Buying a new camera... HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Dropshot, May 1, 2008.

1. Dropshot

Dropshot Transform your destiny

News Credits:
    I'm buying a new camera since the las pics I took with my current camera turned out to be pathetic, and I've seen so many good photos at this site, so I'm asking to all experts out there to buy a good model.

My priority are the photos with low light conditions, and since I don't know nothing I don't know what I should look in a model (maybe that ISO speed or a bigger lens).

I'd like to be able to take pics in very low light conditions, (as many pics in the cool stuff thread), and please, I cannot afford anything over $450. So, any ideas?

2. RoboticPlanet

RoboticPlanet Exclusively Exclusive

News Credits:
  3. Dropshot

News Credits:
    Thanks for the link, but should I be looking for high ISO speeds or lower speeds? I saw a cybershot with an ISO speed of 3200, will that do any good for my purposes? Or should I look for other characteristics?

4. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    Go with this one. It has so many useful settings that you'll rarely use. My fiancee has this Kodak v-570 and it is unbelievably great for the price and for the great quality pictures that it takes. You can also do video (with sound) with this bad boy! Click on "Specifications" to see all the stuff it has to offer. There are literally TONS of options ranging from still shots to moving shots, from low light to bright, panoramic shots, insanely up-close shots, far off shots, etc.

Kodak v570

and here's a link to it on the site that macabremouse posted a link to:

Kodak v570 review on dpreview.com

5. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Old

To get good shots, get a camera that you can manually set the shutter speed and aperture. Also, get a tripod. Good lighting helps to. You can get cheap lights at hardware stores.

Most of the good shots on this site are taken with long exposures, you cannot really hold a camera for long exposures. A tripod is the key.

6. DilaZirK

DilaZirK Is bullheaded.

News Credits:
    I've not much experience with low-light shots, but going by what everyone says: long exposure and a tripod are essential. Be warned that not all digicams have the option to adjust the exposure settings. (Or at least, my current one doesn't)

As for ISO speeds, well, see for yourself:

Shot at ISO 100:
    [​IMG]

Shot at ISO 3200:
    [​IMG]

If you want good looking dark shots, a super high ISO speed isn't going to help much, that's for sure.

And as far as cameras go, despite being an employee of Sony, I wouldn't wholly recommend Cybershots as far as image processing goes. Canon cameras are a safer bet.

7. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Old

Yeah, don't buy a Sony or Kodak. Stick with Nikon, or Canon. Maybe Fuji..Olympus cameras are quite good too.

8. Dropshot

News Credits:
    Thanks a lot for the insomniac posters! Believe me, you are saving my life!

I also read a review on the the camera which helped a lot.

I now have an idea that the camera must have wide exposure range, low noise at high ISO speeds, and maybe a good macro, manual controls seems to be essential.

I'll try to go for Nikon or Canon as both of you say, now, something more tangible, any model recomendations for that price range? (which I'm changing to $300, since taxes over here raise the price a lot).

9. hXcpunk23

Ebay:
    I'll have to disagree on this one, since I use that Kodak v570 and it works great. To each his own, though.

10. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Old

I have a Nikon D50. Pretty cheap, and a great camera! Maybe look for the older model on EBAY. Nikon D70. That was a pretty good camera.

I used to sell cameras for a living. I never liked how the cheap Canon SLRs' felt.

You want an SLR, trust me. Don't buy a point and shoot.

11. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Old

Canon and Nikon have been making high quality cameras for more than 50 years. I cannot say the same thing about Kodak or Sony.

12. hXcpunk23

Ebay:
    And Ford has been making Automobiles for over a century. They still put out vehicles that aren't built 100% safe. So what's your point?

I gave an opinion based on the fact that I OWN the camera and use it religiously. It is MUCH better than you might think, but again, what do I know. I'm not an ex-camera salesman. I'm a longtime camera/digital camera user. Yeah, Kodak and Sony completely suck. I guess that's why they still put out product that is still purchased by consumers.

Nikon and Canon may have some great products (don't get me wrong), but to say that Kodak and Sony cameras are all crap, is ridiculous. A lot of it depends on the settings and lighting, NOT the individual camera. For example, my sister owns an $800+ Nikon digital camera and I still take better pictures (and video) than she does with her Nikon. Some people just have no idea what the hell they're doing with cameras, so they leave them on the regular settings or set them completely off of what they should be set on.

I'm not trying to argue this, but I'm just sharing an opinion on it. Call me crazy, but I've had no problems taking pictures of family or toys for that matter. It does its job and I certainly don't need to justify some huge purchase (Nikon or Canon) simply to take some pictures. I'm not a professional photographer and the quality is more than enough for my needs.

btw: I used to work in a Florida State Park back in '93.......does that make me an expert on rangers, campers, or wildlife? I think not.

13. DilaZirK

DilaZirK Is bullheaded.

News Credits:
    Not everyone is willing to spend that kind of money though.

As for the whole camera manufacturers thing, before things gets out of hand, I definitely didn't mean to imply that other manufacturers besides Canon and Nikon aren't good, as I'm very satisfied with the Sony Cybershot that I currently own.

All I'm saying is that for those aren't sure which to pick, since there are so many good camera manufacturers out there, Canon and Nikon stand out slightly more, according to statistics and majority opinion. (Although that is still debatable)

I'm sorry if I've rubbed anyone the wrong way.

14. RoboticPlanet

RoboticPlanet Exclusively Exclusive

News Credits:
    Based on your price range, I suggest at least looking into the Canon Powershot SD1100, which goes for around $300. I bought the SD1000, the previous model in the same camera line, around christmas. My only complaints stem from my refusal to pull out the manual when I can't intuitively figure out all the options. :) 

I'm not trying to fuel the little flamewar above, but the few pro photographers I know all recommended Canon to me for point & shoot and SLR (when I was thinking of getting one), except one guy who's a Nikon fan. The latter are apparently nice for their SLR lens backward compatibility, among other things.

15. Otispq

Otispq Elocution Onymous

News Credits:
    Can't go wrong with a Canon, my Uncle is a professional artist and he won't use anything but Canon nowadays, but I have a Kodak that I love and a Sony that I don't. My Sony is super tiny and drops into the pocket so it goes anywhere, but the Kodak is what I pack with me when I know I'm gonna want to take pics for posterity and the like. I'd say take a memory stick with you into the store and slide it into several cameras and take shots of the same part of the store and then look at them on a computer, as the camera screens are almost always incorrect in displaying the real photo. After the comparison you get what you think did the best job.

16. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Personally I'd say go with a Canon.

17. Red04Cobra

Red04Cobra Well-Known Member

Olympus owner here. I like anything that has a large lense.

18. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

i've got a canon s3is. i think the current model is a s5is. i'd recommend that. pretty much the best you can get before heading into SLR territory.

19. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

Go to Halifax, beat Wheeljaxx silly with a sock full of nickles, and steal his new camera.

Because lets face it, no one is going to take you seriously with a sock full of pennies.

20. Dropshot

News Credits:
    :lol  yeah, I agree, he has the best camera around, totally amazing.

Well, thanks to everyone who helped me with this purchase, I ended up getting a Canon Powershot A650 which I totally love, it is just what I expected. I'll try to post regulary some pictures taken with it on the cool stuff threads.