Buying an MP3 Player

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rewind, Dec 27, 2007.

1. Rewind

Rewind Be Kind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    First of all, I know there have been several threads like this, so I'm sorry for the redundancy. Secondly, the opinions that I would like to hear most are from people like me who don't typically have 'brand loyalty' and are open to any and all kinds of things without being blinded by an affinity for a particular brand. So if you're someone who thinks iPods (for example) are the bees knees and everything else is crap, I don't want to hear about it because that's not an honest, fair or informed critique.

Okay, after my iPod crapped out on me, I find myself in the market for a new MP3 player. I'm currently using a Creative Labs MuVo 512mb player that I've had for almost 4 years now. It still works perfectly but I'd like something with a much larger storage capacity. The iPod I had was the latest Nano, and it held 4Gb which seemed about right for my needs, although more is always welcome.

The two main players I'm considering are the Creative Labs Zen and the Microsoft Zune. The Zune has more features than I really need or want (as did the iPod), but it seems like a reliable player.

Although I like and trust Apple products, I found that the iPod did not offer the freedom that I want with my files. What freedom is that? Drag and drop. I want a player that I can plug into the USB, open it like a folder and drag n' drop whatever MP3 files and folders I want. I dont want the player to rearrange things, to categorize things, to identify things, to identify genres or any of that. I KNOW what I'm listening to, all I need is it to play the music for me in the order I have chosen. If I have a mix folder that I made and can listen to on the computer, I want to be able to put that folder onto a portable player and listen to it the same way.

Currently my MuVo does EXACTLY what I want a player to do. The problem is that the memory is just not big enough (it was all I could afford at the time), and I don't trust it to live much longer (it's modern electronics so it seems a small miracle that it's lived for 4 years already).

Any suggestions? Anyone have a player that meets those specifications?

Does such a player exist anymore?

2. cannabisprime

cannabisprime Well-Known Member

I've bought and returned a 4GB Creative Labs Zen a few months ago; the only (big) gripe I had about it was you couldn't just drag & drop video files into (they had to be converted first). Other than that though, it was a pretty handy player; it was an MP3 & video player, had an FM tuner, voice recording, a 2.5" display and cheaper than its Apple Nano counterpart.

3. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I enjoy my 4GB nano, but that's only because I have a program that makes it drag-and-drop capable and does away with the shitacular iTunes.

4. Rewind

News Credits:
    That's intriguing. Are you using it on a PC or an Apple? I ask because I plan to get an Apple within the next month or two.

5. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    PC. I can't remember the program name right now, or if they made a mac version.

There are a few programs that can do this, I would be surprised if there wasn't a mac version out there somewhere.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2007
  6. BMGFX

BMGFX Awesome Spooner Veteran

I got the brown 30gb zune for $99 bucks and I couldn't be happier with it. It's great.

7. Rewind

News Credits:
    Good to hear, but is it a drag-and-drop unit? Also, $99 is much less than regular retail for it, isn't it?