Buying Fortress Maximus (maybe) - Have Questions

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Fuzz, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Fuzz

Fuzz Garbage Pail Kid TFW2005 Supporter

So I have an oppurtunity to buy Fortress Maximus from a local toy dealer for well under what eBay sellers are currently asking. He claims it's 100% complete. I'm meeting up with him on Sunday to look at it.

Is there anything I should look for that could possibly affect the price? Are there any internal/external parts that are prone to cracking/breaking? Are there any small parts that I could possibly overlook if they're missing? Has there ever been any KOs for this guy? Is there anything else I should know before I buy?

Thanks!

2. motorhead9999

motorhead9999 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think the only KO out there is of the Spike headmaster (smallest headmaster). I don't think there's any KOs out there of the rest of the parts.

3. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
  4. Grandum

Grandum Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    all the loose parts have been KO'd (first KO parts came right after the RID release) and it's quite difficult to tell which are genuine and which are KO at this point. you might find it documented somewhere, but I really wouldn't know where.

It's common that the clips on the parts that swing into his abdomen (tower in base mode) have broken off. From what I hear it doesn't affect him much though (mine are intact) as they can apparantly lock into place without them.

Another common flaw is for the radar dish to have broken off (the peg) and the elevator mechanism to be broken.

On Cerebros the part that reveals Fort maxes head might be loose.

Last thing I'd look out for is the yellowing. It can be treated and restored, but there are mixed reports on how this might make it more prone to yellowing in the future.

I think that was all. Good luck, and take my word for it - if you find a Fort Max at a pricepoint you feel comfortable with then you won't be disapointed. He really is a magnificent transformer.

5. Bob Schoonover

Bob Schoonover The Bob Bomber

News Credits:
    Behind the helicopter platform is a two-doored jail cell (or whatever). Check near the hinge of the inner door for stress marks

6. Fuzz

Thanks for the advice so far everyone. I'll definitely be using it. My 12yo and I are getting excited. I hope it's in great shape and we can finalize the deal without any haggling.

7. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Make sure to check the arm and hand panels for the flip-out guns.

Check that the elevator and launch button work.

Check the connection on the green door to the tower, make sure both nubs are intact.

Be mindful of sticker condition (reprolabels are available but expensive) and whitening.

8. ang3l3s

ang3l3s Sixshot

Check for the ramps, make sure they are ALL present!! Enjoy!!

9. LifePincher

LifePincher BBTS is the SOURCE!

Please keep us updated.......... Even if you don't buy it, take pictures and post them here please :) 

You have me curious on what condition it's in.
    I already have one that I bought about 4 years back and it's in pretty awesome shape and complete.

10. Tripredacus

Tripredacus K-Mart-ian Legend

News Credits:
    Is it that dude on Broadway?

11. Fuzz

No, this guy sells his stuff out at the Clarence Antique Mall.

12. Fuzz

I am now the proud owner of a Fotress Maximus! He was in really good shape. 100% complete. Nothing was broken, no stress marks, no yellowing, no rusty screws, and everything functions properly. He does have one small nick on the pink ramp near his head, but it's minor. Looks like a tooth mark.

Overall, I'm very happy with it. After a thorough cleaning and some new decals, he's going to look amazing. I'll be posting before and after pictures.

13. iDarkDesign

iDarkDesign Rodeo Lawyer

News Credits:
    Awesome! That's a great addition to any collection. Would you like to share the price? I am always interested in what the market does as opposed to ebay. A PM would be okay too if you don't want to share with the world that you have just spent $1000 on a toy :p 

have fun with it!

iDD

14. Fuzz

Actually, I only paid $800, which I feel is a really good price for 100% complete compared to eBay and convention prices. I will need to invest $50 on repro decals, but I'm still satisfied with the price overall.

15. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Sounds like a great piece, can't wait to see it.

16. Fuzz

Ok, here's some pre-cleaned up shots. As you can see, he's in awesome shape. Most of the decals are decent, but there are a few here and there that need replacing. The last image shows the damage on the pink ramp. Looks like a dog bit it or something. Not a huge deal, imo. I can always replace it down the road.

BTW, where do I put the satellite dish when he's in robot mode? Looks kind of lame on his chest. Do I just stick it in one of his compartments?

Attached Files:

17. alldarker

alldarker M.A.S.K. Crusader

News Credits:
    WOW, that's already a very fine looking FM, even pre-cleaned! Damage is negligable, I'd say! Looks to be bone-white, and fully complete, even with well-placed stickers. Very nice haul for a very fair price!

18. mrtbone81

mrtbone81 Bringer of Devastation

Ebay:
    Wow that is an awesome deal. Sweet find. Congrats! I am still waiting on this Holy Grail for my collection.

19. Fuzz

Thanks. I was actually surprised how white all the white plastic is. No yellow discoloration at all. I just wish he was cleaner. You can't really see it in the pictures, but there is funk in every little nook and cranny. It looks like he sat in a garage or attic for quite a long time. I'll probably be q-tip cleaning him for a few weeks.

20. Fuzz

Doh! Double post. Sorry.