buyer bidding on every 2008 botcon item

Discussion in 'Transformers On Ebay' started by sparkhunter, Mar 29, 2008.

1. sparkhunter

sparkhunter Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Check this out this ebay buyer is bidding on every 2008 botcon item that appears to be coming from asia.
    colleting_goober is the buyers name

I was emailed that he is from "hasbro" or a botcon rep trying to get all "stolen" botcon items back.

I had bought a starscream and prime myself and now have to sell them in order to pay some medical bills.

he is the one paying over 400$ for a botcon jazz.

just thought I'd share the info

2. clonemanager

clonemanager Hunter

News Credits:
    interesting if the information is real.

3. lookinglasself

lookinglasself 1.21 Jigowatts

Haha. I hope this is true. They need better security overseas at their factories! Some exclusives, if people (the sellers in Asia) can get them whenever they want and make a profit.

4. ian5555

ian5555 Well-Known Member

pretty soon they'll be like a drug lab with all naked people working there so they aren't stealing the product :) 

5. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hmm. Some interesting information if true... who's to say though? Still, they need to do something to tighten up security... though I do enjoy seeing the toys early on and reading the reviews by the guys on our board that buy them.

6. Overenergized

Overenergized Active Member

News Credits:
    Sounds possible, he paid $400 for a loose jazz and ignored the boxsets for a similar price. Also he's won numerous auctions for SS and Prime when most collectors are happy with 1 of each.

7. Omega_Sentinel

Omega_Sentinel Well-Known Member

This just goes to show that once the dust settles this set will NOT be worth what some collectors were thinking.

We have got to make sure we don't get carried up in all this pre-con hype for our own good.

8. sparkhunter

sparkhunter Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    well my auction is over and guess what the winner bidder is none other than brian savage from fort worth tx.
    so I guess botcon is truely trying to buy up all the "extra" botcon items

9. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hahaa! I thought so. XD

10. Orion P

Orion P Cybertronian P.I.M.P.

So i guess botcon doesn't want their shit leaking out. This isn't the first time that figures have come out before botcon, but this is the first time i've seen them do something about it.

11. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Back when spqqky (anyone remember him?) leaked Botcon Tigatron many years ago, I believe 3H or someone from 3H did the same.

12. lookinglasself

lookinglasself 1.21 Jigowatts

Glad to hear they're doing something about it.

13. Peaugh

Peaugh Hi.

News Credits:
    Well, here's my question, are they actually paying for these items? Or just buying them all on ebay to find out who has them. Seems incredibly silly for the club to spend that much money buying these up. I'd prefer my membership dollars actually go towards the club and the benefits they offer, not used to buy up all of these "pre-release" figures. Especially figures they've already revealed to us. If it were for figures we hadn't seen yet, that'd be one thing. I mean, these things are already out in the wild, people have them, it seems like a colossal waste to spend that kind of money to buy these back. I'm not saying they should have been leaked in the first place, just that once they HAVE been leaked, why put that much effort into trying to stifle them. Unless those figures ARE keeping the club from having enough for the people who ordered them. THAT would be scary.

14. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    :lol  you been watching american gangster :lol 

and then youll only find minicons leaked :lol 

id doubt it. if i was hasbro, why would i spend money buying back what was stolen from me. it just sounds dumb on paper. plus, hasbro doesnt lose if ppl buy botcon stuff on the low. FP does. hasbro may have the money to throw around, dont think FP does.

15. Peaugh

Peaugh Hi.

News Credits:
    That's just it though, apparently it's Brian Savage of FunPub buying all these up.

16. Red leader

Red leader Nom Nom Nom

News Credits:
    Do you think they are doing it just to jack up the prices and demand??? it seems a funny thing to do in all honesty, especially when they could just PWN the auctions and not pay

17. Alex5

Alex5 No Broken

Maybe it is their intention to reclaim the money through paypal/courts? I'm afraid I have no idea of the legalities surrounding this.
    Not sure how seriously they are taking it but it is quite clear with the number of prototypes and pre-release TFs we are seeing on the 'Bay, that employees are pocketing these for sale, and that it is inevtiable something will be done to attempt to stop it happening (even though that's nigh impossible).
    Now I don't know where FP's figures are made and so on, but I would be somewhat concerned over pending legal actions if a senior member of the company who holds the license has just bought a dubiously-acquired pre-release exclusive from me on eBay :eek: 

18. aussiehippy

aussiehippy Au contraire, Blackadder.

Ebay:
    Interesting... Would be nice if someone from FP popped in here to tell us what the score is.

If they are actually taking action about stolen pre-release pieces it would be an interesting precedent.

I always wondered how much effort it would be for a company to police ebay to try and stop traffic in counterfeit and pre-release goods.

19. Peaugh

Peaugh Hi.

News Credits:

But hyping the demand seems silly at this point, since they're sold out. And several of these were sold to other people before Brian started nabbing them. So it's not going to keep these out of the public. I really am wondering if they got shorted on their order of loose sets and are buying these up to complete them. It seems like the club's money could be put to better use than spending it keeping these out of the public this close to the convention when we'll all get them anyway. But that's my next point...

Oh, no kidding. I'm wondering if they're simply winning these auctions and, instead of paying, slapping the seller with a C&D. Not sure how that would work legally outside of the country, but still. If that's the case, I'm behind the club defending their toys, but I do wonder just how well it'll work in the long run.

Well, it seems like Brian's been doing a pretty decent job so far, but even then, several of these have been sold on ebay to several different buyers. It's possible they're all FunPub employees, but I doubt it. I think someone should ask about it at this year's panel.

20. Izzo01

Izzo01 Well-Known Member

So i wonder what happened to this guy