buying a car...help?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by eyeballkid, Jul 30, 2011.

1. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Old

First timer for me, I want an SUV under 50,000 miles, maybe an '08, and I want to pay around 18,000. Any suggestions? I have my eye on a Jeep Commander. (green of course, I'm going to slap a Autobot sig on it, and call it Hound.)

2. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Well to be honest, what people suggest is mostly gonna come down to opinions. We like Jeeps, others don't, you get the idea. Taking that into account, figure out what you're into (Commander, Wrangler, whatever else you like), and then do a lot of online research for the sake of being able to find the best possible one with your variables in mind. Don't let yourself get too plugged up with trying to compare what you can see yourself driving to something that you couldn't because at the end of the day, you're not gonna by a Dodge Nitro (for example) anyway. Along with that, be willing to travel out of your city if need be (I got my car from another city but it was well worth it), and don't feel like you've gotta sacrifice on thing that you care about for another, especially if you've got some time.

That's really the best advice I can give you, and be sure to look into the vehicle's past history & whatnot (and not just the obvious price/colour/miles/etc).

3. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    BEST ADVICE...

1. Don't be afraid to walk away- Salesman will always use the "I'm bending over backwards" and "I'm selling it so cheap, my commission is zero" line. Just keep your downpayment/trade in to yourself at the beginning and negotiate the OVERALL price, not the monthly payment:2c: 

Make sure you check out a few places before buying the SUV.

2. Don't fall in love with a vehicle. It is not an animal or person, it's a car.

3. Get your own financing from a credit union, or make sure the dealer is giving you a pretty sweet interest rate

4. Do some research, print out KBB info on the vehicle, and show the guy "This is what i'm willing to pay"

4. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    my advice is always ask for the Carfax! and take it to a trusted mechanic to give it a once over.

5. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    ... even if it's deal-o-rama?

6. RisingPhoenix86

RisingPhoenix86 One of Soundwaves minions

News Credits:
    Step 1: Do Tons of research on the vehicle. Take in how the economy is and gas prices remember. Always look at the future in repair bills too. American will always be cheaper to fix but might be more frequent. And Foreign is tons more to fix usually in most cases.
    Step 2: Print out the Kelly Blue book on it.
    Step 3: Don't take rap from a dealer, always go lower then he is saying he can go.
    Step 4: Get a loan from the bank if your not paying all in cash.
    Step 5: Drive away happy.

7. KnightSaberAmi

KnightSaberAmi Nyan Nyan

I bought my Nissan Xterra back in '02 and still have him. Mine's been pretty solid since day one and I drive it at least 2 times per year from NH or VA since he was about 5. Honestly, I have had to make some repairs but really those were just maintenance.

Insurance companies are offering a plan that's sort of like an extended warranty I hear these are better than the extended warranties offered by the stealership. Do keep in mind that the extended warranty is negotiable.

Whatever you do get, make sure to change the oil every 3k miles or after a long trip and get the tires rotated every 6k. I replace the brakes every 2 years whether needed or not. Speaking of which I need to get on that again...Best of luck.

8. Sunstorm9119

Sunstorm9119 RC 1136

Ebay:
    Some good advice here, as a former Car Salesman myself let me expand on what has been said:

Step 1: Great Call, research will save you tons of time, and money. Salespersons (contrary to popular belief) LOVE customers who have some idea what they want!!

Step 2: KBB.com is great for Used Car Values. Edmunds.com should also be on the list. Once you have a car in mind, get values from BOTH sites, (cause they vary)

Step 3: Dealers make about 85% of their profit on USED cars!! New cars have profit built into the MSRP (sticker price) of about $1-2k. Used cars, well remember this, THEY BUY THEM AT AUCTION FOR AS LITTLE AS POSSIBLE!! I got called on the carpet by my Manager for only selling new, not Pre-owned, (nobody says used anymore) because that's where the money is made. Used cars are marked up between $2k all the way up to $10k. Ask the Salesman " How much do you have in this car?" That'll be how much the car cost them, plus what they had to spend to fix it. If you researched well, you'll have a good idea of this anyway. If they won't tell you ..LEAVE!! It's like asking for the invoice on a new car, if they won't show you...walk.

Step 4: BEST ADVICE EVER!!!! When you come to the dealer with a check you:

A. know exactly how much you can spend
    B. won't have to deal with negotiating a monthly payment, or most of the annoying shit (and from being on the other side of the desk, yes it's annoying)in the office with the Salesman, or the Manager...

Basically with outside financing, you have all the control, and they are at YOUR mercy.

Follow this advice, and let us know how it goes!!

9. Metal Chaos

Metal Chaos The Spark of Chaos

News Credits:
    If ya want an SUV I've heard good things about Scions, they are roomy, comfy, can carry quite a few people, have good reliability ratings and great gas mileage. Also they are pretty cheap new, you could probably buy a newerish Scion for 18k or less. As for the Autobot sigil you could still slap that on a Scion, you could call it Skids.

10. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Someone must've watched "The People's Court"...
    and it is great advice.
    if you find a car you really want, spend a C-Note to have it inspected completely before making a buy.
    and if they don't want you to take it to "your guy", then walk. because it's fishy for them to fuss about it.

11. Methos

Methos ...Hail Megatron

If you're willing to pay around $18,000,then go a little higher and just get a new vehicle with a good warrenty rather then taking the chance of buying someone else's problems.