Buying a Gundam

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Ace Convoy, Apr 9, 2010.

1. Ace Convoy

Ace Convoy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  2. delta7890

delta7890 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You may want to consider the Master Grade Blue Frame instead of the 1/100. They are the same size (about 7-8 inches tall), but the MG is more complex, more articulated, and much more detailed. It is however more expensive.

http://dalong.net/review/mg/m124/p/m124_176.jpg

Here's a comparison shot, with the old 1/100 on the left, and the new Master Grade on the right.

3. Ace Convoy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I can't view the pic

well although the MG is pretty detailed the $50.00 price tags doesn't appeal to me

I'm going to start out with the cheaper NG's and see where it goes from there

4. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Now the thing is, if the choice is down to Blue Frame, the 1/100 NG is just plain unstable. It's just not equipped to deal with the extra weight of the sword/backpack, so it constantly falls over. Parts collide with each other and pop off, and it's otherwise just a frustrating mess unless you're willing to do some work on it.

A lot more of those considerations were taken into effect for Blue Frame's MG version, so it's a lot more stable out-of-box.

As for loading the pic, drag and drop. Dalong.net doesn't like direct linking.

5. Ace Convoy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  6. rob_charb

rob_charb Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The Red Frame is a great kit. I got it when it first came out, and for a non-MG kit, it's surprisingly well done. There will be some areas that need painting though, as the stickers suck and don't cover all the areas that need colour.

7. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    head to dalong.net to get a good look at the kits you're interested in.

8. Squee

Squee Well-Known Member

If it's your first kit, don't get a master grade. You'll enjoy a MG much more after you get comfortable building.

9. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    Red Frame is a much better kit as an NG, as that's the kit the body was designed for. Very posable and stable, with no heavy weapons to worry about. It does a few things that the MG doesn't do, as well, so no worries about feeling entirely outclassed. With the kit designed before its pilot went nuts with the modifications in the manga, it's got the trim and basic Astray body type, complete with weapons and backpack, that the MG doesn't have.

Gold Frame Amatsu is also a beauty. Despite the large backpack, it doesn't have any problems posing and standing. It uses stiffer polycaps than usual, so its joints are very tight, and the denser gloss-black plastic gives it more weight and a more solid feel, so it has none of the problems associated with the NG Blue Frame. However, the chrome plating puts the thing into MG price range, so that's out.

10. Ace Convoy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  11. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    GAH. the amazon user photos for the exia, that's an awful paintjob. painted the GN condenser, but nothing else that should have been painted instead of that, like the cheeks. what the hell.

12. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    1/100 Exia is a very good kit, although I've had a few issues with its hip joints splitting apart on themselves. Nothing a tiny dab of glue can't fix.

Although, due to sales going on right now, the Master Grade Exia can actually be found for pretty cheap right now, around $30 + shipping, so probably around $40.

Here
    Or the deluxe version here

13. Ace Convoy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The NG 1/100 Freedom Gundam from seed is also getting my Favor how stable is that one ?

btw do I have to paint these or do they come somewhat painted

14. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    NG Freedom is terrible. Don't actually own that one, as a result. Proportions are off, with a weirdly elongated face, stumpy legs, tiny wings, and it can't use its back cannons with the wings spread, despite the fact that it does it all the time in the anime.

The best 1/100 SEED/Destiny models, IMO, are the Red Frame Astray, Gold Frame Amatsu, Buster Gundam, Saviour Gundam, and Legend Gundam. Akatsuki's great, but well out of your price range because of it being 70% chromed. Aegis is an interesting piece of engineering, if you don't mind doing some work, as it's a bit floppy.

15. Ace Convoy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  16. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    Without comparison, it looks passable.

But if you've seen the anime (though you probably haven't), you'd just be disappointed by the things it can't do.

Compare to this.

Going back to the the Blue Frame, in retrospect, I wouldn't recommend the MG to a beginner anyways. It's actually probably one of the most difficult kits I've handled. Well, assembly itself is still easy as pie. But the kit has a quite high percentage of tiny parts, and a good portion of it is undergated, which makes it very difficult to trim the flash off of parts. So I'd save the MG Astrays for when you're more experienced, anyways.

17. cheetorBWORG

cheetorBWORG Cheetor Fan

News Credits:
    Even if you haven't built a gunpla before, save up for an MG. It's worth it in the end.

18. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, I agree. The MG kits are really not difficult to built. All you need are:

i) a good set of cutters
    ii) sand paper to file smooth the nub marks (optional)
    iii) Gundam marker (optional)

I read somewhere that the MG kit was designed (by Bandai) for Gundam fans who can't paint but like model kits for the designs and articulation. That's why the color separation is so good for the kits.

19. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Toy Designer

I agree with Bworg that regardless of your experience, get an MG. It's just better.

And not really that hard. :D 

20. Ace Convoy

News Credits:
    Ebay: