Customs: buying a DSLR camera

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Hakka, Sep 12, 2010.

1. Hakka

Hakka Well-Known Member

I recently got a Canon ixus 105 compact for photographing my customs, it takes a great photo but I would like full control over aperture and exposure settings etc.

I've been looking at a Nikon d3000 entry level DSLR, all reviews i've read are very positive. There's also the replacement model coming soon the d3100.

D3000

D3100

I'm not sure about pricing for the newer model yet but I assume it will be similar to the 3000. It has a few handy upgrades from the 3000.

Has anyone had any experience with this cam?

It comes with an 18 - 55mm lens, Is this lens ok for macro or should I look at getting a different lens bundled with the camera? I really only want it for macro stuff, I'll use my compact for pretty much everything else because of its size.

Is there another cam in the same price range that I should consider?

Thanks.

Hakka.

2. Scythe

Scythe Future Foundation

News Credits:
    I've never used that camera, but at work, I use a Panasonic Lumix as well as a few Canon Rebels. The Canon's belong to my workplace, but my Lumix is my personal camera that I love to use. It doesn't break the bank, at around a $3oo price tag, and features a neat little macro setting that I've used.

Here's a shot usin' it's macro setting

[​IMG]

Sadly, this image is in Jpeg form, the RAW file looks so much better.

It's a good entry level camera, otherwise goodluck on your search, hope ya find what ya like.

3. LeAmourVrai

LeAmourVrai Autobot

I would rather save up more or increase my budget to afford a D90 or D5000. Those are really good, and I mean it. :cool:  D3000 has a guide mode, despite being cool and all, D90 and D5000's other features beat it hands down! I'm currently saving up to get a D5000. D90 beats D5000 in some functions but the thing I like about D5000 is its TILTABLE SCREEN! :drool:  A tiltable screen is very very very useful when you are getting those tough angles... but a D3000 would be nice for someone new to DSLRs (not saying that you're lousy) and it certainly does provides awesome features! :)  In the end, it all depends on you, whether you are willing to increase that budget of yours...

And here are some reviews for D90, D3000 and D5000, so that you can compare:

Nikon D5000 Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review
    Nikon D90 Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review
    Nikon D3000 Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review

EDIT: I recommend you waiting for D3100 as it is a seriously whole new level as an upgrade of the D3000. And yet again, it's all up to you, you make the final decision. ;) 

EDIT 2: Oh and if you're more inclined towards looking for a camera to take good pictures of your Transformers, D90 would be a better option. But if you're more inclined towards looking to take good pictures EVERYWHERE, D5000 would be a better option.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2010
  4. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

My Dad and I just replaced our older cameras with the new Nikon D5000 and we love it! Problem is, it's smarter than we are at the moment!
    We purchased it because my Dad does write ups about RC airplanes/helicopters for magazines and we couldn't get our older cameras to take good action shots.
    This camera is pretty sweet. I plan on taking a couple of pictures of my collection to see how it compares to my 6 year old Sony Cybershot. I can't get close up details with it even with the micro option.
    I'd definitely save up for the D5000.

5. Hakka

Hakka Well-Known Member

Thanks guys.

I dont really want to increase the budget beyond entry level, its just for taking pics of TFs. Been doing a bit more reading and the 3100 sounds like the one. It doesn't get released until the end of the week, not sure what the pricing will be. It compares quite well to the D5000 on paper.

What about lenses? Is the standard lens (18-55mm for the d3000 - i think) ok for macro shots or should I look for a macro lens?

Hakka.

6. Hakka

Hakka Well-Known Member

What is it about the D90 that makes it better for TF pics?

Hakka.

7. LeAmourVrai

LeAmourVrai Autobot

Wrong choice of words... sorry. :eek:  But what I meant was D90 is a good camera that takes extremely extraordinary photos and is slightly better (every small little thing makes a huge difference!) compared to the D5000, but the disadvantage is that D90 does not have the tiltable screen like the D5000, thus making it inconvenient to take really low angles (which means you have to lie on the floor and trust me, lying on the floor in public is not a really good thing to do :p ). That's why I said D5000 is better for taking photos everywhere in terms of convenience. On the other hand, I prefer D90 for straight on / eye-level shots. Personally, I wish that Nikon would release a DSLR with the capabilities of D90 with a tiltable screen.

8. LeAmourVrai

LeAmourVrai Autobot

Same thing as before, it all comes down to your decision. And D3100 is not a bad model at all. :D 

The 18-55m lens... are you referring to Canon EF-S 18-55mm? If so, I wouldn't really use it for macro shots as the lowest the f-stop can go to is f/3.5 which is pretty high for macro shots. I recommend looking for macro lens (f/2.8). I hope this helps you. :D 

9. Jericho

Jericho Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The D90 is a much better camera than the D5000 but the D7000 is the replacement for the D90 so either hold off and get that one (if you want the latest and greatest) or just get a D90. I have one and LOVE it, it does everything I need to cover weddings, sporting events, my kid and transformers.

As for a lens, don't bother with a kit lens just order the body and buy (if money is an issue) the 35mm 1.8 lens - which is great for these shots, or get the 17-55 2.8 which is a great all around lens.

10. LeAmourVrai

LeAmourVrai Autobot

I personally prefer the D5000 despite it being a slight downgrade of the D90 but the tiltable screen makes up for it. D7000 is seriously awesome, but I would only get it in 1 or 2 years time... it costs a bomb though, and it doesn't have my all time personal plus factor, the tiltable screen. :D  And for the lens, 18-55m lens is okay and all for a macro but a macro lens with f/2.8 is way way way better for macro shots. :) 

11. Jericho

Jericho Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The tilt screen is nice, but it wouldn't help me at all unless it was a true tilt in that I could move it all directions. As it is if I used it for the event I covered last weekend it still wouldn't have helped when I raise the camera above the crowd since you still can't see the screen when holding the camera up high and at an angle to get the shot.

Does the D5000 have video, I can't recall.

Another, cheaper option would be to secure a D40X on the secondary market, unless they still make it.

12. Hakka

Hakka Well-Known Member

I picked up a D3100 with 18-55 and 55-200 kit lenses a few days ago. Still getting it all worked out but it seems great so far.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I originally only wanted it for TF pics but I've been taking photos of everything, even got up at 5am to get sunrise shots.

I also ordered a Nikon 70-300, Nikon 35mm f1.8, and tamron 90mm macro.

Hakka.

Attached Files: