Buy Hercules? Or continue with my CHUG collection?

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by cartman5579, Jan 18, 2012.

1. cartman5579

cartman5579 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ultimately, i'd love the beast which is TFC Hercules! But, of course i'm not made of money and can only buy what i can afford at the moment. Currently i've been working on my classics collection and prime toys, buying figures as they show up for a good price. I've got some money to spend, which would probably get me close to completing my CHUG line of figures i want, then i'd just buy Hercules later. But my gut tells me that once the final two figures are released, these things are going to sell out and sky rocket in price.

So, i'd like some opinions... Please :) 

2. Cyclonus79

Cyclonus79 Decepticon General

Ebay:
    CHUG is my priority 1. Then MP's , then 3rd party stuff. I always get the official stuff first then 3rd party. Least that's how iv been rolling as of late.

3. CVprowl

CVprowl FREEDOM FIGHTER

i have a hard time thinking these can skyrocket in price. they are already close to $100 a pop. how much higher can they go???

that being said, i have 4 in hand already and waiting for 5 and 6 to be delivered.

Hercules is exactly what i wanted so there was no way to pass it up. my chug is almost complete. just waiting on warbot defenders re-release and the perfect effect arcee at the moment.

but, if you dont have the money hercules really isnt an option... maybe wait for the green maketoys giant?

4. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

If you have a limited budget and are really looking to buy the TFC Constructicons, it's probably best to allocate the funds you already have dedicated to Prime and Classics to the former.

5. cartman5579

News Credits:
    Ugh, such a tough call. This hobby sucks.. and doesn't suck. As bad as i want my 84, 85, and movie collection to be complete, i want that big bastard!

6. CVprowl

CVprowl FREEDOM FIGHTER

if i was going to sell most of my collection and only keep a few things, id definitely keep hercules. so i guess that means i think you should save up for herc.

7. cartman5579

News Credits:
    I have the 4 available ones sitting in my cart waiting to make the payment. Its a tough call considering i could buy 10 - 15 of my missing figures instead. The quality of the TFC figures looks amazing though, i'd love to have him.

I know its a judgement call, just figured id get some outsiders opinions. Thanks

8. llfalcon

llfalcon Well-Known Member

How many and which figures do you still need for your collection? Depending on which ones, many can be had for relatively cheap right now. And once they are gone, they will rise in price in the after market as well.

9. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    get herc now, cause u probably wont be able to get him later

10. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Rebuilding Veteran

News Credits:
    Originally: Huntington Beach, CA, Now: Cincinnati
    If I see all of them in one shot at Botcon at a decent price I will jump on it

11. cartman5579

News Credits:
    Anything i still need is off the shelf already, so i'm already working against the clock on that... lol

I'm starting to think the same.

12. CVprowl

CVprowl FREEDOM FIGHTER

buy herc. :) 

13. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    herc, i've got two of them so far, can't wait to get the rest

14. Astroscream

Astroscream News Cred > Street Cred

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Complete your Classics collection because I don't see any of those getting reissued. As far as Herc is concerned if those prices do skyrocket expect a second or third production run, a box set etc, anything to maximize profit......Oh Warbot Defender is in a surprise second run? Hard to believe these companies must want to make money.......

15. cheapdate

cheapdate Banned

Not really, as if that was the case, they would re-issue the really in demand ones. It's all a crapshoot. And third party items retain and increase value more drastically.

16. CVprowl

CVprowl FREEDOM FIGHTER

to really judge id have to see what chug figures you plan on buying. :)  henkei hound is awesome if you dont have him.

17. cartman5579

News Credits:
    One of my personal favorites of the CHUG line... spot on G1 representation other than the bird beak on ravage. lol

18. Billzilla

Billzilla Skeptic

News Credits:
    I agree with the thread so far: get Hercules.

Although if I had to do it all over again, I would not have preordered most of them. I've seen quite a few people getting rid of their Exgravers and Heavylabors at very nice prices- I assume because they preordered the first two at the same time but changed their minds for whatever reason.

And once Madblender is out, you'll get quite a few more Exgravers and Structors for sale from all the people who bought two of those to have a quasi-complete Herc, but who aren't interested in going whole hog and buying a complete second set.

Since Exgraver is on both of those lists, I really think you could probably get him for about $65 if you're vigilant in the couple of weeks after Mad Blender comes out.

Crank, MadBlender and Neckbreaker you should probably just go ahead and get from whichever retailer you like. You might be able to find a good deal on them, but it'll be more of a hassle than it's worth to save a few bucks.

But then once that dries up, the major online retailers will start to run out, then it'll probably get damn expensive. I'm sure some retailers will suddenly "find" some extra stock around botcon time, but those'll be marked up. You may be able to find some people who change their minds on herc once Giant is released, but that sounds like a big headache to me, especially since Giant is evidently delayed.

I'm sure in 2013 or 2014 there will be a rerelease/retool/boxed set of some kind at somewhere close to the original price, but I don't think that's particularly imminent. TFC has other projects that I assume they'll shift focus to after they do their post-Herc-completion victory lap.

So yeah, point is- the classics that are out are out. They aren't going to suddenly skyrocket in price. In fact many of them will lose value as new, better versions are released. iGear's PP-05 will probably send prices of Classics/Henkei Ironhide/Ratchet through the floor. Hegemon will probably take the piss out of Classics/Henkei/United Megatron. Once AcousticWave is released you'll see a lot of people change their minds on Music Label Soundwave. The list goes on and on.

The ones that will get and stay expensive are the ones that are unlikely to be improved upon in the near future. I'd say Mirage is on that list, so grab him ASAP. I think Jazz and Wheeljack will probably join them once the 2010-2011 figures are totally off the shelves.

Herc meanwhile is unlikely to be improved upon soon, so it follows that he would hold his value. Even if Giant is a big hit, Herc's reputation as "the big devastator" means his status as top dog will likely go unchallenged for the forseeable future.

In short, if you want herc, get him now or pay the price, but if you act now, you can probably get a good deal if you're smart.

19. vm-01

vm-01 Well-Known Member

Stop using your common sense now sir!

20. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I got this itch on the back of my neck that's telling me this will go the way of the new reflector. KO Heaven here it comes :)  I can see the mold being sold after their inventory is done (unless they keep getting orders).

I'm Surprised they don't get mass produced and recolored (for obvious reasons) and sold in family dollar for ten bucks like all the roadbots and other big bots that have similar engineering.

As for value going up? Aren't HQ KOs from the early 90s and earlier pretty pricey now?