Buying an Xbox 360/PS3 and have questions

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by rob_charb, Mar 22, 2010.

1. rob_charb

rob_charb Well-Known Member

Hi all,

First, thanks for taking some time to help me out, if you can.

I'm planning on getting myself either an Xbox 360 or a PS3 in the next month or so, if all goes well. But, I have a few questions first, for those in the know.

I've seen some Xboxes on-line for very decent prices, but they're refurbished. What exactly does that mean? And does it mean I would run the risk of my nice new (to me) system crapping out on me very quickly?

I'm leaning more towards the 360, even though I far prefer Sony's quality, simply because of cost factors. Do they still have the problem with the red ring of death? Last question: Can you buy external HDs for the Arcade version? I have very little intention of playing on-line or downloading anything, so I'm not too fussed about the on-line stuff.

Again, thanks a bunch for any help.

Rob

2. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You may never play online, but having a Hard Drive is still integral to having a functioning system, in that you might buy a game you really like, but not be able to download extra episodes, or even patches to fix the game (though those might fit into the little memory card). Also, some of 360's best games (Shadow Complex) are only available online, so downloading them would require some space.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
  3. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    Do not buy a refurbished xbox 360, simply do not do it. Yes they may be cheaper but in the long run, a "fresh" out of the box Xbox should last you longer. The Red Rings of Death is still happening, its pretty much a flaw with the Xbox 360 but you are covered incase of RROD breakdown so don't let it be the reason that puts you off it.

All electronical devices with moving parts are prone to failure. Its just the way it is.

4. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Comic Ink - Dublin, CA

News Credits:
    Yeah, RROD is still an issue (I've even seen the COD systems hit with it!). They have also patched the system to not alllow any non Microsoft memory storage...so no external HD...Bill Gates wants you to believe a 60 gig HD is supposed to be $100 :p 

If you are going with 360...get a new one so you have a warranty.

5. rob_charb

Alrighty, thanks for the info. So would a PS3 be a better option then?

6. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Games, bro. Look at the games you enjoy. Regardless of how well the system works, you should be playing the games you enjoy on it.

Check out the ongoing "PS3/360 question thread. People list the exclusive games and system pros and cons.

7. Noizemaze

Noizemaze Ken

News Credits:
    If you buy a 360, get a new system. Either an Elite or something like the COD, FFXIII, or Splinter Cell editions. They cost a bit more up front, but are great values for the money.

Other than that, the determining factor should be games and not system specs. Look at the library for each and pick the one that has the exclusives you want most as multiplatform titles are nearly identical on both systems with a few exceptions.

8. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I would say yes for these reasons
    • :
    • Plays Blu-ray discs out of box
    • Free online gaming
    • PS HOME (if you're into that sort of thing)
    • Its priced pretty cheap now days with a hefty hard drive and possibly free game
    • No RROD issues

9. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:

Additional information:

1) Games are not put in and play, they need to be installed before beginning.
    2) The PS3 suffers from the Yellow Light of Death
    3) PS3 doesn't come bundled with a headset & is actually ill equipped to tackle the prospect of talking to friends while playing games.

Both consoles have their faults. Both are flawed. If you like video games, both are great for playing them :) 

10. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Worldwide news stories aren't written about the YLOD :D 

He doesn't play online so headsets aren't an issue.
    And some (not all) games require installs. GOW3 has no install for example. And while it's not required on 360, installing is one way to avoid RROD or simply burning out your system, so while not required, it's definitely recommended, and since some games sport multiple discs, you have to install for each disc like in ME2.

11. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    I never installed with multiple discs on my xbox 360. I didn't for ME2 nor FF13 and both play fine.

The only games you have to install the second disc are Forza 3 and Fallout 3: Game of year edition.

But my point still stands both are flawed, yet both are good for playing games :) 

12. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    All of my games are. Batman: Arkham Asylum, Uncharted 1 and 2, Prince of Persia 4, Tekken 6 and several others. Metal Gear Solid took awhile, sure, but it more than made up for it in cool CGI.

*If online gaming isn't your thing, MGS4 is your game! You won't want to leave your room for days or until you beat the game.

When was the last time this was news. Last I heard 360's failure rate was still 33% while PS3's was some where around 2%.

Who doesn't have a cell phone and blu-tooth these days?

Truth.

If you act on a PS3 now, you can get some really great games at bargin prices over at Amazon.com right now. Like Batman: Arkham Asylum for $29.99 (Gold Box) special price.

13. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Dude, ME2 ran awesome with install. I actually forgot to install Disc 2, and when I got to the last sequence (you know which one I'm talking about) I noticed it would hitch between cuts, and after the install it ran smooth as butter.

I really don't mind installs in cases like that.

You sounds like an infomecial, lol. For all we know, he doesn't like Batman :D 

14. Noizemaze

Noizemaze Ken

News Credits:
    You sir, speak blasphemy.

15. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Maybe he likes Moon Knight ;) 

16. ZeroMayhem

ZeroMayhem Henshin a Go-Go Baby!

This this a thousand times THIS!

First look at what systems have exclusives you want to play. Is it (for one example) Metal Gear Solid or is it Halo.

If you're still not certain (and how can you not be really, but whatever) then start looking at what differences exist between the two that would factor into your purchase (price, online, blue ray player, controller, etc.)

If you still don't know then save your cash until you have an opinion.

17. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    If this were two years ago I would say go with the Xbox -period.
    Now, Sony has made some great strides.
    There's lots of good games and quite a few exclusives.

Sony may not have the cheapest Blu-ray player anymore, but having a system that also plays Blu-ray movies is a big advantage, if you ask me.
    But if you don't have an HDTV, and don't plan on getting one soon the Blu-ray point is moot.

With all that being said, I think that the Xbox is the better gaming machine.
    Each month the top ten selling software pieces are normally dominated by Nintendo in first and second place, and then the majority of the rest are on the Xbox.
    Even multiplartform titles tend to sell better on the Xbox.
    As such, developers are typically creating their games for the Xbox 360 and then porting them over to the PS3.
    This is kind of sad because the PS3 does have more powerful hardware, but that advantage is rarely realized.
    Final Fantasy XIII is the only game I can think of that is multiplatform yet looks markedly superior on the Playstation.

If you really want to see what the PS3 can do visually, play Uncharted.

It's always news.
    Everyone that I know personally that has a PS3 has had it brick on them.
    Everyone.

Both consoles have their failure issues.
    It's a sad state of affairs and one that I hope does not continue to whatever hardware replaces this current generation.

You would be surprised.

[​IMG]

18. rob_charb

Thanks again for all the info. I wasn't aware that the PS2 has issues as well.

I'll probably just go with an Xbox. I'm not planning on switching over to Blu-Ray and HD anytime soon (if at all), so that's a moot point. The only exclusive title for the PS3 I'm interested in is GoW3 and I don't desperately need to play it.

And the whole reason for upgrading from my tried and true PS2 is Arkham Aslyum and War for Cybertron. :D 

19. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    But that's like saying that selling better automatically means better games, as if just because Bad Company selling more copies on the 360 determines how good the game is on one system and not the other. And it's also like saying that all of these WiiShovelware games that sell millions are better than 360's offerings just because they sell more copies. Last year PS3 exclusives took a bunch of awards home, and all the 360 games that won awards (even best game on 360, which went to Batman "A game that looks no better on one system than the other") ended up being multiplatform, which translates to, the best games last year are on the PS3, the best 360 games last year are also on the PS3, and the differences between them (with the exception of Bayonetta) are minor, especially compared to the differences between FF13 on PS3 and 360.

20. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I didn't mean to sound that way at all.
    I was trying to be platform agnostic, but point out the market as it stands and probably always will.

Developers always seem to go with the box that has the biggest numbers, and then develop for the others.
    it's kind of like last generation when the Cube and Xbox were both more competent machines, but it was seldom seen because games just weren't developed by core teams for each system, but they were ports from the inferior system that had the largest user base.

Even a simple feature like custom soundtracks on the original Xbox was almost never supported because developers just did not want to focus resources on it.

I hope I was clear that Uncharted and Final Fantasy XIII show what the PS3 is capable of visually, better than, say, Borderlands which is a port and not really optimized for the PS3.
    Better selling does not mean better games.

To be fair, the failure rate on the Xbox is much higher than the PS3.
    My example of PS3 failure is probably not statistically accurate.
    I should have mentioned that I have had three Xboxes get the RROD.
    Microsoft fixed them each time, but I was one sided in my report.

I am just more or less pissed that this generation of hardware has had so many issues.
    Xbox's red death, Playstation's yellow death, I even know some people who have had the sensor bars go out on their Wiis or have the Gyrometers on the Wiimotes stop working.

Prior generations of hardware were not so prone to defects and I want it to stop.

Also, whichever system you choose, I would take the plunge into HDTV.
    Take the plunge and never look back.