buying G1 parts...

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Dr. Prime, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Dr. Prime

Dr. Prime Dr. Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I do realize that when it comes to G1 everything is worth a little more, but I have a difficult time paying the prices that some people ask for parts/guns/etc. I mean, come on, $10 for a little plastic gun? Does anyone else feel this way and can we stop volunteering to pay this much for these?

Sorry, I know this is a bit of a rant, but I had to get it off my chest.

2. mweeuser

mweeuser Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    To be honest I guess I don't mind it. I mean sure I'd love to get a gen1 collection complete for free but part of the value I have for it is obviously shared by lots cause that's why the prices are what they are. Your little plastic gun discription implies the value of the actual materials and cost to make it. That hasn't been the sole factor for a very long time. Look and the cost of g1 scourges 2 guns versus say an optimus prime accessory. A gen1 scourge gun can go for as much as $20. There's rarity factors, popularity of character or toy, etc. I know the frustration cause I'm more of a fan than a collector so the value of it is a minor quality I like versus, cause I just want to have a toy that I saw in the catalog as a kid or cause it's a great character, or cause the toy rocks, whatever. But I guess I've seen the slow increase in values since I started increasing my collection as an adult over 10years ago and it is what it is.

3. Dom

Dom TFA Supporter

News Credits:
    $10 for some parts is ok, not everything is that price and most bits are cheaper. There will always be certain bits that will go for serious money, just the problem with collecting bots bit by bit.

4. RoboticPlanet

RoboticPlanet Exclusively Exclusive

News Credits:
    If I'm lucky, I'll get a deal in an eBay lot. Otherwise, I volunteer to pay these prices because if I don't others will, or more. Additionally, if you buy a complete figure you're also paying these prices for the parts. As trite as it sounds, it's simply supply and demand.

I guess it's a good thing you're not a stamp collector - $1000's of dollars spent for tiny pieces of paper. MADNESS!

5. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sorry, if you want to collect original G1, you have to pay the price. It's not cheap, but there's a reason - it's popular, often hard-to-find and very collectable.

I'm not sure what part you're referring to specifically for $10 - but some parts (e.g. parts of the big bases, headmasters, certain combiners etc) go for way more and are still considered a good deal!

If you decide it isn't worth that much to you personally, then fine, you may want to either collect incomplete G1, or one of the modern lines...

6. Erector

Erector I ruined the Hall of Fame

News Credits:
    Come back to me when you're trying to get Fort Max's arm ramps ;) 

7. Dr. Prime

Dr. Prime Dr. Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Like I said, I know it is a bit of a rant, and I know that some of them are rare and hold value. I just feel that while some are of high value, dealers are pricing ALL of the parts high to take advantage of people who just don't know their value.

8. T-Logicon

T-Logicon assembles the drones

no doubt. G1 collecting is a very expensive hobby. If a complete TF is important to you, then you will pay alot of money for parts. If not than you can always find G1 figures that are incomplete for alot less money.

9. limgrock

limgrock Banned

If you a loose figure is worth X and the complete figure is worth X+40 than the individual parts should sell for 40. Otherwise the seller is ripping himself off, as he'd be better off just buying the loose figure himself and selling it all as complete for X+40.

Also, as mentioned above, certain pieces are a lot more valuable than others. BlankMasters come to mind, especially heads. So do extremely tiny pieces. Here's a little story about the value of little plastic weapons. I had Nightbeat as a child and he was one of my favorites. As I grew out of Transformers I lost or gave away my Nightbeat. I kept the little guns that attach to his hood and helmet, as they interacted perfectly with Legos, for a long time after that. Sometime later I turned a stuffed T-Rex into a crude dino-rider with the help of some Lego's and poor Nightbeat's guns. After disassembling this monster one of the guns found its way back to my Lego box, one didn't. Fast forward much further into the future (2003) and I start collecting Transformers again. I buy two nightbeats off ebay, and end up with 2 bodies, 2 heads and a helmet. I sell the lesser of two, and keep the better one. I kept my legos, so one night I spill them all out on a blanket and find only ONE little gun. Dammit. I buy a bootleg Minerva off ebay hoping the guns will work. To my chagrin, they are remolded to fit like Siren's. For several years I amass other transformers and let Nightbeat go without, hoping that someday I'll just buy one misb when I finally graduate college, or see them cheap on ebay. Not content to pay $40 + shipping for 2 tiny guns, at the beginning of this month I finally bit the bullet and ordered a chinese reissue Nightbeat misb. It's going through customs right now in san fran, and has yet to arrive, but I'm still excited. For 2 little guns. And I still might order the reprolabels so his flame sticker is accurate. All told, I probably spent $180 on a complete Nightbeat, which isn't bad actually. But if I was happy without his little hat guns it would've been more like $30.

The moral of the story?
    1. It's a damn good thing I didn't own Fort Max as a kid.
    2. I heart reissues times a million (especially Predaking)
    3. Sometimes ten bucks for a little plastic gun is actually a steal.
    4. If its important to you, then it's worth it.
    5. If it's integral to the look of the character (i.e. nightbeat's head gear, Inferno and Wheeljack's wings,etc) it's worth it AND expensive.

10. evil ivotron

evil ivotron destroy'em all

Why not just look for a complete figure. So that you don't have to look for the weapon individually.

11. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    This reminds me of when I was recently going through my stored TF collection and I have all my G1 weapons and accessories in two large tins. I opened them up and immediately wondered to myself how much all these little bits of plastic would be worth now.

12. Dr. Prime

Dr. Prime Dr. Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I do look for and try to buy complete figures. I recently bought a lot that was fairly complete and I am very happy with it. I do not NEED to have all the parts but I thought I would try to get some that were more meaningful to me. When I look at the deals/offers, I just find it hard for myself to spend that much on some of them and I am not expecting to get them for free. It will just come down to what I am really interested at the time and I know that. I will just keep my eyes open.