Customs: Buying an Airbrush: What should i look for?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by wildfly, Aug 13, 2009.

1. wildfly

wildfly Lasers, 8 O'Clock, Day 1.

News Credits:
    I've decided to buy an Airbrush, but really haven't a clue if i should be looking for any particular 'make' or spending a minimum amount?

There appears to be no shortage of low cost Airbrushes around, but i'm wondering if any of them are any good?

In fact, i really don't know anything about Airbrushes, other than i think i need one.

Can anyone offer any advice?

Thanks.

2. JazzEd

JazzEd Truckasaurus!

Ya know, I bought a cheap one a Micheals. I think the brand is Bagdes. It's the kind that requires a compressed air can. Costed about 15 bucks. And it does the job--and that's it. It will cover an area about an inch at it's thinnest point. So no panel line work.

3. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

Expect to pay $100 or more for a nice one, unless you find an auction that sells them cheap. You get what you pay for.

I got an Iwata HP-CS and I love it, its dual action, and high quality. If you are wanting to do detail work, you have to have a dual action. Dual action means it controls the paint flow as well as air flow. Single action only just turns on and you can't control the flow of paint, the most you could do is lower the pressure.

You are also going to want it to be gravity fed if you are doing detail work. Gravity fed required less pressure allowing you to do finer details. Siphon action required higher pressure to draw the paint out of the cup.

The HP-CS has worked well for me, I think some others on the board on Iwatas and I have not heard any complaints. You can get nicer ones than the HP-CS, but I think its a nice airbrush that won't bust the bank.

You're going to need an air compressor and a regulator with a filter as well. I already had an air compressor, one of the craftsman pancake sytles, so I just had to get a better regulator. Its loud, but gets the job done. You can get specialized air brush compressors, but that is more money. I tried the airbrush propellant cans before and have not had much luck with them, mainly because of the drop in pressure. That whole PV=nRT thing is a bummer.

4. robvega214

robvega214 Mp5_Brut

im workin with a pasche....thats about ...12 yrs old.......double action......and holds the reservoir cup on the side and the bottles on the bottom.......spent about a 100 bux back then on it.....im sure its a lil less now...
    if u want practice u can start with a single action...
    its always nice to have 2 or more airbrushes in ur arsenal....
    i use a 2gallon campell/housfel compressor....its about the same age as the air brush i think.....dogs got a hold of it...so its a lil beat up ...the regulator works fine...n u Need that.
    just the other day i picked up a airbrush compressor...at a local computer/electronics mini fleamarket ......bargained it down to 40 bux.......not bad
    i used to use these piston-aired compressors back in the day

5. MATTICUS PRIME

MATTICUS PRIME chicks love me!

Item Detail

This is what you want.
    There are some very nice compressors that dont cost an arm and leg at Harbor Freight.

6. encline

encline customizer of love TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Iwata eclipse. but what do I know?

I am just a custom painter/instructor for DuPont:) 

HAHA. So it all depends on what you paint you want to use and what you want to do it.

7. rebornee

rebornee Well-Known Member

have been airbrushing over 20 years best all around brush is the peak c5 95 dollars from bear air. have brushes from 50 to 500 and it is not the best but for the cost it is a work horse.
    Rebornee