Buying both Maketoys Giant and TFC Hercules

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Zambot, Aug 21, 2011.

1. Zambot

Zambot Pixarian Artobot

News Credits:
    Not that we need another thread but: I want to hear from folks who are buying both.

I'm planning on buying both versions of not-devy, but it seems that so many pour such emotion and animosity into slamming one over the other to convince themselves that they don't want one or the other.

Yes, either version might not appeal to someone based on their own personal tastes. But I see them both as offering something uniquely different and deserving of merit on my shelf.

Herc's solid almost Voyager sized figures are beautiful bots that will stand alone amazingly on my shelf and the combined form will be massive.

With Giant, we see a really seasoned designer, truly thinking about the line of action, stance/pose, proportions of the combined mode much more so than Herc, so Giant has a natural weight to him and is somewhat more aesthetically pleasing. We have yet to see the individual modes, but I have no reason to think that the person who put so much thought into the combined mode, would somehow create terrible individual bots. So many people are slamming Giants individual bots, using that as a basis to choose Herc. (from blurred photos I might add)

And then we have the money issue:

I understand for some it's a money issue, but Herc is spaced out over 11 months and most likely we won't see Giant hit for at least 6 months or more? Seems plenty of time to cobble together some cash. Also, as had been stated many times on the boards, how much would a custom Devy run you? A grand, maybe more? The price is also high for us Americans with the weak dollar and importing costs. If it were 80 bucks shipped how many people would still skip it, even with their gripes? I wonder. It's like buying a Henkei figure.

But maybe for many it's just a combination of both. If it were your dream toy with everything you ever wanted, you might be willing to pay almost any price? Within reason of course.

For me, they both are valid and incredibly well executed, yes I do like certain aspects of one over the other, but it doesn't invalidate the other as a result. I'm excited to have both! :D 

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
  2. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran

News Credits:
    I think they both look great and, if possible, I will be buying both.

3. Hellscream85

Hellscream85 Well-Known Member

Honestly I hadn't really taken much of a look at Giant, I've already started getting Hercules, do we have any info on the size comparison with Giant? I know that each of Herc's components is gonna be about 7 in. tall

4. Zambot

Zambot Pixarian Artobot

News Credits:
    Giant is in scale with FP Bruticus, so it will be shorter than Herc.

5. Hellscream85

Hellscream85 Well-Known Member

Ah, if I had managed to get the FP Bruticus then I might be more inclined to get the Maketoys version, however since I'm going mainly for an updated version of the entire season one roster I think a massive Devastator would simply rock

6. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like Hercules, but I'm going for Giant mostly because it scales and looks so good with Fansproject/ROTF Bruticus. I like the idea of all my combiners being roughly scouts and a deluxe, rather than a random one with voyagers. However, I would kinda like it if Maketoys released them one at a time like TFC is doing though to make it easier on the wallet instead of having to throw out a bunch of money at once.

7. BarBoBot

BarBoBot Well-Known Member

TFC has been around longer than maketoys. They would have the more seasoned designers.

And If your implying Maketoys Giant is a Fansproject product you wrong. Its not the same company, and technically TFC has been around longer than both.

On topic though, I am already commited to buying Hercules, and If Giant comes out late next year and is in the $450 price range I'll probably bite on that too.

Better to buy now at retail price than wait and regret the high aftermarket price if I passed on either of them. :2c: 

8. Zambot

Zambot Pixarian Artobot

News Credits:
    Well, Maketoys is not FP, but yes they are working with FP designers. Spoke with a TFSource rep at Botcon where they were displaying some Maketoys minibot grey proto's.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
  9. blur3479

blur3479 Movie Prime Apologist

News Credits:
    im just sticking with hercules giant looks as if hes got to much going on

10. Dr. Prime

Dr. Prime Dr. Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I am probably going to get both, in fact, if Fansproject made some constructicons to combine with the Classics Devy, I would probably get that too. Although, I am going to wait to see reviews on the Maketoys version first. I am picky with the third party stuff and I hadn't put my order in for Exgraver until I saw reviews that it was a solid toy. I am sure there will be some QC issues with Hercules when it is said and done, but hopefully they are minor and based on the customer service of TFC so far (offerring to replace the claw), I think it will be ok.

For me, its not whether one is better than the other, or scale, or whatever. I believe they will both have their merits when it is all said and done. :D 

11. Kuma Style

Kuma Style Toy Photography TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    I'm buying two of each, so I'm in it.

12. dkr7

dkr7 "Argh' Hexagonal Nuts!"

News Credits:
    while id like both Hercules fits my collection better, Giant is too similar to fp's style of product for me and im not a fan of theirs. I would love to get the MP sized one eventually if the designer decides to make it after these have both sold out.

13. Zambot

Zambot Pixarian Artobot

News Credits:
    That is EXACTLY how I feel on this issue! I mean jeez, these are good times for fans! I mean of course I would love things to be cheaper, but man Exgraver is solid as hell, really won me over when I held it in hand. The quality of plastic feels like a legitimate retail release, unlike many earlier 3rd party stuff including Fansproject. Until Thundershred of course. FP is now using high-grade plastic as well.

14. Weirdwolf

Weirdwolf TFYLP Podcast Founder TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    Tumblr:
    I'm only buying Hercules (*provided I don't have the cash when Giant comes out), having already gotten Exgraver, but it's a personal preference. I'd like to buy both but I just don't see the point in owning two 3rd party homages to the same character. If I'm going to go with one I'm going with the one that represents and updates him the best-the gigantic Hercules, IMO.

15. Zambot

Zambot Pixarian Artobot

News Credits:
    Big Willy style!! :p 

16. Zambot

Zambot Pixarian Artobot

News Credits:
    He's such a seminal character though and these sets are so different. In size and aesthetic. I don't see a reason NOT to own more than one homage to a character who everyone gushs over. How many customs have been done over the years? Haha.

I hear ya though. C'est La Vie.

17. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm committed to Hercules right now, and can't really make the call on the other one until more info (pics and pricing) comes out. There's a good chance I'll end up with both though.

18. Ultra BuckNutz

Ultra BuckNutz Sharkticon

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Devastator is probably the greatest toy - conceptually - in the history of mankind (for me, at least). I'm already in for Herc. Barring a major personal economic crisis or the MT version being total dog shit (the grey prototype looks sweet, so I doubt it), I'm in for both. (though probably just one of each).

19. BarBoBot

BarBoBot Well-Known Member

nope your still wrong.

TFW member Venksta (who is the man behind renderform) Has connections to many of the 3rd party companies and he said that FP let Maketoys showcase some of their stuff along side FP's, but are NOT involved in the designing.

Venksta's response on Cybertron.ca

I wont mind having both versions of the same character. If I like a character, I like having many different representations from throughout the past lines. I have Soundwaves ranging from G1 pre-rub to Movie soundwave, statues and anything else with his name on it. I can see lots of Devy fans going with both just to add to their collection.

20. Zambot

Zambot Pixarian Artobot

News Credits:
    This isn't a pissing contest. Thanks for the info.

Well, regardless, the designers at Maketoy are coming out of the gate incredibly strong. So, seasoned or not, they've got impeccable design taste and solid engineering prowess from the looks of Giant.