Buying a New Truck...need advice.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Thundercracker, Aug 17, 2007.

1. Thundercracker

Thundercracker Contemptuous

Or reassurance. I typically do not buy new cars, but I can afford it and dammit for once in my life I'd like something new..

Anyway, I've driven the Toyota, Nissan, and GMC and was pretty surprised that the GMC Canyon felt better to drive and rode smoother than the other two models. I checked the Consumer Reports on it and it got pretty high marks with them as well.

Now here's the deal. The dealership has an 06 model that is brand new on the lot. They are offering it to me for 300 dollars over invoice at 0 percent interest for 60 months. Sounds like a great deal, but I'm wondering if it being almost 2 years old now, I should try and get it for even less than the invoice price. After all, even with zero miles it has devalued. I understand these guys need to make some money, but I also want to make sure I'm getting the best price I can get..

2. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I know who you should ask. He'll be here shortly I reckon.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2007
  3. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    Who me???

Well, I'm a BIT biased towards Honda and Toyota products as I've owned both. I had a 2003 Tundra that never gave me a problem and was mainly in the shop for regular service. My Honda Ridgeline, in it's second model year (2007) has given me a few problems but no major mechanical issues.

Generally what I suggest doing when looking at a specific vehicle is to do all of your vehicle research before searching on pricing information. The GMC Canyon/Chevrolet Colorado are not BAD trucks, but the 4 cylinder engine is a bit underpowered and the odd 5 cylinder has some "issues" that I've heard of second hand. Some of them have been engine issues, such as leaking gaskets, and similar problems. I'd seriously look at some of the other trucks just to make sure you get exactly what you want.

I'd do some searches for either the Colorado/Canyon (same truck, Chevy versus GMC, really) and see what you think. It sounds like you can get a good deal, but is really the best deal for you? As for the invoice price, being a 2006, I'd look up the KBB (Kelly Blue Book) MSRP price for it and see how it matches up. SOME dealers mark up invoice so they can upsell their vehicles to customers. Be careful.

If you're on a budget as it sounds, check out the Toyota Tacoma, Nissan Frontier, Ford Ranger (which is the roughest riding truck of the bunch, trust me), or some of the other mid sized trucks. If you don't want or need a truck, the Jeep Wrangler is a good vehicle and has pretty good reliability too. I'd avoid the Dodge Dakota/Mitsubishi Raider (same truck) like the plague as it has horrible reliability ratings. If you want 4WD though, expect that to add about 2,000 to 5,000 to the price of any of the trucks.

Going up to a full size truck will cost you, unless you get a low trim level, which means you may sacrifice features you may want or like such as a more powerful engine or better transmission. If a full size truck is in the budget, check out the Nissan Titan (they've FINALLY fixed the tranny and brake issues), Ford F-150, Chevrolet Silverado/GMC Sierra(?), or even the Tundra. The Tundra and Chevrolet, being the latest and greatest redesigns, are going to be expensive even with the new 2008s coming out at years end. I test drove a pretty well equipped 2007 Tundra Regular cab. Damn fast truck, decent ride, and good comfort. But, they wanted about 38,000 for it! DAMN! But, it had the new 5.7L V8 and the six speed transmission. The prices are down a bit now and there are incentives and discounts for both the Chevrolet and the Tundra.

But, if you REALLY want something different look at a 2007 Honda Ridgeline RT or RTX. The RTX comes with a trailer hitch and connections, ready to tow 5000 pounds. You can get one, if you price it right, for about 23,000 to 26,000 TOPS from some of the deals I've heard about. If it is a vehicle that interests you (I love mine, despite a FEW gripes), do some internet pricing and come check out www.ridgelineownersclub.com where I'm also a member. Look for X-Brawn on that site, and you'll find me, always willing to help out!

4. Sy-Rein

Sy-Rein Rogue Stunticon

News Credits:
    What are we talking about here with this '06 Canyon? Reg, Ext, Crew Cab? 2wd, 4x4? 4cyl, 5cyl? Standard, Auto?

Really I think the best combo on these trucks is either Reg or Ext. Cab, 4x4, 5cyl, standard. If it was an '07, I think thats the year they got the bump in engine size and hp, but the 5cyl went auto only.

Hard to say weither the deal is good or not without more details, but the Canyons are good trucks. Toyotas are probably top of the market in reliability but also in price. Honda's ... uh well .. they're versatile but I still have a problem saying Honda has a truck as much as the Ridgeline seems to be a good vehicle in and of itself but as a truck I just cant justify it (my personal opinion, not meant to offend anyone).

5. My03Tundra

Ebay:
    No offense taken. I consider mine a SUT, then an all-out truck. It IS more SUV/car like more then it is truck. I consider the bed, and in-bed-trunk, extra perks!

Based on vehicle alone, and not trim levels, I'd assume it is the mid to high-end 2WD 5 cyl auto, right? Or, maybe not if it has been on the lot for that LONG.

As for Toyota and Honda being high priced, um, yeah. They are. But, if you shop at the right time (like now with model year-end clearance) you are more likely to get a better deal. Toyota's attitude about their quality has gone to their head, while their quality has slipped some. I'v read of a few personal accounts of the new six speed transmission going OUT in the new 5.7L V8 engine. They had the SAME problem with the 4.7L engine when it first came out with the original Tundra.

Mazda has the B series trucks. which are just Ford Rangers, and they are decently priced trucks too.

6. Sy-Rein

Sy-Rein Rogue Stunticon

News Credits:
    I do like that in-bed trunk idea (although might be hard to access at times if too much stuff is in the bed itself)

7. My03Tundra

Ebay:
    Well, I haven't had THAT problem yet but the spare is in that in-bed trunk area. The general recommendation is to remove it (and the tools) before hand, and if possible put it on the bedside (where it can ALSO be stored) or maybe on top of your load as a weight(?).

