was worth about 700 bucks from memory.

6. mrhillz

mrhillz Changed his user title. TFW2005 Supporter

It was $120 shipped, which is a really good deal for one. Btw Gordon, what is that from? It looks pretty cool.

7. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    when i ever i talk about getting a complete Fort max i get looks from my family :lol 

8. rob_charb

rob_charb Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's actually a pretty decent price for a 1/48 VF. I paid about $140 US in store for mine when I picked up the VF-1S Roy version.

The most I've ever dropped on a collectible of any kind was $350 CAD on a PG Wing Zero Custom. When I found out the guy ripped me off, I never went back. So yeah, avoid Grand Central in downtown Oshawa at all costs.

Now, the most I'm willing to drop on a single figure is the cost of a Leader-class Transformer, roughly $80 US for us here in Taiwan.

9. Gen. Magnus

Gen. Magnus Meep

News Credits:
    It looks as if it is an Ah! My Goddess statue of Belldandy.

10. Counterpunch?

Counterpunch? Interior Renovator

Ebay:
    No, not really. Most people are amazed at my collection or are just interested in what I have because it's different.

And besides...I went to college for a reason: so I could afford crap like this.

11. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Food Truck or BMW Moderator

News Credits:
    The two bigger-ticket items I've picked up recently were via Sideshow, the Ms. Marvel and Black Cat premium format figures which ring up at $300+ shipped a piece. But it's not like I drop cash like that on a regular basis. Though, I get my fair share of double-takes for spending that kind of money on painted pieces of plastic. I live in SEC football country, so I just ask people how much they spent on tickets and we end up having a good laugh about it.

Everybody has their hobbies and vices. Buying toys and statues just happens to be mine.

12. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    You are correct General Magnus.

That statue is Belldandy and her Angel, Holy Bell. The statue was about 30cm or so tall. There was also one of Cutie Honey that was taller but equally well crafted.

13. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    Collectible shops tend to overcharge on things like that. If you look online you could maybe find it for a cheaper price.

14. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

My Dad look's at my collection and says "No more monsters".
    Then he goes out and buys another RC helicopter, so I go and buy another figure. :D 

15. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    No, I never hear anything like that. But then again, I consider my finances my own business, not my friends'.

16. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Nah, nobody gives me a hard time about my collection. Of course, I don't go around telling them how much it costs either:2c: 

17. Deceptikitty

Deceptikitty all about the hasubandos

I am a recent college graduate with loan debt and bills, I cannot afford high-end collectibles :(  even if I could the guilt would kill me.

18. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We Exist, and We DON'T Want to Date You

News Credits:
    Most of my collections are used and thus were very cheap...they just LOOK like I spent more, thus I get more grief from people who assume that I spend more than I actually do. I spend only about $30 on new TFs or DVDs every six months, and even then its a long-considered purchase.

Exceptions are things I've wanted for a VERY long time and IF I happen to have the money extra at the time - like the Mainframe Edition of the ReBoot set which will be on it's way to me next week. :D  Unfortunately that didn't come true for the G1 Matrix set, but oh well.

Of course if I had the income I had years ago, that Belldandy statue would have come home with me in an instant! (well, okay, after a couple months of payment! Or maybe 'five finger discount'...:lol  )

--Moony

19. Deceptijohn

Deceptijohn Metallikato Master

News Credits:
    Until the classics line all I bought were "high end collectibles". So to me $12 for a deluxe seems like nothing for a toy. It's interesting to read a story of someone crossing the price divide from the other side though. Can I ask you decided to go for the 1/48 over the more recent 1/60s?

20. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, I do get a few upraised eyebrows from my friends, but then I do the standard 'at least I can remember what I spend my cash on, unlike you guys who wake up the next morning with nothing to show for it apart from a slightly damaged liver and a headache.'

My family and my in-laws, on the other hand, are totally supportive. My dad went out and bought me a vintage G1 comic book, having never been in a comic book shop in his life, my father-law's reaction upon seeing my collection displayed in static poses was 'this is boring! Have them fight each other - like this!' and then proceeds to fiddle with them, but the best was my mother-in-law. Upon seeing my AT-AT, she gasps 'beautiful!' (sounds better in Spanish) and demands I show her all the features.

The best support comes from my wife, who not only encourages me to get the things that I want but also helps me keep this hobby balanced.