8. ShortCircuit

ShortCircuit Decepticon

Top 10 Pickups
    Sales Figures
    Year-to-Date (YTD) July 2007

Ford F-Series
    411,926 -12.2% YTD
    July 2007: 56,488
    July 2006: 68,982

Chevrolet Silverado
    357,893 -6.7% YTD
    July 2007: 46,997
    July 2006: 66,583

Dodge Ram
    214,569 -1.0% YTD
    July 2007: 29,312
    July 2006: 32,793

GMC Sierra
    115,185 -7.5% YTD
    July 2007: 15,892
    July 2006: 22,947

Toyota Tacoma
    106,425 +4.6% YTD
    July 2007: 13,963
    July 2006: 15,339

Toyota Tundra
    105,990 +55.6% YTD <Holy MACKEREL.
    July 2007: 23,150
    July 2006: 10,285

Ford Ranger
    48,632 -14.9% YTD
    July 2007: 5,662
    July 2006: 8,014

Chevrolet Colorado
    46,965 -15.4% YTD
    July 2007: 5,754
    July 2006: 10,149

Nissan Frontier
    39,379 -18.5% YTD
    July 2007: 5,331
    July 2006: 6,822

Nissan Titan
    38,781 -13.4% YTD
    July 2007: 5,708
    July 2006: 5,691

9. My03Tundra

Ebay:
    Not surprising. Ford needs to bow down and let someone else have the #1 spot. That COULD potentially happen if they have to go bankrupt as in the out-of-business bankrupt. The F series is keeping them barely in the black from some reports I've read.

10. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Can I suggest not buying a truck?

11. Thundercracker

llamatron, having a truck is pretty much a requirement in my house due to all the work around the yard I'm always doing.

The truck I'm looking at is the 06 Canyon Crew Cab 5 cylinder 242 HP model. Its a 4X4 (which I think is a totally usless option for 98% of the population) but its whats already on there so I'd have to take it. It's pretty well loaded up with leather seats and what not. After a night of sleep I'm sort of on the fence about it. I think its a good deal, but something in me finds having a car payment repulsive.

Also concerning the Tundra, and Titan. As soon as I told the folks at Toyota I was interested in a Tacoma, they directed me over to the Tundra that while it was a very nice truck, and drove suberb it was GINORMOUS and my 5'4" wife almost needed a latter to get in it. Forget even trying to get her to park it. The Tacoma was too bouncy when we drove it. The Nissan's had great HP ratings but fell pretty short when it came to fuel mileage.

12. NotFastEnuff

NotFastEnuff I'm a smartass...

Ebay:
    I'm not much of a small truck person, so I'm not gonna make a recommendation there, but as far as the "$300 over invoice" comment, which invoice. Dealers usually get 3 invoices. The one that no one sees which is what they actually pay for it, the one they show employees and the folks that get them at employee cost, and the one that I'm sure they are showing you. Do you have anyone that gets a GM discount? If so, have them go look at the truck and get a price. You might be surprised. I've worked in 2 stealerships, and I've seen them stick their own employees with the multiple invoices. What is the price? I know in '03 I was looking at about the same truck you are but in a 2wd version, and I had a GM supplier discount at the time. It stickered for around $25k and my price was $23k, then a year later, I saw the same truck on "sale" for $21k.

I'm just saying, as did my03tundra, do your home work. Research it to death. Make sure you're getting the deal that you think you are. I don't know where you live, but try to check with a higher volume/larger dealer also. The more units a dealer moves, the more leway they will have to make you a better deal.

My choice in a new truck, it better be a diesel.

13. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have a 2002 Toyota Tundra Limited and it's a fantastic vehicle. No major issues in the six years I've had it, and it runs like a dream.

Problem is, with trucks getting weirder and less truck-y looking (and just flat out bizarre in some cases, like the Ridgeline), I'm not sure where I'll go when it's time for a new one. There's nothing out there that looks as good as the older Tundras to me.

14. Thundercracker

15. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    Useless advice: Buy a Topkick Ironhide edition.

16. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I'd love to have my '71 GMC back, the one I got for high school graduation. She was in GREAT shape too, but I just HAD to have that Camaro! :lol 

17. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    Was it Satan's Camaro?

18. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    Or a bitchin' camaro?

To the original poster. If you are set on the truck you mentioned in your original post grind them down on that price. An 06 with no miles is nice, but 08s will be out soon. I can also tell you I work in car sales and they are way down this year. Dealers are desparate to sell. If you have to make you demand and to the "walk out" they may wait a day but they will call you back with a better offer. Trust me. :) 

19. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I have an '01 Nissan Frontier. Got a great deal on it (it was a repo), and it is absolutely fantastic. It's the most basic model possible, which is what I personally prefer, and I have 100K miles on it without a single issue. Oil changes three times a year is the only maintenance it has received.

I wouldn't drive anything made by an American manufacturer, personally. But that's a bias on my part. And to be fair, if I had to, it'd be a Big Three truck.

Far as the OP's question, I don't think that $300 over invoice is a bad deal. I understand what you're saying about the devaluation, but practically speaking, it hasn't really. You're still getting a new truck, with the bonus that it's a model that has two years of history in the marketplace, plenty of time for major issues to have shown up.

But I wouldn't let them get a single dollar more in with 'secure etching' or 'miscellaneous' charges. And I'd finance with someone besides the dealer.

EDIT: pscoop's got some background. I'd scratch my advice and listen to him.

20. Thundercracker

The dealer is offering 0% financing for up to 72 months.